Return to the Smaller Homes Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
on stair storage

Posted by dreamsofa (My Page) on
Thu, Apr 19, 12 at 21:06

Hi all,

We have a short, fairly wide staircase leading from our back door into the house. I'd like to either buy or build a storage unit that follows the stairs up pushed against the wall), almost like an upside down tansu, with cubbies instead of drawers, if that makes any sense whatsoever! The piece I'm imagining would reach quite high up the wall and we'd use the top side of the piece asa shelf (think sideways L).

If I haven't lost you completely, has anyone seen such a thing that we could purchase, or for inspiration?

Appreciate the help.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: on stair storage

Not sure how to do this or if this is even close to what you are looking for. Love the look.

Here is a ink to the blog and scroll to Feb 16th to see the write up about it.

https://www.facebook.com/Whenthedinnerbellrings

Here is a link that might be useful: Stair Risers

o

I think that is like a Japanese tonsu chest. I've long admired that use of storage space, and even suggested it to someone here for their kitchen drawers or for storing fabric in their sewing space. You could either have a deep deep drawer going all the way beneath the steps. Or you could have mirror images, drawers on both sides.

It really reminds me of boat carpentry.

o

that's some awesome stair storage!

o

Something like this, perhaps?

Positioned on one side of the staircase, maybe with the top at a level even with the upper landing, forming a continuous shelf......

Photobucket

o

Wow, great stairs Shades!

o

What creative stair storage ideas! That's what I love about smaller homes... being encouraged to find creative storage space! Moccasinlanding, your boating experience must afford you great perspective on maximizing small spaces!

o

PayItForward, I think it must, because every inch was important and usually planned. If you want to see some lovely carpentry/boatwright work, look up some old sailing yachts. Everything had latches too. Didn't want stuff dumping its contents while you were busy saving your ......hide.
:)

I'm putting in one link to a tansu chest stair storage and how to do it. Google the subject and find multiple hits, and I bet one would suit your purposes.

Here is a link that might be useful: Tansu chest stair project

o

ML that link goes to the same stair I linked to. How fun you found the builder of that. This Dan is amazing. Love his work. I do not have a need for a stair in this house but might have to have a Tansu just because I love them so much.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Smaller Homes Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here