Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hzdeleted_63513

Album Locations for Our Smaller Homes

User
14 years ago

Ok, hmmm, let me see if I can express this.....MamaGoose has the right idea with LET ME SHOW YOU AROUND....

And if you have a website where you already have uploaded a bunch of photos of your house, you might just drop the link to it in THIS THREAD....

So many of my photos albums are of my original home at MoccasinLanding, then the River House, and then the home that was destroyed by Hurricane Katrina. At different stages of the game, I've created much different spaces. So I am going to just drop the nickel and put the whole works here. Plants, houses, paint jobs, parrots, dogs, and simple execution of ideas, most of which I uploaded over the years in my Webshots albums.

Anyone else who has the same sort of "history" trail, put the link to your albums here if you care to. All my albums are public ones, I just do not upload photos of my grandkids or grandnieces. Hope you enjoy my descriptions.

Here is a link that might be useful: MoccasinLanding Webshots Albums

Comments (41)

• Shades_of_idaho
    14 years ago

OK I will bite. Mine have been posted around. Great idea to get them all together. This is our house as it evolves since we have moved in.

Our Yard as it evolves from nothing to now.
    http://shadesofidaho.multiply.com/photos/album/20/Yard_2009

And for those that want to see. There is a darling Small house bordering our property for sale. It is "Dated" Lots of possibilities.
    Yankee House
    http://shadesofidaho.multiply.com/photos/album/25/Yankey_House

Our last house.
    http://shadesofidaho.multiply.com/photos/album/4/12-1-06_Cambridge_House

My style is evolving pretty fast. Things are thinning out. Downsizing the clutter. Sort of fun to see it in pictures.

Thanks for starting this thread ML

Chris

Here is a link that might be useful: Pyle Meadows

• idie2live
    13 years ago

ML, I haven't been ignoring your post. I just need to organize my albums and take out the personal photos.

• mama goose_gw zn6OH
    13 years ago

Thanks for the 'shout-out'. I'll get in line and add mine, too! BTW, I just read your 'Name that House' thread. I commented on enigmaquandry's new thread, that I haven't named mine, but I think of it as 'Mulberry Pond', for the mulberry tree that grows beside our barn, and overlooks the lower pond. We used to keep an old tractor seat wedged in the branches, and my kids would sit in and read.

House and yard:
    http://cid-1b08058247921ccc.skydrive.live.com/browse.aspx/house%20and%20yard

New Addition:
    http://cid-1b08058247921ccc.skydrive.live.com/browse.aspx/new%20addition%20play%20room

Flowers:
    http://cid-1b08058247921ccc.skydrive.live.com/browse.aspx/flowers

Here is a link that might be useful: My pics on HGTV/Rate My Space

• mama goose_gw zn6OH
    13 years ago

moccasinlanding, I just looked through your Casa Del Sol, home improvement album. Your storage ideas are inspirational--I love storage! Also love the beadboard ceiling in the sunroom, and that stained glass window. It's beautiful!

• mama goose_gw zn6OH
    13 years ago

OK, I'm back, and I'm going to try clickable links:

House and yard

New addition

Flowers

I hope this will be easier, and I apologize for draggin' my feet!

Here is a link that might be useful: My pics on HGTV/Rate My Space

• themayocynic
    13 years ago

mama_goose, I love that you have swings!

• Shades_of_idaho
    13 years ago

Hummm Well I am a little rusty on HTML So hope this works.

This is a house we had from 1998 to 2002 Was a three and one and about 1100 SQ FT. Cambridge House

• User
    Original Author
    13 years ago

LOVE the albums, you guys!
    And I realize also that plants are a part of our lives too.
    We have a lot in common, don't you think?
    Shades, was your Cambridge up in MA?

You know, this spring we seem to have a lot of new members reading and posting on Smaller Homes, and it is very refreshing. I'm reminded of a music album by Chris Rea, NEW LIGHT THROUGH OLD WINDOWS. It is a pleasure to come here and see what new light is shed on our shared concerns.

Hope you ladies and gents have a lovely day.

• Shades_of_idaho
    13 years ago

OH Should have said the Cambridge is in Idaho. Tiny little town of 360 people or so. About 10 miles up the road from where we are now.

I do not have nearly as many plants as I used to. I gifted several of the larger plants I had to the lady that bought our last h0use. This h0use does not have the same kind of room for plants the last h0use had. Still love them. Some I have had for 30 years or more.

Chris

• mama goose_gw zn6OH
    13 years ago

themayocynic, thank you! I think I'm going through my second childhood. I tell everyone the swings are for the grandkids, but I love them, too!

moccasinlanding, yes, we do have so much in common. Every time I look at pictures on this site, I'm struck by the similarities. Which leads me to...

Chris!! I just toured Pyle Meadows--I have the single door version of the cabinet in your studio. It was my grandmothers. Also have a hoosier cabinet (unpainted) and some channel back chairs (also unpainted, LOL). Your MOSAICS are AMAZING!!! We've done some tiling in the last couple of years--love my tile saw--and I'm going to try a mosaic backsplash for our new sink.

I'm so HAPPY, HAPPY, HAPPY I found this site!

• Shades_of_idaho
    13 years ago

Thanks so much Mama-Goose. I had a lot of fun doing the tile and back splash in the guest bath and counter so far in the master bath. I bought a tile saw but have not used it yet. I nibbled those tiles to fit. LOL Was too cold to use the saw outside when I was doing the counter. BUT I hope to get to use it to cut up some plates nicely. Sort of moved away from the mosaics with china in them and gone to glass. But the plates could be cut and sold on Ebay.

The cabinet in my studio now hum Will have to go look as I just made a switch in March. OH ok. That china cabinet is now in my sewing room with my vintage sewing box and things collection in it and fabrics on the bottom shelf to enjoy the view of. The other tall cabinet which was in my guest/sewing room is now in the studio. YIKES it was a huge job making that switch. Works so much better now.

My husband said all my furniture should have wheels on it.

the hoosier was stripped whe I bought it but the cream and green showed in the stripped wood and this cabinet was made to be painted. I was into blue and white so painted it blue and white. THEN I switched into the green and cream several years ago and slowly my blue and white is going away. Have a big bunch to donate to Lions for their yard sale next week.

Love that Hoosier and really would like to have it in the kitchen but it works so well to cut glass on. Sigh. And what I have in the kitchen now also works well in the space. Sooooooooooo Maybe some day. I almost sold the hoosier once and so glad it did not sell. Had it in a store for over a year. Was supposed to be mine. I would be kicking myself over that one.

It really is interesting to see so many of us share the same interest in furniture. Maybe because so many of the older houses were smaller and the furniture was made to be useful in those smaller houses.

Check out Jay's posts. flgargoil (SP?) there are some wonderful pieces in his cottage.

Chris

• yonderosa
    13 years ago

Here's a link to ours.

Here is a link that might be useful: Yonderosa

• Shades_of_idaho
    13 years ago

OH Yonderosa, so glad you posted and I enjoyed reading about your Grandmother. Hoping she is continuing to improve.

When I see your top picture I thought it looks like here or where Missy lives the other side of the mountain from us. Maybe other end too. LOL

We have been in Idaho for 24 years and really love it.There are some beautiful places this direction.

Lovely pictures.

Chris

• Shades_of_idaho
    13 years ago

Had a great visit with your albums before dinner. You sure have done a lot to Casa Del Sol. Love all you have done. Had seen a few of the pictures already but it was really nice to enjoy it as it was coming together. Evolving.

I can not seem to leave my furniture alone. I am still pushing things around. I guess this is one thing I love about this house. I have options to make changes. So many houses we have had there was only one place something would fit.

Also enjoyed your pictures turned to paintings. The kitty one was just wonderful.

Chris

• User
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Chris, I like my painting software. There is one technique which turns the photo into mosaics. I'll have to find one done that way and upload it for you.

I've been working outdoors last few days, not much online. I am almost done weeding the rose bed, then laying down the mulch next. It was fairly cool today but muggy and rainy and windy. I finished planting the roses after DH dug up an ailing azalea bush. The bush had terrible camphor tree roots strangling it to death, and a big briar root too. One camphor tree he dug out for me a year ago, we had to tie a chain to the base and pull it out with the 4 wheel drive. VERY invasive trees. And trashy.

I also got the good dirt in some big pots and then planted all my tomatos we grew from seeds in a hydroponics kit. Nice strong seedlings they made.

• Shades_of_idaho
    13 years ago

ML I would like to see how the software creates a picture to mosaic. How fun.

I also got a short time in the yard. Weeds here will have to be sprayed. Hate to do it but my hands do not work well any more.:^( I did get the place mowed down. Hoping we will get some nice weather. We have been cold and windy.

Chris

• prairie-girl
    13 years ago

Just wanted to say thanks to you all for sharing your homes. :) I don't have a public album as of yet. Perhaps when we're all done I'll take the time to sort through and see if I can put them in some sort of order somewhere.

But anyways .....

~Missy

• User
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I'm not sure of all the places you can upload your photos for free. I have a paid account (it started free and I liked to extras so began paying) with Webshots.com

And, because it has to have HTML code to upload shots to Gardenweb, I opened a free account with Tinypic.com
    I know other folks use Photobucket also, think it might be free. Also, you might check out Flickr and see if it works for you.

It is a lot of work to choose photos to share, and I liked Webshots because I could make fairly long captions and comments. Especially for my three main interests: parrots, gardening/plants, and decorating/remodelling. Other folks might know more and/or better places. Any info to share, friends?

• idie2live
    13 years ago

For Gardenweb I use Photobucket for free. I now have a GW album with pics I try not to move.
    For my family pics I use Picassa (for free also). I like it better than Photobucket, but I think Photobucket works better in these forums and on Facebook. Shhh! Please don't tell anyone, but I'm on Facebook now! I must be going through a 2nd childhood, lol

• Shades_of_idaho
    13 years ago

LOL Loretta I am on face book too but have no clue about all the goings on there with farmville and hearts and all that. Rolling my eyes. Not going to try to learn either. My brother and his wife and my nieces and nephews.

• mama goose_gw zn6OH
    13 years ago

I have a confession--I've been 'internet savvy' for less than a year, I'm not on Facebook (my kids used to laugh when I called it 'FacePage'), I've never seen Farmville (my real farm needs attention), I don't know about hearts, and like you, Chris, I don't plan to learn. I'd rather spend my internet time on worthwhile pursuits, such as gardenweb, and reading everyone's great ideas!

• User
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Lawzy lawzy, I am on Facebook too, and I play TWO farm games, FarmTown AND FarmVille. It is addictive, so approach with caution if you are short on time.

There are privacy issues with Facebook, and I am thinking of pulling the plug on my account with them.

We visited my brother yesterday near New Orleans. The day was so muggy and the weather was threatening, tornado watch in effect along the I-10 corridor and elsewhere too. So we dropped off two 30x72 pine cabinets with him. Shelves open on upper half, two panelled doors on bottom half. About 10" deep. We only stayed long enough to eat boiled crawfish and leave him in peace...he is recuperating from knee replacement surgery, and feeling poorly. This morning we got about 4" of rain in an hour, according to the containers sitting around the back yard. So I took the day off today.

• mama goose_gw zn6OH
    13 years ago

LOL, Watch your toes, ML, I'm stepping down off my soap-box!

I do have an internet addiction--I think I've looked at every vintage kitchen picture, and every white kitchen picture at least a dozen times. And green kitchens...and yellow kitchens...and... :o)

• idie2live
    13 years ago

It's okay, you can stay on the soap-box Mama, lol. It's not for everyone. Facebook can be intrusive. I had to block people from posting on my wall because even though I love games, I am only interested in playing them myself(not about other people playing).
    I joined to look up my family members. But my page is so boring and only has one picture of me - which is out of focus (intentionally) and almost no info.
    But I can read my family's posts and keep up with them.

I must admit that I spend a lot of time on my computer. Always have. I am an obsessive online game player - I even pay for one site! Scrabble is my favorite. I play till about 1:00am every night. Pitiful, right!
    Loretta (who is off to play games)

• Shades_of_idaho
    13 years ago

LOL there is no more room in my brain for farm games right now. I can barely keep up with the resolutions and ordinances and rules and regs I have to for the city. My brain is so fried this afternoon all I want to do is sleep. Sigh. Going to have to give it all another go at the office tomorrow.I plum run out of gray matter today. I would be sleeping but right not there is a backhoe in my yard putting in fiber optics for the DSL and phone. Too noisy to sleep. WWWWAAAAHHHH

• User
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Okay, Shades, I could not find the one I really liked, so I made a new mosaic with my photo of a pink hearted bromeliad. I will show the original and then the mosaic. It is the Corel Paint Shop Pro XII or XI (I have both installed). There are two kinds of mosaic tools to use: antique mosaic, which is my favorite so easy to use, and then glass mosaic, which would not be easy to turn into a tile pattern because of the glass textures. Maybe I just need to explore more, but that is my conclusion.
    So here they are for your viewing pleasure while the back hoe whirs away outside.

• Shades_of_idaho
    13 years ago

WOW WOW WOW I went off to break and glue down some glass while they finished up with the backhoe.

That is really neat. I am going to see if I can just pixilate something . Might do just about the same thing. Only it will distort the size. But this really opened my eyes to a possibility of how a person can do a mosaic from a picture.

Thank you very much for showing me this. Gorgeous flower too.

Chris

• Shades_of_idaho
    13 years ago

Hummmm Well it will not work. Darn. So I know some one to send a picture to to fix. LOL Tried several ways to get it to work. Would be nice way to get the right shadings. Course glass is not as broken down into color shades like threads are. All something to ponder.

Chris

• User
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Are you ready for this? More of the mosaics with a different type of subject, and then the TILING TOOL, which you can vary with opacity and arrangement of the tiles. Lots of variables built in.

The original photo:

And the mosaic:

And then for the heck of it, a hanging basket of strawberry begonia au naturel, followed by it turned into glowing edges:

Threw that one in just on chance you might like etching glass too. :)

• wantoretire_did
    13 years ago

I finally signed up for Flickr but haven't figured out how to insert pics into a post with that program. Any suggestions?

We finally moved into our home in October and last month replaced the beige carpeting with Pergo in the LR, K, DR and hall. The window over the sink, after 7 years without one, is such a joy! We still have a little snow on the ground, but I'm making a list of perennials to get started on some color and hope that those 'muffin' shrubs will grow into something more free form.

Here is a link that might be useful: Finally, pics......

• TxMarti
    13 years ago

wantoretire, I use photobucket, but from what I can see on your flickr, you have to click on a thumbnail and then get the code here:

{{!gwi}}

• wantoretire_did
    13 years ago

Had to delete Flickr :-( I'll set up on another site soon.

• User
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Wantto, I have a free account at www.tinypic.com and it is very easy to see what code to use. Once I learned it was the HTML code for Gardenweb, then all I had to do was
    upload from my computer (up to five at a time), and then put leave them where they are when I insert the code into my Gardenweb post. If you ever move it someplace else, the link is gone and the photo disappears from Gardenweb. So if you want it in a special album, upload it into that album to start with.

I'll put the link below for you to check out tinypic.com

I'm using the URL link to my albums.Go to their home page to see how to join.

Here is a link that might be useful: tinypic albums for ML

• User
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Firefox says it does not know this URL, so I will do it again.

Well, I put an extra letter before HTTP, that will sure mess it up. Sorry folks.

Here is a link that might be useful: tinypic albums for ML

• young-gardener
    13 years ago

It's great to see new faces! I'm enjoying all of these pictures. Here is our cottage...or mess in progress, as the case may be.

Here is a link that might be useful: Squirrel Cottage

• wantoretire_did
    12 years ago

I'm back!! Here are some before and after outdoor shots. Most of the plants have survived the brutal heat of a couple of weeks ago.

Here is a link that might be useful: Exterior

• wantoretire_did
    12 years ago

ML, Sorry for the quick post. The former Flickr account had my real name in the URL, which I DID NOT want, so I deleted, and have now rejoined anonymously. Thank you for your suggestions. I just wasn't ready to do it until now. Now, I can post more freely.

• katrina_ellen
    12 years ago

I am not saavy with the picture posting due to never having a digital camera, but I am planning on getting one soon after a little research to find a decent one, so will try and post after that. Really enjoy seeing others homes and gardens!

• TxMarti
    12 years ago

I'm sorry wanto, I just deleted the photo I had posted showing you how to put it on here.

• Shades_of_idaho
    12 years ago

Wanttoretire. I posted on your Flicker account. I am Canary Cottage. LOL Looks wonderful. I would like to know how to post the pictures from Flicker. I remember HTML but it does not seem to work with flicker???

Katrina I have a small point and shoot Sony DSC W180. They probably have a newer version now. I really like it. If it goes south I will get another. They are inexpensive.Light and small. Buttons in the right place for my hands. I think about $139.00 with the extra SD card. I delete my pictures every time so do not need a lot of camera storage. AND I always take my pictures in email mode. I do not need high resolution pictures.

• User
    Original Author
    12 years ago

If you see any "moved pictures" blanks where I once had a photo, it is because Tinypic.com sort of quit working for a while, and I had to reduce the number of photos in my albums. I did not realize I had over 800 of them uploaded to Tinypic. So I'm sure it would be better for you to go to the mother lode of my photos, which is on Webshots.

There is a free version of Webshots but I've gone far beyond that. The paid version just allows more to be uploaded, and you can also download some awesome wallpaper by professional photographers too. American Greetings bought them out a couple of years ago, but the part I use is still the same. The only thing is, I have not figured out how to take an image from there and upload it to GWeb. If I could, I'd skip the Tinyypic and Flickr and Photobucket sites.

Here is a link that might be useful: MoccasinLanding Webshots albums