Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
txmarti

Keep lamp or take back to store?

TxMarti
13 years ago

I spent the weekend shopping with friends. Not always a good thing as I buy things and then wonder why later. Like this lamp. I really like the lamp, but I didn't take any measurements with me and didn't know what size I needed. Alone, it doesn't work in this spot for me. Soooo, do I keep and put something with it (and if so, what?), or do I keep and put by the bed, or do I just take it back to the store?

{{!gwi}}

Any ideas to cover up the plug in the middle, or the cords if I put this or another lamp there? I have a small picture over the main jumble of cord in the above picture, and in the below picture, I wanted to see what a grouping of candles would look like. I only have one size candle so used some coasters to give a little height.

{{!gwi}}

Comments (11)

• Shades_of_idaho
    13 years ago

Love the lamp. Maybe not in that spot. You can paint yourplug switch to blend into bricks. I put glass on mine for my bath back splash. LOL You can also paint your cord. Done it many times and it makes it disappear.

Plug is next picture in album.

Course you do not want glass but just craft paint will work.

Here is a link that might be useful: Light Switch Hidden LOL

• TxMarti
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Wow, you did a great job disguising that switch. I had thought of painting the cover when I paint the brick. I just need a long weekend with dh away to do that.

• Shades_of_idaho
    13 years ago

OH You are going to paint the brick then?? What color? Will look great. I love painted brick. It usually sucks the paint and when I did it I had to do two coats of primer even though one is recomended. The people before me had painted their bricks RED!!! NOT a pretty brick red either. And the walls were lime green. but not going into all of that. Just will say it took me 25 GALLONS to paint inside of small 1400 SQ FT house.Lots of windows and open floor plan so not a lot of walls.

• TxMarti
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I'm not going to paint them a solid color, just put some more color on the solid tan ones so they look more like the rust & brown ones. I'll probably use a masonry stain.

• desertsteph
    13 years ago

I'm going to spray paint my switch/socket covers eventually. at least those that can be seen by the eye (not behind a piece of furniture). I bought 1 or 2, then thought 'what am I thinking? replacing all of these will cost a mini fortune!'
    I returned the few I bought and will paint them maybe in the fall.

could you put a section of that rounded floor moulding along where the mantel meets the brick hiding the cord behind it?

• TxMarti
    Original Author
    13 years ago

That's a good idea steph, I hadn't thought of hiding it behind something flat.

• Nancy in Mich
    13 years ago

Hi Marti!

Have I showed you this link before? I love the before and after pictures. This company acts like it expects you to be creative with mixing their colors to make the shades you need. Even though it is in the UK, I think they give a good deal with free shipping costs.

Here is a link that might be useful: Dye Brick

• User
    13 years ago

Marti, what did you decide about the lamp? Keep it or return it?

It occurred to me that with the UP glass bulb cover, you can do what I did with a pair of lamps having such UP globes on them. A nice soft cream colored shade not big around would work fine, and still throw the light UP to your high ceiling. No glare at all from lamps which have those UP globes.

• TxMarti
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Yes, I've seen that one Nancy. I think I even bookmarked it.

ML, I haven't done a thing. It's still on the mantel. Dh noticed my inspection sticker was expired last Wednesday and I needed other things done to the car too, just I just stayed home or drove the unairconditioned truck short distances. I got my car inspected today so I'm safe to drive again. I'm pretty sure I'm going to take it back.

• rhoda_dendron
    13 years ago

The easiest way to cover up the switch plate is to lean your art rather than hang it. It will give you just enough room for the plugs, but you won't see them.

• TxMarti
    Original Author
    13 years ago

That's what I usually do with the little picture. It looks funny right in the middle though.

I took the lamp back to the store. It just wasn't right.