Return to the Smaller Homes Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Exterior entry steps

Posted by jansblooms (My Page) on
Sat, Apr 2, 11 at 16:26

We built a new home last summer but have yet to finish the exterior stairs and landscaping. I've done enough research to select shade-tolerant shrubs, perennials, and annuals for under our oak trees, but I can't plant them until the sidewalk/path and stairs are in place.

I need help with a vision for stairs. As the photo shows, I'll need steps in two places, one on the south near the front door, replacing the old temporary steps there now, and also on the east end of the porch. I expect that the east stairs will be used most, as they are closest to where any guest would park on our acreage. There will be a Y-shaped walk to connect with both sets of steps.

Would you suggest stained wood, concrete steps, or white steps of synthetic material? (We are trying to eliminate as much maintenance as possible, so we don't want to paint.) The porch is gray concrete. I think I'd like railings to match the white porch railings. Are there other ideas I haven't even considered?

The white house is trimmed with black shutters, light gray textured gables, red doors, and pewter/charcoal shingles. On the right/east of the photo are the mud room and garage, not shown, with matching gable.

I will appreciate any suggestions or opinions you share.

Here is a link that might be useful: Bloom52's Album House Front

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Exterior entry steps

Nice looking house, neat as can be.

I've read something about AZEK which they use to make decks that look like wood but are not. Look into that for your steps. No maintenancee, as I unnderstand it. No termites either.

Whatever you do with your steps, make wide treads and low risers. This is much easier for people to climb, and IMHO, it makes for a friendlier entry way. I think you have the room to do anything you like.

o
RE: Exterior entry steps

like this ML? it's what I'd like mine to be like... pic from a gw'er...maybe on this forum - i forget tho.

Photobucket

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Smaller Homes Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here