Return to the Smaller Homes Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Attic Space

Posted by skagit_goat_man_ (My Page) on
Mon, May 21, 07 at 7:37

Our roof trusses had to be ordered a couple of weeks ago and we had to make up our minds whether or not to order attic trusses. In a 1176sf house the storage would be nice. So we bit the bullet and did it. Now we'll have a 10x38 finished room,(8' of 10 is full headroom), heated & insulated. We gave up a linen closet to house the steep staircase which seems like a fairly good trade. It raised the cost of the house by $6000 but at $16/sf it's a bargain. From what I've read on this forum it's not the living space of a small home that can make things difficult, it's not having enough storage space. Good Luck to all with your projects. Tom

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Attic Space

That sounds like a good idea to me. Will the space be heated and cooled, at least to some degree? If there are no extreme temperature changes, that would be best for whatever is stored there.

cocooner

o

It's fully insulated and heated. No air conditioning in this part of the country. Saw it framed in last Friday and it's a lot more space than I imagined. Tom

o

Good on you. I asked my builder about doing this and he stiff armed the suggestion. You know builders. Wish I had insisted.

o

I'm kind of late to the party, but will second the attic rafters as being the way to go. We used them on our last garage remodel and on our new garage. The storage space is a great bang for your buck. Just be sure to include some windows for light and ventilation if you can, and wiring for adequate lighting, so you can see what you are looking for.

Our previous garage attic had access from an outside stair, and though we framed the new one for an exterior door, right now the access is from a pull down stair, which I don't care for as much. It's tougher to get the bigger containers and items up and down.

Jill

o

Skagit, you will love the storage. We lived in a hugh, formal, 1886 Victorian mansion for a few years, and the attic was 8 to 12 ft high. It was great for storage.

o

I got attic trusses for the area over the garage and over the master suite. Total attic space gained over each area is 220 sq ft (440 sq ft total). I will access the area over the garage via pul-down stairway, but the area over the master will be finished off as usable space with a stair case going up there. The stairway won't meet code (too steep), but we plan to finish that part of the house after the final inspection of the rest of the house. The cost of the attic trusses was only slightly more than regular trusses.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Smaller Homes Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here