Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
phoggie_gw

So what to put on my front porch?

phoggie
10 years ago

I have been trying to decide what kind and color furniture to buy for my front porch. You have seen the pics of my house...what do you think? I was thinking of white furniture with black urns with colorful flowers. But what style furniture?..bistro, rockers, wicker...or other suggestions? I am so ready to decorate the outside...but with all the snow/rain, we have not been able to haul in more dirt and pour cement. I love living here....wish you could come have a cup of coffee with me...you all have been so supportive through my build. Thanks for your kindness

Comments (13)

• ogrose_tx
    10 years ago

Wicker would be wonderful, or chairs with pads that are weather resistant, something really comfortable!

Love your new house, can hardly wait until you start landscaping. Have fun!

• User
    10 years ago

Of course our sun porch is enclosed in Lexan on 3 walls, with a porcelain tile floor and a beadboard ceiling. So I can put a love seat out there, a pair of nesting tables with glass top, and a swivel upholstered chair to look out any exposure.

Originally, I had a bistro table and 2 chairs there, loved it. But our needs changed after we enclosed it and had outdoor spaces for the bistro set. Here is a shot I took the other day. Always think live plants are super important in any space blending with the outdoors.

The loveseat is sort of a British West Indies style with loose cushion seat and big loose pillows.

• TxMarti
    10 years ago

How often do you think you'll sit on the front porch? If it's just for show, not for sitting, I'd put a colorful bench there, and put the nice, comfortable furniture on the back porch - if that's where you'll be spending time.

If you will be sitting on the front porch, I think white wicker would look good too, and they are usually comfy.

• User
    10 years ago

Phoggie, can you add the picture of the porch exterior to the thread? It will then tie the discussion to a specific part of your house, should the threads become separated.

• EATREALFOOD
    10 years ago

I love adirondack chairs and slides.

• phoggie
    Original Author
    10 years ago

My DD found two high-backed white rockers..will add two or three tall urns with ferns and colored flowers. I put up a spring wreath today so people actually know someone lives here. They hauled another 5 truckloads of good black compost dirt in my yard today...will level out tomorrow...then wait for some rain to help it settle....then I hope to get a sidewalk so everyone does not have to come through my garage.....but the old saying.. back door friends are the best friends.

• Nancy in Mich
    10 years ago

Those were great choices, Phoggie, and you are getting right on the front lawn, too! No waiting around for you, good thing! You will get your grass in while the spring is still cool and will have a lush lawn your first year. Are you going to seed or sod?

I have loved the porch rocker look ever since I spent 4 years in Baton Rouge. Tall ferns will give you a sense of having a defined space and do well under the roof, and flowers will brighten things up and draw the eye. All very welcoming!

• lavender_lass
    10 years ago

Phoggie- It all sounds wonderful! Just remember to keep everything easy for you to take care of, which includes watering plants. My mom tried hanging baskets for a while, but they dried out quickly in our summers and were heavy to hang back up, after watering.

Can you post a picture of your front porch and yard? My favorite garden style is a mixture of flowers in a cottage garden style. Maybe a few old fashioned shrub roses that are easy to take care of and beautiful when they bloom in the early summer...and have a lovely fragrance! :)

• phoggie
    Original Author
    10 years ago

LL. You can find a pic of the front porch on this site under "Phoggie's house ..finally"....remember I am tech challenged. I will have to keep things low in front....no steps to the house so dirt is right up next to the porch floor. I am just putting plants in urns...no hanging...I know they are hard for me to water. I do not have a green thumb and we are hot in the summer, so need to keep it simple. Roses are too much trouble with all the care they seem to need. I had some at my last house and we did not get along too well.

• Iowacommute
    10 years ago

Phoggie~If you want to try your hand at roses then you can try Knockout Roses. They are much easier to take care of, and Walmart even have some right now.

Hopefully you won't get too much rain to wash away all of your new dirt. I just planted a blueberry bush, veggies, and some annuals to spruce up the porches. It looks like we'll just get two or three days of icky, rainy weather and then we'll be back to warmer days.

• desertsteph
    10 years ago

here's your front porch if still needed on this thread

• desertsteph
    10 years ago

here's your front porch if still needed on this thread

• phoggie
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I have not taken any pictures, so you can use your imagination. I bought two white high backed rocking chairs and three black tall urns...which I will put ferns in. My DD bought me red padded seats for the chairs. Nothing more has been done to the yard or sidewalk... I am waiting on a bid to get the lawn hydro-planted.....I think that is what he called it...seed, fertilizer, and mulch blown on. And the cement man wants the new soil to settle before pouring the sidewalk and driveway.

Sponsored
Fineline Deck Builders
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars11 Reviews
Women Owned Construction Company Specializing in High Quality Decks