Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
nancyinmich

R H Introduces "Petite" sized furniture

Nancy in Mich
9 years ago

I realized that my subject line sounded like an ad for Restoration Hardware, so I shortened their name to the initials! I recently bought a pair of medicine cabinets from them, so I am now getting their advertisements in email. It amuses me to see how the "spendy" folk live for now, so I haven't yet unsubscribed. Today I looked at their ad and saw that they are making some of their upholstered furniture smaller. Not for the anorexic, but for smaller spaces. I found that interesting and thought that some of you might too. If you click on their link, you can see how the "Petite Collection" compares to their normal sized chair. The seat area is definitely a bit smaller and lower to the ground, but most of the size differential is in the other parts of the chair. I see that they are talking about townhome living (like classy in-town places to live when your family country mansion is too boring), so they are still aiming for the perceived "well-to-do" and their wannabes. Since I have bought everything from used furniture stores and Craigslist for the past several years, I won't be shopping there. $2200 for a couch is far beyond my budget. But it is an interesting concept and I wonder if it will be a trend?

Here is a link that might be useful: RH link

Comments (6)

• writersblock (9b/10a)
    9 years ago

But if you go in and look at the measurements, they're mostly just regular sized pieces as opposed to the furniture for giants that RH has been pushing.

Only they could refer to a sofa that's 108 x 30 x 34 as "petite". They've had a "small spaces" section on their website for some time that had essentially nothing to do with living in small or even usual sized homes.

• Shades_of_idaho
    9 years ago

" It amuses me to see how the "spendy" folk live for now, so I haven't yet unsubscribed."

OH Hahahaha Me too. I did like the chair in the smaller size. The bigger one looks like the arms are too high. But the cost Woo hoo. Life is not boring enough here for that expense. LOL

Pretty furniture though. There was a place that sold smaller furniture on the road to the hospital. Maybe I can stop in there for a look see. Always looking for better pieces and then like you I end up at the thrift shops.

• writersblock (9b/10a)
    9 years ago

>Always looking for better pieces and then like you I end up at the thrift shops.

I can guarantee that most of what you find in the thrift is at least comparable in quality and probably better. :)

• Nancy in Mich
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Writersblock, that goes to show how much I know about furniture purchasing, I wouldn't have recognized that their sizes weren't that small if you had not posted. I admit that I had not looked at the sizes, but I would not know small from medium from large unless I got out a tape measure and measured my Craigslist couch.

Chris, I put a link to my favorite used furniture store on the spring project thread. It is where I got the chest and chair.

• TxMarti
    9 years ago

I just glanced at the link but the furniture, even the smaller size, is still bulky looking. To me, small spaces need furniture that has leaner lines, like low arms rather than a big rolled arm.

• User
    9 years ago

I'm with Marti on this one. Small pieces doesn't mean lower seats, but it does mean a smaller footprint, no big fat rolled arms, poochie backs. My favorite style was the "Tuxedo" look, where the arms were same height as the back, all were thin, and one long seat cushion, with loose down filled pillows. It is sort of a day bed I suppose.

Those smaller pieces look so good in smaller homes. Since I've packed up a lot of stuff to empty the rooms of all but necessities, the living room in particular looks much bigger. I don't like furniture pushed against the wall (it needs breathing room), because it reminds me of a mourner's parlor at the mortuary. No sense of intimacy in a waiting room.

Sponsored
MAC Design + Build
Average rating: 4.5 out of 5 stars17 Reviews
Loudon County Full-Service Design/Build Firm & Kitchen Remodeler