Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
evmo_gw

Advice on curb appeal / exterior colors

evmo
14 years ago

I just bought a home in an older suburb of Columbus, OH. I'm looking to "spice up" the exterior appearance of the house, which is pretty spartan at this point (see pics). I recently installed some shrubs and a bloodgood Japanese maple, but would like to do more with the structure itself, which is painted entirely white.

My initial thoughts are to paint the door a bold color (perhaps matching the "blood" color of the Jap. maple) and to install shutters around the windows. The siding is vinyl, so I assume it will need to stay white.

Any other ideas? Thanks so much!

Comments (7)

• suero
    14 years ago

With a bloodgood red maple, paint the railings BM Briarwood, which goes with the trunk of the maple tree (I've got a bloodgood outside my front door, so I know). Paint the trim briarwood diluted 50% with white, paint the door a red that picks up the color of the bricks. Paint or stain the concrete a soft red.

• evmo
    Original Author
    14 years ago

suero, thanks for the ideas. I like how that looks. Would you suggest putting shutters around the windows? And if so, what color? Match the door, perhaps? Thanks.

• tjppnw
    14 years ago

What a cute house to start with...congratulations. Some thoughts - if you left the siding and trim white, paint the front door a deep, warm grey, you could add shutters to the upper window in the same color. Then I would add a long window box (also in a warm grey) to the lower window with lots of colorful flowers and greens. I change the numbers, the mailbox and light fixture on the house, something with a little more style and size. Paint or stain the concrete a grey, lighter than the door and get an indoor/outdoor rug (bigger than a door mat, , like a 3 or 4x6.) Then get a hanging basket to hang on the front left side of the porch and again-color with the flowers. And finally get a bunch of pots/containers-one on the porch next to the door with a taller green bush/tree and then varying sizes of them with flowers, greens, etc. on the porch next to them and set along side of the bottom of the steps , even in the mulched area, again layering size and color.

You have a wonderful foundation to start with, just add the pops of color and style!

• suero
    14 years ago

Definitely no shutters on the lower window. It would make the lower window overpower the house. Possibly on the upper window, although I'm not too keen on that. I like the idea of a window box, if you're into gardening.

• djdoggone
    14 years ago

Love tjppnw's suggestions. Looking at a vinyl siding website, here is something that could be done with your gable entry.

Here is a link that might be useful: {{!gwi}}

• tjppnw
    14 years ago

I just realized that I said the front left for the hanging basket, but I meant the front right.

I also had one other thought. If you still leave all siding and trim white, add a horizontal trim piece across the bottom of the gable, say 6" or so, probably big enough to take away the bottom 2 siding pieces. That trim piece would be white just like all the other trim, but you could center your house numbers on the trim.

One other option is changing the light fixture to be a ceiling vintage style fixture or a second fixture on the ceiling, as well as next to the door. Obviously the lights would be complimentary.

• evmo
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks everyone for the very helpful suggestions! I do garden a bit (this is GardenWeb, after all), and I think a few well placed window boxes and hanging baskets will complement the new trim paint.