Return to the Smaller Homes Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
suggestions needed

Posted by maryjanej (My Page) on
Wed, Apr 4, 07 at 21:51

Hi
Could you please give me some suggestions as to make the front of the house and bed look better. This is in an area with lots of shade ferns do very well in this area there's only a bit of sun in the late afternoon as you can see it's on the north side.
Any recommendations about shrubs or plants that would look good and how would you place them.
I want to widen the bed size up to the side of the addition and the lenght of the house.
Any suggestions would be appreciated
I'm in zone 5 Canadian Zone 4 US
I've included a picture

Thanks
Mary-Jane
Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: suggestions needed

Mary, when I moved into my home the front was all grass too. It was the first thing removed, at least half to create garden beds around the perimeter. Then added 3 trees and filled the beds with perenials. This spring I am putting in a fence and arbor. Garden beds are far more enjoyable for me than mowing grass, not to mention the cost of water in my area.

Getting the grass out wasn't easy, but found a student doing yardwork for the summer that took on the job.

You didn't mention if the cost of building a small porch is not possible. But a porch across the front would be wonderful, even a small deck/pergola.

If cost is a factor, I'd start with a couple of trees, even if small, they would help soften the front, give some height. Perhaps shutters the full length of your door on both sides of door opening. A trellis for climbing rose would add height also or an arbor across the doorway.

o

That blank wall is screaming out for something! I would expect to see a window, maybe with shutters, or something instead of an empty wall. You could put some decorative iron piece there if you prefer, but it needs something desperately. Something to set off your entry would also be nice, maybe a small arbor or a couple of narrow trellises with climbing vines in pots underneath on either side. The light fixture could use some beefing up, too.

o

Hi,
Thanks for all the suggestions I agree that wall sure is bare looking. I like the suggestion of climbing roses will look for some that tolerate some shade. An arbor at the door also sounds good with some shade tolerant clematis.And maybe some shrubs, hostas and shade loving perrenial and annuals.
Thanks
Mary-Jane

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Smaller Homes Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here