Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hzdeleted_63513

movies where houses rule!!

User
13 years ago

Just happened to think about this while reading the VACATIONS thread. Remember the movie where Kate Winslet and Cameron Diaz swap houses, one from rural England, the other from very chic coastal California?

Who remembers the name of the movie? And what blog was it, a lady in Texas with a Texas Riviera blog, who really thoroughly critiqued both houses?

Also what other movies did you watch in order to SEE THE HOUSE? I have a few just to kick the discussion off:

UNDER THE TUSCAN SUN.....oh inspirational

A YEAR IN PROVENCE....as good as being there...almost!

OUT OF AFRICA....the furniture and interior was so laid back

THE MONEY PIT....all that could possibly go wrong in old homes, including your relationship

CANNERY ROW...Debra Winger lived in a STEAM BOILER...

CROSS CREEK...an old Florida cracker house in an orange grove, based on true experiences of Marjorie Rawlings who wrote THE YEARLING, also based on a true story. Mary Steenburgen, Peter Coyote, and Rip Torn, awesome movie.

ENCHANTED APRIL...another vacation type movie, where women go to a villa to get away from their lives for a while.

MESSAGE IN A BOTTLE...disappointing because I never saw much of the house..pout pout....which is why I watched the movie!

STEEL MAGNOLIAS....Just the mystique of an old southern town with great streets and lovely front porches.

So, folks, add to the list. You might clue all of us in on some movies to watch this summer, when it is too hot to sweat in the flower beds outside.

Comments (37)

• mama goose_gw zn6OH
    13 years ago

This one's rec'd a lot of coverage, but I'll look at it anytime. It's a blog that takes a while to load, but so many beautiful pics!

Here is a link that might be useful: Something's Gotta Give

• judithva
    13 years ago

I loved the kitchen area from the movie Bewitched, the link below will take you to some photos at the Hooked on Houses Blog.

Here is a link that might be useful: Bewitched-movie kitchen

• mama goose_gw zn6OH
    13 years ago

Oops, forgot to say: I don't think we ever saw the kitchen in THE SOUND OF MUSIC, but don't you think it would have been magnificent? Terribly organized and efficient, just like the Captain's disciplinary style, of course, but grand and opulent like the rest of the estate.

Great thread, ML. I'm looking forward to seeing everyone's favorites.

• User
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Judithva, THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU!!!!
    I did not know that blog existed, and I'm one who needs a house fix regularly! I've already subscribed to the "house fix" RSS on my reader.

Not just BEWITCHED, but all those HOUSES, real houses. So many houses, so little time. :)

Hey, I'm glad this thread was the right "bait" to catch a response from you on the forum. We welcome all comers, you know. Littler houses have room for big/bigger/biggest ideas.
    With less time spent cleaning a big house, we have more chance to watch some TV or rent some movies too.

• prairie-girl
    13 years ago

I think the one you're thinking of with Cameron Diaz was 'The Holiday'. I found a link to a blog that showcases the homes. I LOVE the wee cottage!!

Here is a link that might be useful: The Holiday - Cotedetexas Blog

• User
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Prairie, YES, that is the blog I was meaning. Cote de Texas is the one which also featured SOMETHING'S GOTTA GIVE.
    She is very good with the critiquing of the houses.
    Mama Goose gave us the link to that other movie with Jack Nicholson and ......Diane Keaton. Goodness, my memory is on vacation too.

• idie2live
    13 years ago

Being the unobservant soul that I am, I watched Somethings gotta give several times and although I thought the house was really nice, I never knew the kitchen was the object of intense internet discussions. I looked it over and it is really nice, but the whole house if gorgeous!

• wantoretire_did
    13 years ago

ENCHANTED APRIL...another vacation type movie, "where women go to a villa to get away from their lives for a while

Oh please - I really need a girl vacation.......................

• themayocynic
    13 years ago

hahaha okay, let me be the Negative Nelly. What about Amityville Horror? :P

On a happier note, I've always wished I could see more of the apartment in Amelie. The bits you see in the movie are sooooo cute.

• mama goose_gw zn6OH
    13 years ago

Just remembered the kitchen scene from THE BIG CHILL. I'd love to have a kitchen big enough for eight people to dance in (while putting a turkey in the oven).

• User
    Original Author
    13 years ago

OMG!!!!
    Mayo, you take the prize. Of course, that was so evil. And then there was the Bates' house in PSYCHO, predating Amityville. But who as really looking at the interiors. I spend most horror movies UNDER THE SEAT WITH EYES CLOSED, HANDS OVER EARS.

Wanttoretire-did, we all need the kind of trip to that villa in ENCHANTED APRIL. And I also liked the hotel in
    A MONTH BY THE LAKE, I think in northern Italy a couple of years maybe before WWII. Vanessa Redgrave & Jamie Fox starred in that one, with Uma Thurman. Peaceful story, gorgeous surroundings.

• Shades_of_idaho
    13 years ago

GADS I better crawl out from under my rock. I do not have a clue about these movies. I saw part of Out of Africa years ago and I know of the Bewitched TV show. My hubby gets annoyed with me as I can barely watch 15 minutes of a movie before I stroll out of the room.

Going to go explore the links. Join the real world. I think I have been living in the sticks too long. LOL

Chris

• themayocynic
    13 years ago

I'm a big horror movie fan so I could probably name a few more, but I didn't want to kill the fun vibe here. And of course, I meant the original Amityville, not the most recent rendition.

• Shades_of_idaho
    13 years ago

WOW those cottages are to die for. I think I saw the one with the large fireplace before. Thanks for the great blog.

• flgargoyle
    13 years ago

Not a movie, but who could forget Alice Kramden's 'modern' kitchen?

• Shades_of_idaho
    13 years ago

OH hohoho I remember that The Honeymooners. Heheheheh I can still hear their voices.Gonna send you right to the Moon. Heheheh

• emagineer
    13 years ago

I just watched the Holiday "again". Am totally in love with the cottage. And have wondered how something like this could actually be built. The kitchen....what fun to recreate this darling space.

Below is another site with photos of the cottage.

Here is a link that might be useful: Holiday

• prairie-girl
    13 years ago

Great thread - Now I can see that I have to go out and rent a bunch of movies. lol

• User
    Original Author
    13 years ago

This is a button to the HOOKED ON HOUSES blog. They show the homes of stars and special places as well.

• schoolhouse_gw
    13 years ago

"My House in Umbria". For a long time, I wanted a porch swing with an awning that had a sunflower print all over it like the one sitting on her veranda.

• enigmaquandry
    13 years ago

THE QUIET MAN's White O'Morn :) Oh my goodness!

Moccasin, I watch horror movies the same way :)

• User
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Schoolhouse and Enigma...
    OF COURSE!!
    I saw MY HOUSE IN UMBRIA and had to buy the movie to watch at leisure. It reminds me of ENCHANTED APRIL, the way it uses the house for refuge and renewal.

And I fell in love with the Irish cottage in THE QUIET MAN.
    It was such a thrill to see thousands of such stone cottages when we went to western Ireland a couple of years ago. The cottage where my DH's mother was born is over two hundred years old and still going strong, but they locked it up when they built the "new house" back in 1950. It sits there with a big slab slate roof on it, moss growing on the slate, and the stone walls and stone outbuildings...I really would like to know what it was like living in that culture as a young girl. She came to America alone around 1910 I think. She was about 16 or 17, records were not too good. So the movie still gives me some idea of what it was like to be Irish 100 years ago.

• Shades_of_idaho
    13 years ago

OH WOW ML I thought this was just a picture and then I see the transformer on the power pole. I would swoon for this cottage.

• User
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Shades, I almost did swoon when I saw it. Took LOTS of pictures. I would love to own this and make it a retirement home for us, and then leave it to Bill's kids for their retirement.

You can see the Cliffs of Moher from the back yard. On a clear day, anyway! I think every place in Ireland is fairly close to the sea.

• User
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Another one featured in the Hooked on Houses blog of late, is the Amityville Horror house. I know some of you like that genre of movie, so make note of it here. Lovely old colonial house.

Here is a link that might be useful: Amityville Horror house

• emagineer
    13 years ago

Moccasin,
    You should read some of the historical writings about Ireland during the time your mother came here. I too loved Ireland and the history. Much of it very sad.

But your "cottage" must have been very valuable and owners of fairly high income. I couldn't understand at first why so many of the wonderful buildings were destroyed, left to fall apart. Until reading that taxes were so high on any building that had a "roof". Owners burned their roofs so they didn't have to pay the taxes which many couldn't afford. Losing a roof meant also losing the structure of the building.

Nice to meet someone who is connected to IReland. My mother died before I traveled there and I swear every other lady looked like her. The Irish sure were good to us and loved Americans.

• User
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Emagineer, it was my DH's mother who was born in this old stone cottage. My family came years before, settled in the Carolinas, intermarried with the Indians, and came into north Alabama. There was no memory of the immigrant experience for anyone alive when I was a child. But for my DH, he is a "first generation" Irish, and the troubles which led his parents to migrate were very real in his upbringing. I know the cottage and the farm on which it sits looks substantial, but it was a struggle surviving under British rule. One of DH's uncles came to America to escape the law because he was involved in the Easter Uprising. Some of the relatives were deported to New Zealand to the criminal colony there, the ones also involved in the Irish movement for independence and justice. He did not know about them, but when he was getting government security clearances, the government already knew and asked him about any connection to them. It makes me wonder what records our FBI and CIA keep about us ordinary citizens. But you are so right. When we were in Ireland, it was a very friendly reception and so lovely. I had a blast driving on those narrow roads on the wrong side of the car and of the road too.

• TxMarti
    13 years ago

I used to watch The West Wing just to see the colors and decorating, but that's probably not what you mean.

I liked Father of the Bride for the house too.

• mama goose_gw zn6OH
    13 years ago

LOL, I've already commented to ML that all of Diane Keaton's movie characters have the most amazing kitchens!

• cearbhaill (zone 6b Eastern Kentucky)
    13 years ago

No one has mentioned Doc Browns back To The Future house??

{{!gwi}}

Here is a link that might be useful: Gamble House

13 years ago

A real obscure one- the old James Coburn\Susannah York movie, "Sky Riders" (1976)

{{!gwi}}

OK, I realize that neither of my offerings are small but they are so spectacular that I share them whenever possible!

Here is a link that might be useful: more movie houses

• User
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Cerabhaill, it says at your photo site that the media does not exist. But I was not to be defeated! I saw your big comfy reading chair in your study. Now that is a space after me own heart. Let's see if I could copy/paste it here....never done this before with anyone else's photos.
    {{!gwi}}

Looks like it works as long as you can get the html code. I hope you do not mind that I do this for experimental purposes?

13 years ago

No I don't mind at all- I love my room.

But what link isn't working for you?

• wantoretire_did
    13 years ago

I'm getting so frustrated. Trying to find a post about decorating mistakes which shows dogs and cats making themselves comfortable in the furniture. cearbhaill's chair pic above, is in that post. I've looked everywhere and even did a search for her and turned up nothing. I've searched on this forum, Decorating, and Organizing. Can anyone guide me to that post?

13 years ago

Here you go...

Here is a link that might be useful: Linky

• wantoretire_did
    13 years ago

Oh thank you!!! We lost our Cody NE Eve and are hoping to adopt a shelter dog. I just love these pics and want to show them to DH.

Sponsored
J.E.S. Home Improvement
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars3 Reviews
Loudoun County's Full-Scale Construction Firm