desertsteph
10 years ago

what do you use? rope? wire?

I want Jed to put one up for me. soon.

anyone else - chime in!

Comments (6)

• Shades_of_idaho
    10 years ago

Steph i used the plastic coated wire and I put it up with turn buckles that will keep the lines tight. It works really well for me.

i need to trim off the longer ends. By the time. i got that far my hands were cold and aching. Now i forget to carry the cutters out with me.

The coated wire is not expensive. Under $5.00 for 50 foot. It is not hard to replace. It lasts several years.

• User
    10 years ago

Good job there, Shades. I like turnbuckles such as the ones on sailboats. They are classy looking. I bought some for tensioning our fence gate, and when our neighbor installed the gate, he really messed them up. Now I plan to change the big gate after the contractors finish their work.

NOTE: Are you guys seeing the picture to the right of the Message block? It says ORCHIDS 101....Easy-to-grow orchids for beginners. That's my style! Beginner!

• desertsteph
    Original Author
    10 years ago

thx shades! the coated wire - that's what I remember using as a kid. we did the laundry and each spring would have to wipe it down before using. or after a storm.

didn't know about the buckles - will show Jed the pic - thx for that. I did wonder about keeping it tight.

we used a long stick thing to push and hold the line up after clothes were on it.

• Shades_of_idaho
    10 years ago

ML YES I am seeing the beginner orchids. yours are prettier. you do not look much like a beginner,

Steph my lines are only 10 foot long. so I have three lines. In the center of the kennel panel is a support so I put an eye bolt through it to run the line through. Also helps sagging. If you look close you can just see it sticking down at the center post.

• desertsteph
    Original Author
    9 years ago

got a turn buckle today along with a large eye screw and clothesline. it was 7.00 for 100'. it won't last long in our heat so i'll stash the extra for a future replacement.

I think jed has worked out where and how to put it up. hopefully he'll get by here this wkend to do it.

• Shades_of_idaho
    9 years ago

Good luck. I have been using mine weekly and only had to tighten one line. Seems odd. Must have been the winds we had got a vibration going to spin the turnbuckle to loose. No harm done.