Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hzdeleted_63513

Tall Pantry or Tall Cabinet Sources and Costs

User
13 years ago

I am lost here. Yes, I've been trying to find what the source catalogs are calling TALL CABINET or TALL PANTRY products which I can use to bookend a window seat in my dining room. One manufacturer even makes the window seat.

What I want has a footprint 24 wide x 24 deep.

It can be 90 inches tall, as tall as 96 inches if it comes unassembled, because our ceilings are 98 inches total.

It will have plywood build, with one side either decorative finished or possible to add decorative finish. The two I order will sit in the corners of a window wall with only one side exposed, the other attached to the intersecting wall.

The base portion will have one or possibly two doors which open to roll out shelves/drawers able to support canned goods or dinnerware. If they close quietly that would be a plus but not a necessity. The top portion behind a separate door can have an adjustable shelf or not.

I prefer the option to paint the tall cabs white, maybe add the beadboard wallpaper to the exposed side and on the door fronts. Nothing crude looking or unsightly, but sturdy and durable.

Do YOU have such a tall cabinet?

Can you show me a picture of it?

I originally wanted the Rev-A-Shelf roll out pantry which is about 80" tall to go inside the empty framework of such a cabinet. But their wire insert for such a pantry skeleton would be over $1500. I have their products and they are very well built and attractive, but I believe that for $1500 I should be able to get the whole product sitting in my dining room ready to paint and trim out like I want.

Truly, I HOPE I can get both tall cabinets for that price. I would be willing to sacrifice if the engineering of the product was sound.

I checked IKEA, and wanted their tall (high) cabinets, but they do not sell the cabs online with my choice of doors and panels. Frankly, my DH did not want anything which was not WOOD. But I think IKEA would be a great option in our small cottage dining room.

I've checked online Home Depot, Lowes,without much satisfaction. Various cabinet makers have them in their product line, but this could be a pricey way to go.

Please give me some idea of other places to explore. And your personal experience is appreciated too.

Comments (50)

• idie2live
    13 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

ML, I know this is not what you're looking for, but I thought you could research this site. They say it is all wood and they build to order also.
    Look at he last 2 cabinets, they are 90" and 96" tall.

Here is a link that might be useful: Tall Wood Cabinets

• mama goose_gw zn6OH
    13 years ago

I can't help with an 'off the rack' cabinet, but have you considered custom cabinets, built on site? Our large cabinet/closet is 55" wide (odd size, I know, but it was built to accommodate all of our folding chairs). It has simple lines, is built against one wall, and is trimmed with bead-board on the other side. It's very sturdy--my husband built it with 'hurricane brackets', because he says he knows that if we ever leave this house, I'll want to take the cabinets and window seats with me!

He estimates that we have ap. $350 in materials, and to hire someone else to make it would cost ap. $700. Your two cabinets, together, would be a little smaller, so should be approximately the same cost.

Here is a link that might be useful: {{gwi:2070334}}

• TxMarti
    13 years ago

ML, have you considered building anything yourself?

I found this blog with a lot of simple plans and I think I might build something like you describe using her plans as a guide.

Knock Off Wood

• desertsteph
    13 years ago

I'd check around for a custom cab maker too. numerous posters on kitchen found they were cheaper than the big box stores! and they got exactly what they wanted.

• User
    Original Author
    13 years ago

All three great referrals.
    Idie, Loretta, I'll check that one out further.
    And MamaGoose, I know DH could build them as part of the window seat will be his job too. BUT, I was hoping to get the Ikea products complete and installed WHILE HE WAS UP NORTH.
    Yes, he left last weekend and I want to move this project in place as soon as possible. It will let me get all the boxes out of the back bedroom, making space for the contractor to work on the tub bumpout and the walk in closet also.

With the construction/demo dust that's been in the house for half a year, I don't want any more things damaged. It is so hard to live in a house while it is being modified.

Mama, your cabinet looks exactly like I envisioned, only wider. I examined your window seat/bench, and it is what I was hoping for our end product--except we'd have two tall cabs and no fireplace surround. Your DH sounds just like mine--builds things for hurricane force winds and bombs under the house. He really did not LOOK at the Ikea products, just categorically said they were not what he wanted. But the base cabinets I picked up at Lowes for the back porch are of the same materials, and they look pretty good to me. Not as sturdy as wood maybe, but both sides are finished with decorative panels plus the door. So far we have not damaged either cab.

I'll go back to Lowes and talk to the kitchen planner there. Would you believe that in all the years I've browsed through that department and looked for someone to help me, only ONE TIME did anyone recognize I was a potential customer and stopped instead of walking on by? It was this kitchen planner at Lowes, and that is why I ended up buying two cabs there, with three Rev-A-Shelf inserts, all the kitchen and bath and porch tile, and faucets too. You know what they say about money talks.

• emagineer
    13 years ago

I have a small width pantry. Most of the time it drives me nuts with the stuff in back. I have been thinking of a drawer unit for the bottom and top it off with a short pantry. Drawers are in short supply in my kitchen and would use them more than shelving.

We had a beuatiful pantry come in at Restore. It had the top to bottom rotating storage attached to door, and inside that were pull outs, all wood. Was oak or I would have considered it fast. I had one in a home and loved this thing. Also the one you mentioned that has pull out options. We also get a lot of reva-shelf units. The guys have no clue how valuable these are. It would be nice if there was a reva-shelf outlet somewhere.

• prairie-girl
    13 years ago

Hi ML, sorry I'm late to the discussion. Have you phoned IKEA customer service to ask about their cabinet delivery? It seems really odd to me that they won't ship that when (it's my understanding) they'll ship everything else.

We have installed all our cabs and are kind of on a mini break I guess. We were going to custom make a cabinet as a pantry by our fridge but (in the interests of time) decided that we would go with IKEA after all. They don't sell an 18" (which is what we need) so we bought a 24" and DH just cut it down. We had planned on getting Lee Valley drawer hardware so as to use the whole depth of the drawers, but also (in the interests of time and easy) have gone with IKEA as well.
    I haven't taken a pic yet but will try to do so in the next few days. Some folks will think we're very odd because we are going to do drawers from floor to ceiling. I just think it makes sense to have something that I can pull out so as to see what's at the back. I figure I need a stool anyways, so with a stool I should be able to see everything in there.
    The sides that come with the cabs/pantry are finished white. Although they are not wood, IKEA cabs are very sturdy and I have no concerns about how they'll wear or last. (They come with a 25 yr warranty).
    HTH :o)
    ~Missy

• prairie-girl
    13 years ago

I went ahead and took a couple of pictures. Click on the thumbs for full-sized.

We are going to make drawer fronts for all of the drawers (I know I know - it's a lot lol) We wanted them shallow enough so that we could lay cans down and see them all at once when we opened a drawer. It's pretty custom, but that's one of the nice things about IKEA, you can modify it as much or as little as you want, whether with drawers, or shelves, or pull-outs behind doors. It's all completely modular.
    If you have any questions, I'm happy to answer if I can. :)

Oh, the current drawer fronts are just temporary. We made them out of cheap leftover mdf. DH is making all of the door and drawer fronts and any fillers that are needed.

• User
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Ok, Missy! Thank you for your first hand experience with Ikea.
    I presume that you ORDERED your pantry from them? Did you pick it up or have it shipped to you?

When you ordered, did you order it shipped from your closest store? Or was the order placed with their phone service?
    And shipped from a centra warehouse somewhere?

Did you get the Blum soft close full extension drawers?
    When you say your pantry was 24 cut down to 18, that means depth not width? In my case, I need 24 wide and 24 deep too.

Did you have to order a decorative side panel separate from the pantry order, or was it included in the pantry? Do you have a door to open and then drawers/shelves to roll out?
    How about uploading a picture of what you installed?

I think I could order the Ikea and get it shipped and installed and IN USE in a short while, doing all the work myself, if there was no circular saw required. I'm scared to death of that saw. I use hand tools mostly, with a ratchet screw driver.

I think the Ikea tallest "high cab" is 88 inches. That will be fine. Did you also have to order a floor base for the cab? With that beneath the 88" tall cab, it would go up to 92".....and our total ceiling height is 98".....If I build it in place, I won't have to worry about standing it up.

No, I have not called the Ikea phone number. I wanted to have a good idea about what I'd need to order to complete my cabinets.

I'm also considering roll out shelves at least, Missy. ALL the way up. In my case, I could hop up on the window seat and roll out those high up shelves a lot easier than I could drag in a ladder to take a look in the deep dark interior which does NOT roll out.

Also, there is ann alternate configuration. Getting up to THREE base cabs with the roll out shelves and stacking them, they'd have three doors, but that would not be my first choice.

We'll see if I can get the Ikea customer service or order folks on the phone this weekend.

Right now, I'm hot and cranky because our A/C quit working. Not the right time to plan an expenditure.

• prairie-girl
    13 years ago

I presume that you ORDERED your pantry from them? Did you pick it up or have it shipped to you?
    When you ordered, did you order it shipped from your closest store? Or was the order placed with their phone service?
    And shipped from a centra warehouse somewhere?

we picked it up from the local store - it's about an hour away from us here. We had just picked up the shell originally, as we were going to make our own drawers, but we went back and got their drawers with the Blum hardware (which I LOVE btw)

Did you get the Blum soft close full extension drawers?
    Yep - love em! When they say full-extension, that means that they do pull out all the way from the cabs. The drawers themselves are not 24" deep - they stop a couple of inches shy of the back of the cabs.

When you say your pantry was 24 cut down to 18, that means depth not width? In my case, I need 24 wide and 24 deep too.

We cut the width down to 18". It came as 24" wide, which is what you need, and all the base cabs are 24" deep, unless you specially order a 12" size. We only have 18" between the fridge and the wall, so DH just cut off the top, bottom, and back and then we installed 18" drawers in it.

Did you have to order a decorative side panel separate from the pantry order, or was it included in the pantry?
    We did not, because ours is between the wall and the fridge, so nobody would see the sides. We wouldn't have had to in any case, because the finish on the sides of the pantry are the same as the cabs themselves. The extra panels are not included, but you can buy them if you want. I think that they would be much more important if you were buying the wood (or coloured) door and drawer fronts)

Do you have a door to open and then drawers/shelves to roll out?
    We do not have the door/drawer combo as we didn't want it. Opening a door, then a drawer seemed like extra work to me. If you wanted it, you could if you chose. It's just a different interior that you would order.

How about uploading a picture of what you installed?
    done. :o)

I think I could order the Ikea and get it shipped and installed and IN USE in a short while, doing all the work myself, if there was no circular saw required. I'm scared to death of that saw. I use hand tools mostly, with a ratchet screw driver.
    If the cabinet is the right size, and you order the drawers/shelves etc, you should not need any power tools at all. The only ones we used were drivers to quicken the screwing process, and the saws/routers to make the temp. drawer fronts and resize the pantry.

I think the Ikea tallest "high cab" is 88 inches. That will be fine. Did you also have to order a floor base for the cab? The cab comes as a box, with top, bottom, sides, and back. You order what you want inside separately, unless you buy a complete pantry.

With that beneath the 88" tall cab, it would go up to 92".....and our total ceiling height is 98".....If I build it in place, I won't have to worry about standing it up.

Each cabinet sits on legs that come separately. We used them on the outer cabs, and DH built a base for the island cabs. I believe the 88" would include the legs - so the total height would be 88".

No, I have not called the Ikea phone number. I wanted to have a good idea about what I'd need to order to complete my cabinets.

I'm also considering roll out shelves at least, Missy. ALL the way up. In my case, I could hop up on the window seat and roll out those high up shelves a lot easier than I could drag in a ladder to take a look in the deep dark interior which does NOT roll out.
    So far I'm loving having all those drawers - it's so easy to see everything!! Even the stuff wayyyyy at the back!

Also, there is ann alternate configuration. Getting up to THREE base cabs with the roll out shelves and stacking them, they'd have three doors, but that would not be my first choice.
    Yes, that wouldn't be my favourite either. I think the full-sized one piece would make better use of the space, although the smaller pieces would be easier to assemble and get in place by yourself.

We'll see if I can get the Ikea customer service or order folks on the phone this weekend.

Right now, I'm hot and cranky because our A/C quit working. Not the right time to plan an expenditure.
    Aw, sorry about the A/C. I actually turned our furnace back on today because it's been so cool!

• User
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Prairie, your last post is a GOLD MINE. Thank you so much.
    Cannot think of more questions at this moment.
    But, I got the email with links to your pics, and they were not there. And now online, there is no link showing up.

I looked at your previous post and saw two pics of your tall cabs. Also noticed that you seem to have the same technique used in the shelves under your island? VERY nice.

I will plan on a door covering the roll out shelves.
    But...now I have another question....

How deep are the shelves that you installed? Are they the 4" deep ones, with a higher back bar to keep things from falling out the back? Can you get shelves/drawers which are deep? Did you do that?

I will ask the Ikea folks when I order. They will not send the Kitchen catalog out, you have to go into the store to get a copy. I would like to hold one in my hand and flip back and forth to decide how much of everything I need.

I agree with you. Packing that big ole storage cab with shelves and drawers is creating space without enlarging your kitchen.

Why I want two (other than a symmetrical look to the dining room) is to store my fabric in some of the roll outs. And of course, all the plates I love but don't use frequently.
    For that, I want a little old fashioned plate rack right in the kitchen, with room for about 12 plates and some shallow salad bowls, probably over the silverware drawer. BUT, if I put a LOT of shelves/drawers in the dining room, I may move the silverware into the pantry.

Oh JOY!!!! I have something to think about designing and that will lull me to sleep tonight, even though I am hot and sweaty. Thank you so much. LOVE IT.....

• User
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Oh good grief! GWeb lost my whole reply.

Lets see....what did I say...
    THANK YOU MISSY.
    I'll think a bout what I asked and write it tomorrow.
    Your response gives me something to think about as I fall asleep. Love what you did with your pantry.

• desertsteph
    13 years ago

prairie girl - someone on kitchen had her cabinet guy do something real similar to your drawers - in the space between her fridge and the wall. She posted it again in the last few days. If I run across it I'll post it here.

moccasin - I had these pics in my idea folder... looks somewhat like you want - with a bench between instead of a fridge!

the brown one is IKEA. just posted on kitchen forum. the other could be IKEA - I just don't know...

{{gwi:2070347}}

• desertsteph
    13 years ago

it's circuspeanut's kitchen -

• emagineer
    13 years ago

Keep your solutions coming. I thought I was the only one with an 18" wide pantry. Thanks for photos and great discussion for ideas.

• prairie-girl
    13 years ago

Hi, sorry I'm running out the door to my son's grad ceremony this morning, but will try to reply more fully this evening.

It's weird that IKEA won't send you a catalogue!!

On the other hand, for kitchens, I found that the actual catalogue was not very good - it is not as complete as the online site.

I am posting a link to an IKEA page that you may find helpful. I will post more later - sorry I haven't any more time this morning.

Here is a link that might be useful: ikea high cabs

• Shades_of_idaho
    13 years ago

This is a really interesting thread. Lots of great information here. I did see at local store the nice heavy slide out metal shelf thingies to make a shelf a drawer. Going to measure and see if any will fit our needs here.

Missy I am LOL ing at your drawer fronts. I know they are temporary. My brain jumped to us naming our houses and "House Of Slats" came to me for your house as your kitchen is now. Not being critical just sharing the thought and thought it was sort of funny. Loving what you are doing with all your drawers. Drawers are so handy. I think in our last kitchen with all the furniture I placed in there I had something like 27 drawers. Was wonderful. hummm Counting the big plastic drawers in island and pantry I still have 26 drawers here.

Chris

• User
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I've visited that Ikea link multiple times. It does not answer my questions about what I will need to complete a unit as I wish. And they do have a printed catalog just for the kitchen, which I've held in my hot little hands, but the lady who loaned it to me had to get it back. She picked it up in the Atlanta store.

But I've spent most of the DAY browsing the online catalog for Lee Valley's hardware items. My golly gee whiz, that is awesome. In it, I saw so many items which I noted to be of possible use to a lot of you folks.

And I mean Idie2live, emagineer, marti8a, shades, and even prairie. And moi, of course.

The section that I recommend checking out is in their hardware catalog. It is useful to look at it, because you can pick up alternative TERMS which might help in a search. It was highly educational. For instance, they used the terms "tall cabs," and "pantry" and "larder" for all the things I would be interested in. They had the Blum full extension "slides" and "runners" and the "dampers". They had wire shelving units which looked as substantial as Rev-A-Shelf's, but mentioned no trade name. Individual drawer pull outs, in wood or wire, high capacity up to 220 or 250 lbs or down to 22 lbs per drawer.

I would start in their hardware catalog around page 189, and go all the way thru at least page 221 where the roll out larder is shown. The whole catalog is a learning experience. They even sell jigs which let you install the drawer slides level and properly matched.

For emagineer, I suggest p. 198, which shows a cab pull out to convert a broom closet into a canned goods pantry rated to hold 210 lbs. Oh, and also p.221 Item F shows a roll out larder. Love that word.

For shades, I suggest p. 228 where they show self supporting window rod and/or brackets, Item W, so the kitty wont be able to pull down the tension rods with your curtains. You can also use this for glass shelves in the window wide enough to set flower pots in the kitchen window.

Then for anyone wanting to hang invisible mount shelves, they call em blind shelf supports to put on your wall studs, then fit your shelf over it. That's on p.231.

A lot of the swivel hooks and such that I had a hard time finding are stocked by Lee Valley. Like Prairie, I may become a frequent shopper of their things.

Now, I hope this will post. My a/c is working, the temp inside the house is down to 83 and I'm under a ceiling fan, so I will live. The poor technician said his truck showed ambient temp outdoors of 101. I do not doubt it. Thank heaven I did put the shade cloth on the west-facing windows.
    Whew....and thank heaven also for the auto icemaker and the cold water dispenser inside the french door fridge. How nice not to refill ice trays. Life is good.

Here is a link that might be useful: Lee Valley hardware catalog

• prairie-girl
    13 years ago

Steph, those pics are great, thanks for posting!
    lol Chris - it has a fun ring, doesn't it? hehehe I'll have to tell my DH that we've finally found a name for our 'wee hoose'

ML, Lee Valley hardware is awesome. As I mentioned before, we were planning on using it in the pantry, as they have longer extensions. The reason we're using IKEA is to save time/effort. DH would have had to make all of the drawer boxes if we'd used Lee Valley. This way I could just pop into Ikea and buy all 12 of them. It saved DH days (if not weeks) of work, building the boxes, drilling holes for the hardware, and installing them. With the 'modular' features of Ikea, we just bought the drawers, put them together, and placed them where we wanted in the cabinet.

The interior of the drawers are about 20" from back to front.

What questions exactly do you have regarding Ikea that you're having trouble with finding the answers to?

The only questions that you've posted that I haven't answered (I think) are these ...

How deep are the shelves that you installed?
    We did not install any shelves - they are all individual drawers.

Are they the 4" deep ones, with a higher back bar to keep things from falling out the back?
    For the pantry, they are all the 4" drawers - the backs rise 3" above the bottom of the drawer. We wanted all shallow drawers as the stuff we're putting in there is short.

Can you get shelves/drawers which are deep? Did you do that?
    You can get deeper drawers - We have them in the other lower cabinets. The backs of the taller drawers are 6" deep from the bottom of the drawers. The IKEA fronts would be the same I would imagine. The sides are not solid - they are 3" tall, and there's a bar that goes across the top.

If you were to get the 24" pantry with drawers, you could easily add extra 24" drawers. You could get as many as would fit in the space. We chose not to install any of the shelves that came with the pantry - we put all drawers instead. We had to purchase them separately, as we did not buy a pantry 'kit'. When DH makes the fronts, there will not be any spaces in between them. They will fit next to each other, as drawer/door fronts should.

The larger Ikea drawers have a 250 lb weight max.

Here are a few close-ups of a few of the drawers. Hopefully they help. :) Click for full-sized.

Showing the 'full-extension'. You can see the back of the drawer lines up with the front of the cabinet. This is one of the shallow drawers.

Here's a pic of the back of one of the taller drawers. Sorry, we haven't put the rails in yet. You can see the holes where they would attach. This is probably the one thing we aren't thrilled with. We'd like solid sides, but for the few we'd need, I thought I could get creative.

Here's one of the shallow pantry drawers with cans in it.

• prairie-girl
    13 years ago

ps... I have used Lee Valley products for years. The day the hardware catalogue arrives is like Christmas around here. lol

We had a Lee Valley pantry unit in the kitchen we just took out. I liked it - it was VERY sturdy and heavy, but found that it did not make good use of the space. The shelves were way smaller than the overall size of the cab, and I found that stuff fell out a lot.

If you look closely at the pic in the link below, you can see that the bottom rail is much deeper than the actual shelves. I think the new Ikea drawers we are using make MUCH better use of the available space.

We sold it (Lee Valley larder) on CL before we started this current reno.

Here is a link that might be useful: the Lee Vally Larder that we had

• prairie-girl
    13 years ago

pps.... and dang I wish there was an 'edit' button on these posts

it looks like you can order an Ikea catalogue online.

Here is a link that might be useful: send me an Ikea catalogue

• desertsteph
    13 years ago

moccasin - that was very nice of you to post the things others may need!
    Lee Valley will also send out a free catalog.

prairie girl - you're welcome!
    I love your shallow drawers! so useful - much more than the Lee Valley one for sure.

here's a pic of IKEA drawer with rail on it. look at the bottom drawer that the waste bin sets on -

• prairie-girl
    13 years ago

Yes, the 12 inch Ikea pullout is really nice for the garbage. We did kind of the same thing, except we put the garbage drawer up higher, and changed it from a pull-out with two hidden 'drawers' to regular drawers.
    This means we can scrape directly off of the counter into the garbage can, which sits right under the lip of the counter.
    The spare bags etc are stored in a drawer underneath the garbage 'drawer'.
    We only put two drawers in that cabinet. The third one (the 12 inch lower cabs only come as a 3 drawer pull-out or shelves) we put into one of the other 12 inch lowers to make one with 4 drawers instead of 3.

Steph's picture also shows how the rail sits on the deeper drawer to make higher sides.
    ~Missy

• prairie-girl
    13 years ago

ps ... thanks for finding a pic with the rail, Steph. :o) It shows it better than any description.

• Shades_of_idaho
    13 years ago

Thank you so much ML for the catalog link. WOW There is hardly a page I flip to I do not need to make larger to explore I can see this is going to be a favorite link for me and I have already passed it to my husband and another friend. AND I am only into the Hardware catelog and there are so many others to go through. WOW WOW WOW

Chris

• User
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Yes, the Lee Valley source should get a lot of us inspired.
    So many posts with information that I want to print out the thread so I can spread the pages on the bed to sort while I drink my coffee. I too am a visual person.

When I feel "centered" and relaxed, not during a low sugar episode, I will try to organize a list of Ikea parts. I wanted the Ikea in the first place, and I should know not to second guess. My DH says I am not logical as he is, I just make a leap and land in the right place, intuitively.
    Guess I am a right brainer. Better than a no-brainer, would you say? :)

Be back later today.

• desertsteph
    13 years ago

"we put the garbage drawer up higher"

prairie-girl - that sounds like a good idea for me to do also! I want mine under the sink, so it'd be a bit lower but high enough to help access w/o bending etc. I just need a small one since it's just me and I'd rather empty it out more often. Don't want anything hanging around inside the house because of my dog.

• User
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I've been thinking about all the ideas you've put forth to really add a lot of efficiency to our cabinets, whether that be in the kitchen or the bath or elsewhere. And just because we are living in smaller homes, does not mean our kitchens are always tiny spaces. With these cabinet inserts and hardware options, what we will have is a kitchen that functions like a command center!

Something as simple as raising the garbage drawer higher can help keep meal prep easier and clean up a cinch. I'm trying to figure how to get a 12" cab with the roll out garbage drawer too. I want it by the sink but may have to be satisfied putting it elsewhere. Like make it a recycling rollout on the opposite wall, near the back door. BUT, we'll see how that comes together next year. Cannot even think about doing the kitchen until then, when the other projects are complete.

• User
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Here is the link, they make these from 84" tall to 96" tall I think, and various widths including 18".

Here is a link that might be useful: Unfinished tall pantry cabs

• desertsteph
    13 years ago

moccasin - that's a great looking tall cabinet with slide outs! one like that would even be great to have in a bathroom. I have a skinny 'pantry' like that with set shelves in one of my bathrooms - I plan to put slides on the shelves. I want to be able to just pull the 'shelf' out to access what's on it - towels, soap, lotions, etc.

don't wait too long to start scouting the stuff for a kitchen redo tho. My sister thought I was nuts to start last spring when I thought I'd be redoing it this next winter. not too soon for me at all! I've hounded the kitchen forum and copied out tons of pics and some posts of ideas into folders on my computer. I've got most things down to 3-5 choices per item (faucet, sink etc). that way if something causes me to make a change at the last minute I'll already have options to switch to. I won't have to scramble and research something or 'settle' for something I really don't want.

or course there's me just changing my mind a few (many) times also - lol! hopefully with having another yr to go I'll have changed my mind enough times to be tired of doing that and will stop it - lol!

of course, I don't have as many other projects going on now like you do. I am looking at flooring for different rooms tho. and sorting, clearing out to move (someday...). THAT is one big chore!

• User
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Desertsteph, I know you've been hanging with the kitchen dudes too, I sometimes do that myself. But right now, I am in a real quandry.

I found the old 2009 IKEA Kitchen printed catalog, and am trying to figure what it is they mean about the things included. For the HIGH CABINETS, it says,
    " Prices includes frame, doors, hinges, drawers, legs, wire baskets, pull out cleaning storage and shelves where shown. Drawer and door dampers are included in all combinations except for the ARLIG series. The RATIONELL drawer and door dampers are sold separately. Toekicks and knobs/handles sold separately...."

So. What sort of drawer and door dampers are included? And would it be a better idea to get the Rationell drawer and door dampers? It does not mention "full extension drawers" at all. Would that be what the Rationell drawer and door fittings do? Or are the drawers full extension anyway? No mention of needing to purchase DRAWER FRONTS for the roll out drawers behind the hinged Stat doors. Will I need to order those too?

And, the doors come with the configuration I'm looking at, and I still wonder if I can order a side panel in the same look, which is the STAT in white? And will it be a single tall panel or do I get it as the doors, a high door and a short door above that which I attach as the side panel?

I don't want to order the door pulls, I have a style I'm getting locally.

It says LEGS are included "where shown" but nothing has a set of legs included in the drawing. No big deal, but I sure cannot put it together if I don't start with the base.
    My ceilings are 98 inches, and the cabinet is 88 inches, I think w/o the legs. So laying it on its side to attach legs after it's put together does not seem like an option to me.

My order will be for the HDW2488 Stat white, which is 24w x 24d x 88h.......

And while I'm at it, I decided to have them ship the BDI18 which is a base cab 24d x 18w x 30h w/ pull out ironing board, with visible legs, also in the Stat door. Guess I'll need a Stat side panel for that also, unless I change it to the Rubrik stainless steel option.

I am like a swimmer standing on the diving board, bouncing up/down/up/down. I don't know what else I'll need to order.

How about the brackets to attach the tall cabinets and the base cabinets to the wall? Are those a separate purchase with Ikea? Just how helpful will the folks be when I place my order by phone?

Maybe they'll send me a 2010 Kitchen catalog if I order some stuff.

I await your advice on this latest flurry of questions.
    Thank all you who are talking me through this.

• emagineer
    13 years ago

I just looked at the IKEA site for shipping costs. Gads, it would cost close to $500 to have one of the cabinets shipped. This is due to my location. Somewhere I did see that IKEA was coming to CO. A good 1 1/2 hour drive, but loved them in CA and would be a fun shopping day.

• User
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Prairiegirl says: "Yes, the 12 inch Ikea pullout is really nice for the garbage. We did kind of the same thing, except we put the garbage drawer up higher, and changed it from a pull-out with two hidden 'drawers' to regular drawers.
    This means we can scrape directly off of the counter into the garbage can, which sits right under the lip of the counter.
    The spare bags etc are stored in a drawer underneath the garbage 'drawer'.
    We only put two drawers in that cabinet. The third one (the 12 inch lower cabs only come as a 3 drawer pull-out or shelves) we put into one of the other 12 inch lowers to make one with 4 drawers instead of 3. "

I saw the picture posted by DesertSteph, and see that the cab front pulls open and the garbage drawer on the bottom opens with it. The other two drawers above it are free, and you can pull them out or leave them closed. Right?

But what you are telling me, Prairie, is that you moved the garbage UP and probably cut the front door so that when you pulled out the top to wipe your trimmings/trash into the can, one single drawer was beneath it and was not opened. You could pull it out as separate drawer with a different drawer front or was it the other portion of the cabinet door?

How did you arrange the door of the cabinet so it was normal looking? Do you have a photo you could upload of that? Then I would know what you mean. Nothing like a good photo to give me an AHA! moment.

• User
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Emagineer, I know what you mean about the shipping costs. But I've checked to see if my Atlanta store, the closest one, has what I want in stock, and they do not. So that would mean order from Ikea Direct. And over at IkeaFans, they tell me to call the store and ask if I can even place an order while I'm there for the Ikea Direct. They are separate entities. And while Ikea Direct is supposed to have everything to do with kitchens, some of the smaller things would not be in their warehouse. Haven't a clue as to what those smaller things consist of.

And I'd HEARD that Ikea has the Blum Blumotion drawer runners and dampers, but so far have not run across any mention of them. Could that be what they are calling the RATIONELL system?

Anyway, I am trying to find my way around at IkeaFans.com and now have one very nice lady in Nashville who is giving me the benefit of her experience creating her kitchen (2 of them) via Ikea. She recommends SCHMOOZING and making yourself a familiar figure to the personnel, and finding someone who is smart and experienced, and preferably a FEMALE....sorry Jay, present company always excluded, no reflection on you as a male.

I can live without a designer grade kitchen, but I want to be the one to make my choices before laying out the cash. And I figure by going through this tall cabinet experience which is NOT critical as to fitting into a really restricted space, then I'll have learned the playing field and also the players on the Ikea team. Because I do plan to WIN, whether it is playing with Ikea's team or with some other cabinet makers. I can cobble together something which will suit DH and myself just fine, and do the job very nicely thank you. You might say patience is a virtue which is in short supply around here. What was the joke about someone praying to God for patience and they wanted it RIGHT NOW? :) I humbly beg your indulgence and forgiveness.

• desertsteph
    13 years ago

"So. What sort of drawer and door dampers are included?"

gee, I don't even know what a 'damper' is for a door or drawer! I don't know what ARLIG or RATIONELL are either. are those names to a door/drawer front design?

i would think that the pull outs behind doors don't get 'fronts' on them - they don't on other cabs.

I thought the blum slides were for all drawers from IKEA. maybe someone on 'kitchens' knows?

have you searched 'rationelle system'? maybe that will tell you...

the legs put the bottom shelf up off of the floor and then you put the toekick around it - so it makes up with other cabs next to it. you might be able to make the legs short? they are adjustable. if you do 4" legs that'd be 92" tall and you'd have 6" more inches - right? then add trim at the top.

"you moved the garbage UP and probably cut the front door so that when you pulled out the top to wipe your trimmings/trash into the can, one single drawer was beneath it and was not opened. You could pull it out as separate drawer with a different drawer front or was it the other portion of the cabinet door? "

I think she means putting the trash bin 'drawer' at the top with the larger drawer front on it and then putting a regular drawer below it with a shorter drawer front. Sometimes people put 1 drawer under a wall oven to use the space below the oven. I've even seen them do that when they install a dw up higher.

• desertsteph
    13 years ago

"so it makes up with other cabs next to it."

in my post - 'makes' should be 'matches'...

• User
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Ok, Steph, you are so patient with me.
    This is again about the drawers.
    If the ones behind a pull out are not attached, and they do not have a decorative panel attached, what serves as a front side to complete the drawer box?

In your doorless pantry, you are putting fronts on all the drawers that pull out separately. Pretend that I won't be making anyything for the drawer fronts, and won't be buying the long door panel to cover the drawers. Does Ikea sell the drawer fronts for even closely packed drawers as in your tall cabinet? I really like the look of your pantry and the photo of the other doorless pantry you posted of circuspeanut's kitchen.

But in my dining room, I will need decorative fronts on the rollout drawers if I do not use a tall door to cover them.

Well, I am meditating....should I choose from an option already researched, or should I look further? The more I look the more confused I get, too much information when a new choice appears, so I am thinking.

With a high shipping cost, I could maybe put money I'd save on shipping and buy locally, then get the RevAShelf full rollout pantry which is on sale now. Not as adjustable as the modular Ikea. But really strong. I'll be thinking about it. But what I want is the very full use of the basic cabinet, which is what you are doing. Hopefully I have what it takes to build such a set of cabs myself.

Thank you so so much for helping with this. Your experience is invanluable.

• desertsteph
    13 years ago

moccasin - no problem! I almost always have trouble visualizing w/o a pic. a very clear pic at that!

here's 2 other pics - note how the drawer fronts while only attached to the lower 'drawers'(pullouts) they cover the upper ones so that it doesn't need it's own drawer front. the upper drawers (pullouts) will need to be pulled out separately once the 'drawer front' is pulled out - if you need access to stuff in those 'drawers'. To close it's like most pullouts, you have to push it closed THEN also close the outer 'drawer' (drawer front). For this reason I think I'd only use these for things used together - like the shallow top ones for lids to the pans in the deeper drawer below. or maybe something i didn't use often. I wouldn't want to be constantly opening 2 'drawers' like that. But they do have their uses.

And don't feel bad if you still don't understand it. let me know and i'll see if I have a better pic.

here's a pic of a trash bin installed up higher! If one wanted to they could put it at the very top and have the drawer front be a fake shallow drawer (like top drawer) or even several of them - to make it look like a 4 drawer stack. the 4th drawer could be a real drawer where you store the trash bags etc

• TxMarti
    13 years ago

Those Ikea units are really nice-looking. I had no idea they had anything that looked like that. I'm going to bookmark this thread so I can look at all these links when we start on the kitchen.

• User
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Steph, I am getting the picture MUCH better with your help.
    When you order the cabs in the latest pictures (above), how did you order the drawer fronts? Were they ordered by SIZE separately? Were they ordered as one piece to give the appearance of multiple drawers and then cut apart?

For my tall cabs in the dining roomn, I'm wanting at least ONE of them to have the separate drawer fronts all the way top to bottom, individually. Then the other one could have a single tall panel which either A)swings open from the side to reveal separate roll out drawers, or
    B) An attached single tall panel which pulls out a rollout pantry unit like the Rev A Shelf thingy.

It says in the description of the frame only for the tall cabinet, that there are fixed shelves for stability? Or when you buy the very tall cabinet alone, not fitted out, is there even one or two fixed shelves provided? If not, then I can get the very tallest Rev A shelf, should I choose that route, and get the single door to attach to it.

This is looking more do-able all the time.
    If they should have the plain frame painted white in stock at the Atlanta store, I could drive up there and pick it up, as well as a huge number of the drawers and the rollouts/dampers and maybe the bases or legs strong enough to hold all that up.

Did you use bases that your DH built? Did you use the Ikea legs and toekick panels? Did you get any of their filler strips to fill any gaps between the drawers or the fridge or other cabinets?

Thanks for the picture of the garbage in a raised location. I might have to install a unit for trash directly under one of the sink in that cab. I won't be doing this until we get to the final kitchen redo, but meanwhile I will see if I can put a recycle bin in another cab elsewhere.

When DH is not stuffing the cans super full, I try to empty them every night, regardless of their degree of fullness.
    Taking things out frequently means you can get by with a more manageable sized trash can.

• desertsteph
    13 years ago

those aren't my cabs. but I think I copied them all from 'kitchens' for my idea folder. I can look to see if I kept the name of the gw-er, then maybe you can post on 'kitchens' and ask about them.

the last pic looks like it could be a door (w/o holes for knob or hinges) with a center strip painted to match and glued in there. or maybe even a big drawer with the strip put in the middle.

I agree on keeping the trash moving on out...and allows for a smaller bin!

• idie2live
    13 years ago

Moc, this is a good thread. I don't have any advice, but I am reading and following along.

• desertsteph
    13 years ago

ok, of the 3 above I think the 1st is custom made - looks like it. I think she posted recently (days) on a thread about pot/pan drawers.

the 2nd (barewood) was posted by thrilledtoremodel. she posted recently I think.

3rd I'm pretty sure was posted by dotcomgone.

you could search on 'kitchens' by their gw name and see what pops up. if nothing, then post a thread to them - asking questions about the 'drawers'.

• Shades_of_idaho
    13 years ago

Great cabinet ideas. I am also enjoying this thread. I am considering the pull out metal racks for some where in my cabinets. Just not sure where yet.

• prairie-girl
    13 years ago

Hi, sorry I've been MIA again for awhile.

Looks like you've got some great answers already. I'll try to fill in my answers as well - please forgive me Steph (and others) if I duplicate what you've said.

I found the old 2009 IKEA Kitchen printed catalog, and am trying to figure what it is they mean about the things included. For the HIGH CABINETS, it says,
    " Prices includes frame, doors, hinges, drawers, legs, wire baskets, pull out cleaning storage and shelves where shown. Drawer and door dampers are included in all combinations except for the ARLIG series. The RATIONELL drawer and door dampers are sold separately. Toekicks and knobs/handles sold separately...."

So. What sort of drawer and door dampers are included? And would it be a better idea to get the Rationell drawer and door dampers? It does not mention "full extension drawers" at all. Would that be what the Rationell drawer and door fittings do? Or are the drawers full extension anyway? No mention of needing to purchase DRAWER FRONTS for the roll out drawers behind the hinged Stat doors. Will I need to order those too?

The door and drawer dampers that are included (make sure you order them - soft close dampers aren't automatically included) work exactly the same as the BLUM ones. IKEA calls them Rationell. I'm not sure why. I did read on some site somewhere (sorry, don't remember where) that they are not identical. When you order the pantry, all of the necessary hardware should come with it. Make sure you specify that you want the dampers - they don't necessarily come with, if you don't specify them.

And, the doors come with the configuration I'm looking at, and I still wonder if I can order a side panel in the same look, which is the STAT in white? And will it be a single tall panel or do I get it as the doors, a high door and a short door above that which I attach as the side panel?

I would suggest calling them to get the definitive answer to that exact question. We did not order sides as we are doing plain white and the sides of the cabs themselves are exactly that. We also went in person, it may be different when you order over the phone.

I don't want to order the door pulls, I have a style I'm getting locally.

It says LEGS are included "where shown" but nothing has a set of legs included in the drawing. No big deal, but I sure cannot put it together if I don't start with the base.
    My ceilings are 98 inches, and the cabinet is 88 inches, I think w/o the legs. So laying it on its side to attach legs after it's put together does not seem like an option to me.

All of the base cabinets need legs. The pantry box would sit evenly with other base cabs, so it would need the same legs. They are kinda cheap plastic thingys - but very easy to adjust if your floor isn't exactly perfectly even.

My order will be for the HDW2488 Stat white, which is 24w x 24d x 88h.......

Double check the height - it looks like they offer a couple of diff height cabinets. It wouldn't be fun if you ended up getting the wrong one.

And while I'm at it, I decided to have them ship the BDI18 which is a base cab 24d x 18w x 30h w/ pull out ironing board, with visible legs, also in the Stat door. Guess I'll need a Stat side panel for that also, unless I change it to the Rubrik stainless steel option.

I am like a swimmer standing on the diving board, bouncing up/down/up/down. I don't know what else I'll need to order.

How about the brackets to attach the tall cabinets and the base cabinets to the wall? Are those a separate purchase with Ikea? Just how helpful will the folks be when I place my order by phone?

The brackets are separate - but when they help you put together your order, they should include all of that kind of stuff. For instance, even though we have 3 cabinet runs, we only got one bracket - my DH just cut it into the appropriate lengths.

Maybe they'll send me a 2010 Kitchen catalog if I order some stuff.

Did you try the link I posted above to order a catalogue online? It looked like a pretty simply process. :o)

I await your advice on this latest flurry of questions.
    Thank all you who are talking me through this.

***** next post*****

But what you are telling me, Prairie, is that you moved the garbage UP and probably cut the front door so that when you pulled out the top to wipe your trimmings/trash into the can, one single drawer was beneath it and was not opened. You could pull it out as separate drawer with a different drawer front or was it the other portion of the cabinet door?

How did you arrange the door of the cabinet so it was normal looking? Do you have a photo you could upload of that? Then I would know what you mean. Nothing like a good photo to give me an AHA! moment.

We are making our own drawers which means we can put the drawers wherever we want. We are not limited to the sizes of drawer faces that IKEA provides.
    The pics that Steph posted are great. Ikea comes with the large door that covers all three 'drawers'. All IKEA drawers are identical (in two sizes). The ones that are meant as pull-outs behind a door come with little drawer fronts.

pull out drawer front

If you look closely at this page, you can see the two smaller drawers come with the fronts - the taller one (with rails on the sides) would attach to the pull out door front.

5 piece 12 inch pull out

I don't have my camera at the moment - my DH took it to work, but I'll try to post some pics of the garbage cabinet configuration later.

Please let me know if I've missed any questions. :)

~ Missy

• prairie-girl
    13 years ago

OK, here's a pic of the garbage cabinet. (Remember the 'fronts' are only temporary - the final ones will cover the whole front of the cabs.)

The cabinet to the left of it is the same 12" pull-out. It just has 3 drawers.

There is another one next the stove that has 4 drawers. That's where we put the other drawer that came with the 'garbage' cabinet. I am still not sure on the spacing of these drawers - because we are making the drawer faces we can put them wherever we want.

• desertsteph
    13 years ago

prairiegirl - I know little about IKEA! what I do know I like. your explanations are great - really helped me also. Your pics of the guts of the pullout / drawers is a great visual aid!

I wish I thought I could put together IKEA stuff... and get it in a color I like.

• User
    Original Author
    13 years ago

PRAIRIE GIRL, been meaning to tell you about the link which the Ikea site says will let me request a catalog.

Thank you for your concern, but that link only goes to a place where they want you to register your cell phone for text messaging. No way do I want that. So it seems that you must call them because you cannot ask for a printed cat online, via a link anyway.

I've been looking also at their laundry storage setups. They have the wire frames and fabric or wire baskets in the ANTONIUS line, which I'm thinking will be economical for installing in our new walkin closet....when that is built anyway. I might even go ahead and buy them so I can get all the awful totes off the floor of the future master suite in order to give the contractor room to work...and keep dust out of things too.

Take a look at the ANTONIUS products at IKEA, if you want to redo a spot that is not out in the open. Casters are also available if you want to roll your craft or sewing supplies around too. They seem very adaptable.

• prairie-girl
    13 years ago

ML, the link I posted takes you to a page where you can order a catalogue. I am including a screen shot below. You don't have to sign up for text messages (which cost money) or any email offers etc. Just don't tick those boxes. If you order anything from them you will have to give them your mailing address in any case - they for sure need it to mail you a catalogue. The spaces for the phone number are not bolded, so it's not a requirement that you fill them in.

Steph, you're very welcome! I'm glad my help has been useful for you! I am sure that you could assemble the cabinets yourself. They are pretty easy. The directions are a bit awkward at first - they're all picture illustrations, but once you do one, they are a breeze. :)
    As far as the colour goes, I guess you'd have to paint them yourself if they don't come in one you like. I think if they had offered a door that was aqua or green coloured, I might have been very tempted to get them. hah

~ Missy

Screenshot of the Ikea page to order a catalogue

• User
    Original Author
    13 years ago

It is most strange that none of that shows up when I clicked the link. All I got was the option to get text messages.
    I now have the IKEA 2O1O CATALOG downloaded to my computer.
    However, they do not send out the KITCHEN catalog. The one I have borrowed came from a lady who picked it up when she was in the Atlanta store.

I have an account with IKEA now, and I got the regular catalog. thanks for your help Missy. I am scratching my head over the strange results for that link when I click it.

Also, I have found the folding ironing board in the 18" Akurum cabinet in the printed 2009 Kitchen catalog, but do not find it online even with the product number. I hope it is not discontinued.

ciao for the evening.

Sponsored
EK Interior Design
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars5 Reviews
TIMELESS INTERIOR DESIGN FOR ENDLESS MEMORIES