Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lavender_lass

A table in the kitchen...

lavender_lass
11 years ago

Is it just me, or is there something so cozy and inviting about a farm table, in the middle of the kitchen?
{{gwi:1433910}}From Farmhouse plans

Comments (18)

• TxMarti
    11 years ago

I like tables in the kitchen too. That one looks like it is in a separate room though. It still looks cozy.

• lavender_lass
    Original Author
    11 years ago

You're probably right, but I'm choosing to believe it's in the kitchen and that's a pantry, next to it :)

I've been looking for farmhouse table pictures and I really like this one! While islands are nice and very functional, it not really the same.

• Shades_of_idaho
    11 years ago

We had a table in the kitchen and it was nice.
    http://shadesofidaho.multiply.com/photos/album/3/Cambridge_House#photo=10

Here is a link that might be useful: Second view same room

• ellendi
    11 years ago

We have a table although not in the middle of the room. I have a small basic L-shaped kitchen with the table on the side wall.
    When we were renovating a few options came up such a a counter height penisula. My husband said that he has eaten at a kitchen table all his life and did not want to change things now!

• lavender_lass
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Oh, that is nice! I really like all the plants, too :)

• Shades_of_idaho
    11 years ago

LL it was nice but we almost never ate at the table. Only when company came. Which was rare. I used it mostly for my craft table for sewing or beadwork. Was a lovely space to work in. LOL

• lavender_lass
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Ellendi- That sounds so nice, with the table by the window. Any pictures? I'm glad your husband wanted to keep the table :)

Shades- It would be a lovely space to work in. All that light and plants...and still cozy.

• krayers
    11 years ago

Lovely & inviting kitchen.

• lavender_lass
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Krayers- Thanks, I'm glad you like it! That table makes me want to sit down with a cup of tea and chat :)

I've been thinking about how I use the kitchen and dining areas I have...and how I'd like to use them, in the farmhouse. While our current kitchen has some nice features (like the wall oven and a nice view) it doesn't have space for a table. The table is next to it, but not in it. I miss that...so I've been trying something a little different. What do you think? {{gwi:1433904}}From Farmhouse plans

If we took the wall down, between the current living room and bedroom, in the farmhouse, this would be the space. I added the porch (of course) but I really like the idea.

This is not a picture of our fireplace, but it's similar. Our brick has a bit more of a deep rose tone and there's space for a bookcase on one side and a window seat on the other. {{!gwi}}From Farmhouse plans

• desertsteph
    11 years ago

I'm confused now. Do you mean move the kitchen and eating area/table over to the right side of the house? away from the pantry/mud room/greenhouse etc?

• lavender_lass
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Steph- Hi! Yes, it would mean moving everything around. I have been trying to figure out a way to do this, since the first time I walked into the farmhouse. That huge fireplace looks like it should be in a keeping room, not a living room...but how to set up everything else? So, I kept the living room and bedroom 'as is' in the farmhouse and moved the kitchen to the south side of the house...great light, but not as good a view of the horses and pasture/trees, etc.

Then, Summerfield drew a few ideas and put a new living room in the back. I never thought to do that...and she did one plan with the master bedroom in the front (where I had the kitchen/keeping room) and I thought...maybe if I combined these plans...

Anyway, it's still a work in progress, but here's a very rough 'cut and tape' of the different plans. What I love is that the best view is the right back corner of the plan. So we could see that from the living room/kitchen and porch, in this plan. The greenhouse needs more light, so it will go on the front of the garage (facing southeast) that would be to the left of the house. That's why the mudroom has to be on the other end of the house. {{gwi:1433912}}From Farmhouse plans

• Shades_of_idaho
    11 years ago

LL the one thing I do not like about our house is we have an 18 foot long hallway. Even though it is a fairly wide hallway as hall ways go I just hate it. I feel hallways are a total waste of good space.There was no getting around it here. I had to compromise. I only saw the shorter version on the lot and was shocked how much difference my stretches made in the hall.

• lavender_lass
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Shades- I wondered about that too, until I realized that we have a 40' hall, across the living room/office area, in our house now. You just don't notice it, because there's no walls dividing it off. That's why I put the bookcases on one side and big openings into the living/family room, on the other.

One thing I do like about the long hall space...the kitties love to run up and down, chasing their toys. Yes, I do plan with all family members, in mind! LOL

• lavender_lass
    Original Author
    11 years ago

On the Building a Home forum, there is some concern about my kitchen table...so this is another option. I could move the table closer to the big window (I do like the light) but to keep the 'keeping room feel' have a window seat, a chair (maybe ottoman) by the fireplace and a desk in the corner.
    {{gwi:1433913}}From Farmhouse plans

The island would look more like this, facing the kitchen sink, but I would like stools on the other side. Any thoughts? :) {{gwi:1433914}}From Fairy tale cottage

And a big window seat. {{gwi:1422907}}From Lavender Lass farmhouse pictures

• Shades_of_idaho
    11 years ago

I think you better check code on how far your bedroom door can be from an outside exit. I know here it can be no more than 35 feet and not through another doorway that could be locked.

• lavender_lass
    Original Author
    11 years ago

You mean from the mudroom exit? I doubt we'll have a lock, between the laundry room and the mudroom. I just need a door there, to keep the cats from sneaking outside...too many coyotes and cars!

The 'front door' of the mudroom will go out to the front parking and garage, while the back will lead out to the screened porch/hot tub.

• Shades_of_idaho
    11 years ago

LL I am not your building inspector. I just think you need to check code to be sure. It is a safety issue. They made us put in another door to the outside.I will say no more. Promise.

• lavender_lass
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Shades- You know I always value your opinion! I know my mom ran into that code, when she was modifying her manufactured home. Of course, we'll check code, but I wasn't sure if you were talking about the front door or mudroom door.

You know the best thing about this plan? All the areas that need to be added are what my husband really likes, except for the little porch, off the kitchen. It's the first time, I won't have to justify that bigger bath or sunroom addition. This could be a very good sign! :)

Sponsored
Dream Baths by Kitchen Kraft
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars12 Reviews
Your Custom Bath Designers & Remodelers in Columbus I 10X Best Houzz