Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
caroline94535

The cabinet maker's kitchen plan

caroline94535
9 years ago

Just to complicate my kitchen plans, here's the original plans the cabinet company come up with.

I love it.

Except...

It does not address my main problem. Putting a physical barrier between my working kitchen and the main walkway of the house.

As lovely as this plan is, it still allows people and dogs to storm through every part of the kitchen even when I'm trying to work in it.

I will have to post each photo separately.

Overhead look...

Comments (13)

• caroline94535
    Original Author
    9 years ago

South wall with sink.

The pantry cabinet is 30x30 inches; the microwave upper cabinet extends 24 inches, and the plain cabinet extends 14 inches.

• caroline94535
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Looking toward the north wall; where I'm planning the barricaded "hallway."

The living room is to the right.

The opening to the right of the cabinets is the hallway; the opening to the left goes to the downstairs landing and mudroom.

• caroline94535
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Looking west.

I love this layout, but it would have the same problem I have now. No way to direct traffic.

I don't want the cabinets over the sink; nor the skinny ones flanking and above the stove, either.

So change the island to a row of lower cabinets, run them down from the west window, and either remove the cabinets on the left, or make them 14" deep, 6' wide, and hope that leave enough room for the hallway?

• Shades_of_idaho
    9 years ago

The only thing that might be a problem unless you get some sort of pull out shelf is the 30 inch pantry cabinet depth. I had one like that and always some thing got lost in the back.

My dogs are trained to sty out of the kitchen when I am cooking. and I get ugly with them if they dare to enter. I do not need to be tripped. They are just the right height to do so. LOL

I REALLY love our layout. BUT............... if I had it to do over again I would have had the peninsula come off the sink counter instead of across the room. I had a kitchen like that once and it was wonderful.

Must make dump run with husband. Be back later.

• caroline94535
    Original Author
    9 years ago

The measurements. In this version he was trying to close in some of the too-large opening between kitchen and living room (do-able) and put the fridge there.

• mdln
    9 years ago

To do that, I would switch the fridge & pantry cab, probably needing to decrease/eliminate upper & lower cabs to left of sink.

Would also change size/shape of the island; maybe something scalene triangular shaped.

• Shades_of_idaho
    9 years ago

I posted at the same time you posted the cabinets down the right wall. I would LOVE that and at 14 inches deep they would be perfect. I would shave off the eating edge on the island unless you really need it. We took the one off the plan here. Of course before it was built. If you put people on stools at the island as shown it would then send people into your kitchen.

Another thought is to block the one end off with some thing like a baby gate for now. Or low saloon swinging doors. This will train people and dogs it is a no passing zone. LOL After awhile you can take down that gate and they will still stay out. When I walk both dogs on leashes the male on left female on right ALWAYS. Male will NOT go behind me and try to get on right. Even off leash he will not go behind me and come up on right. It is a trip factor with leash I stopped him from ever doing this but it is kind of funny even off leash he will not do so. Guess he does not really understand WHY he is not allowed to come up on my right. He just learned not to do so. At our age I have to be very careful to keep control of the dogs. When hubby was so weak from his chemo then home from hospital and surgery i REALLY had to be careful to keep the dogs in line. I am not a mean dog mommy. I have a 50 pound lap dog too. LOL I just do not want them to knock us down.

• desertsteph
    9 years ago

'My dogs are trained to stay out of the kitchen when I am cooking. and I get ugly with them if they dare to enter'

same here. I flap my arms and scream - that scares her.

how about a hallween mat? they step on it and it screeches at them?

the inner/hall wall cabs could be much shallower. my pantry shelves are 18" deep and for me that's really too deep. I'd rather they were about 14" deep. I don't keep that many kinds of food in cans. 3 cans deep would be plenty.

you could move the stove over a few inches...
    I'd put the dw to the left of sink so door doesn't clash w/oven door. fridge to left of dw.

do you want a corner LS to the left of stove?

• desertsteph
    9 years ago

oh my...

look here... her kit is 12 x 15

Here is a link that might be useful: kitchens

• Shades_of_idaho
    9 years ago

WOW that is a Gorgeous kitchen.

• desertsteph
    9 years ago

it's about the same size and similar layout

gives a fair idea about spacing

• caroline94535
    Original Author
    9 years ago

So beautiful!

And her built in!

It is very similar to what I'm hoping for on the north end of my living room. Mine can't be "built in" and will project into the room, but I can't wait to have it. I want glass doors on the shelving areas.

I'm drowning in Easter prep right now, but I'll have more questions Monday!

• Nancy in Mich
    9 years ago

Caroline, I do not have time to enlarge your last set of plans and really decipher everything, but I wanted to let you know that we had a 6 ft run of pantry cabs that were only 12" deep, and that was still plenty! We did not keep dishes there, so we only had food packaging depth to worry about. If you have to steal more space, that is one way to go.

AND in the house where we live now, we had a pantry space that was 30" wide and 40" deep and it was the most worthless space in a kitchen I have ever had. Too small to make walk-in, too deep to get to anything. If your 30" deep pantry is not a pull-out, make it one or you will regret it the rest of your time in the house.

Here is a link that might be useful: Pantry, keep clicking

Sponsored
EA Home Design
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars69 Reviews
Loudoun County's Trusted Kitchen & Bath Designers | Best of Houzz