Return to the Smaller Homes Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Pocket Neighborhoods and 'Good Fit' Small Homes

Posted by jessicaml (My Page) on
Tue, Apr 24, 12 at 16:28

Have you guys heard of Ross Chapin Homes? I was looking at Hooked on Houses last night and was prompted to look for architects designing modern cottages (hoping they existed, in case DH and I can build someday). In my googling, I came up with:

Ross Chapin Architects

I think I could happily live in many of the small homes, but the Elderberry and Plum Corner are my favorites (we hope to have kids and would need the space).

The best part is the details! I've always loved the built-ins of old homes. These have much of the charm of older homes with layouts more suited to modern sensibilities. The "Pocket Neighborhood" concept is neat, too. I hope it catches on! What do you think? Which, if any, would you want to live in?

Here is a link that might be useful: Video Tour of a Home similar to Elderberry

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Pocket Neighborhoods and 'Good Fit' Small Homes

Jessica, yes, I'm familiar with both Ross Chapin and Pocket Neighborhoods. My nephew in New Orleans introduced the concept to us after Katrina, and he is a lawyer mainly interested in real estate and development law. He loves that sort of thing, and I believe he inherited that gene from me. :)

We can never have too many posts about this concept. I think the day of smaller homes is on the horizon.

o

I love his designs! And I used to own one in Vancouver WA. Loved it. Only 900 sq ft but lived large with a front porch and a back patio. I will eventually have another one built as my forever home.

front before landscaping

o

rafor, I adore the porch on that house! I like those plans and would like to build a couple if I could find a lot that would allow it.

o

marti8: this is the coho plan with no upstairs. 2 bd 1 bath with a vaulted ceiling in the "great" room, open to the kitchen which I loved. There was also a laundry/utility room.

Here are a few more pics:

dining alcove

one step up to the dining alcove

view into living area from kitchen:

Can you call it a great room in a 900 sq ft cottage??

kitchen, dining alcove off to the left:

kitchen photo taken standing in living room; dining alcove to the left

decorated porch shelf:

front porch

side yard pergolas: Ignore the mess it was my staging area for a while!

side pathway - ignore the fencing leaning against the house!!

glasshouse built in the back yard:

Photobucket

o

Wow, it is great inside, and I love all the things you did to use the space, both inside and out.

Were the posts outside for climbing vegetables?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Smaller Homes Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here