Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lavender_lass

McMansion to McCottage: Why Smaller Houses are Smarter

lavender_lass
11 years ago

I love the title to this article, so I wanted to post it for everyone to see. If it's already been posted and I missed it...it's still worth seeing again :)

If this person isn't already a member of the Smaller Homes forum, we should definitely invite him!

Here is a link that might be useful: Link to article

Comments (10)

• TxMarti
    11 years ago

I love that! It is so true about strolling through a prewar neighborhood vs a McMansion neighborhood.

• desertsteph
    11 years ago

good article!

'If our families are getting smaller and our objects are getting more compact and portable, why do we need all this space?'

because people found out they could live (even temporarily) above their income. It's also led to families that aren't as close. Kids growing up isolated into their own space. Who had their own space growing up? I sure didn't - I shared a room with 2 or 3 of my 4 sisters. They weren't large rooms either.

oh, and we 'need' more space for all of those 'things' the ads say we need. More 'things' that isolate us. kids have a tv in their own bedroom... my kids never did, we had 1 tv. well, at least until '82 when we bought a 2nd small one to use as a computer monitor. that was set up in the kitchen. When I was growing up we sometimes had 1 working tv. a good amount of the time it didn't work - needed a new tube or 2 and mom didn't have the money to buy it/them. We 'only' had 3 channels when it did work! We spent most of our time (is not in the winter) outside.

life for the family has changed and I don't think it's been for the better.

• User
    11 years ago

Very good article, thanks for bringing it to our attention. The more press it gets, the better it will be for the value of our properties.

• Shades_of_idaho
    11 years ago

Enjoyed this and while reading it to DH I asked him if he feels like we are living in a small house and there was a resounding NO. We are some what larger than some of these mentioned but at about 1375 SQ FT we are not really considered large. I really am content with this size.

• EATREALFOOD
    11 years ago

GREAT article thanks Lavender. I think it's time to repost to miss minimalist's website too. The blogger moved back into a house after her travels but is still keeping the clutter at bay.
    After my kitchen is installed I am doing a sorting out of everything, starting with clothing...especially mismatched socks LOL. I don't have a lot but in a small space everything counts.

Here is a link that might be useful: miss minimalist

• jessicaml
    11 years ago

I agree with that article completely! That mindset is why I was so excited when I found the house plans in the good fit homes, pocket neighborhood link I posted a few days ago.

I read an article this week (and promptly lost it), on what the appeal is of smaller houses and "cottages", and the author mentioned how children like cozy places and small nooks and crannies because they feel private and safe, and adults like cottages because they remind us of our childhood hideaways.

I think this is why I can admire the cavernous kitchen remodels on the kitchen forum, but wouldn't want to live with many of them. Kitchens used to be set apart from the rest of the house, because they were work rooms. Then all this talk of how people gather in the kitchen anyway started the trend for larger kitchens (well, that and cooking as an upscale hobby), but the kitchens are so large and showy now, that I wonder if they'll still be the place people want to gather. Maybe they'll find another spot.

Anyway, that was a rabbit trail, but I do hope the trend towards smaller homes continues. Less waste, and hopefully more family together-time.

• kitykat
    11 years ago

Super article! Before a budget remodeling of my 10x11 kitchen six years ago, I had bought umpteen 'kitchen' magazines for several years. Each had numerous articles and photos flagged, as I studied and planned.

Jessica, regarding those huge kitchens, I tried to imagine working in them. It wore me out just contemplating the number of steps between fridge and sink, pantry and main work counter!

At 1200 sf, this cottage really lives large, and most of the time it's just the two of us. Holidays can be a challenge, but homes are, or should be, for the comfort of those that LIVE there... not occasional visitors.

• kellyp123
    11 years ago

While I am late chiming in on this, I LOVED this article! I love my smaller home because it is so easy to interact with and keep tabs on my small children. I feel comfortable knowing we are living within our means.

• changa
    11 years ago

My husband and I love our 1,250 sq. ft. "starter home" that we share with our cat and huge dog. My parents and friends are forever asking us when we will move to a bigger house, but we have plenty of space here and the location is great. The small size keeps us from holding on to too much junk that we don't need and to be creative in how we use the space.

• changa
    11 years ago

My husband and I love our 1,250 sq. ft. "starter home" that we share with our cat and huge dog. My parents and friends are forever asking us when we will move to a bigger house, but we have plenty of space here and the location is great. The small size keeps us from holding on to too much junk that we don't need and to be creative in how we use the space.

Sponsored
MAC Design + Build
Average rating: 4.3 out of 5 stars18 Reviews
Loudon County Full-Service Design/Build Firm & Kitchen Remodeler