Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kitykat44

What is your favorite...

kitykat
11 years ago

It's a gorgeous Kansas morning, as I sip coffee and smile, walking through this pretty little cottage. MY favorite 'thing' about the house is the many large windows, with garden views all around.

Because of a 'non-winter' (we had 4 months of November), trees are fully leafed-out, iris and peonies are full of bloom, roses have started. The colors, textures and lushness take my breath away!

So, let's share. Big or small... what is YOUR most favorite thing about your home???

Comments (43)

• oneblueonebrown
    11 years ago

Our neighborhood. We have amazing neighbors and a great location (playgrounds, parks, the bay, the elementary school and a small village with shops and restaurants all within walking distance.)

• jakabedy
    11 years ago

I love that it relaxes me. It is open, has lots of glass, and very little "stuff." It's a refuge.

• desertsteph
    11 years ago

the one I'm in - only that it IS on my land and that I'll be out of it soon!

the new one - LOTS of windows - views of the desert. Also, it's much better insulated and has a/c and heat!

I love the desert but sure do miss peonies and lilac bushes.

• TxMarti
    11 years ago

I love my location and my yard, or at least having a large yard. I hope I soon love my finished house. I will love that it is finished anyway.

• cienza
    11 years ago

My favorite thing about our home is that it's OUR home (my husband and I SHARE it, together), that I get to come home to it every night & it's still there (and so is he), that we're NOT renting it! I don't care if we have exposed studs for the next two decades, and if the work inside NEVER gets done!

• lavender_lass
    11 years ago

Outside- The views of the pasture and trees, with the horses playing and running around. Also, I really like our garden areas with roses and other flowers.

Inside- How warm and cozy our house is, especially when it's snowing outside :)

• User
    11 years ago

Mostly I love that this is the last home I'll ever live in, and I can pour my whole heart into it. All the years I held back doing and having what I wanted are over, and now is the time to make dreams come true. The fact that my DH wants me to do what I wish is so sweet, because he realizes it's designed to fulfill both our dreams.

I love looking out the kitchen window at the courtyard with my plants, the neatly trimmed grass area, the bird feeder, the water in the birdbath, the spanish moss draped over the tree limbs, an empty chaise waiting for me. And my Teahouse, a world of dreaming there! Life is good.

• jessicaml
    11 years ago

I love how many of these things we love about our "house" is more the yard and surroundings!

"My favorite thing about our home is that it's OUR home (my husband and I SHARE it, together), that I get to come home to it every night & it's still there (and so is he)"

Cienza, I envy you! My DH is going to an out of state school right now, leaving me to take care of the house and pets. I never intended to be a home owner on my own! Even a small home can feel big and lonely.

Moccassinlanding and LavendarLass, I wish I could borrow your views for a while! :) That sounds lovely.

Desertsteph, I lived in desert for a while, and it has a unique beauty, but I do prefer lilacs! Hopefully ours will bloom this year. It's a variety I'm unfamiliar with, but DH planted it last year.

My favorite thing about our home is making it feel like "ours" rather than an outdated factory home. And my little 6'x7' berry patch out back! I don't spend much time there - my plants have to thrive on benign neglect - but when I do, I feel so very at peace. It made my month to see all squirmy worms come out when I loosened the soil last week!

• Shades_of_idaho
    11 years ago

I love our house because I finally do not have to concern myself about resale. I can do to it whatever I want. When we die it is all going to the Best Friends Animal shelter. Let them deal with selling it. LOL It will be fine. Really I am not destroying it but I am doing my mosaics on the walls and planting a kind of weird yard because I like it that way.

I love the spring flowers. I love the freedom to do what I want.

Pictures of flowers and mosaics if you want to look.

Here is a link that might be useful: Spring and Glass 2012

• rosesstink
    11 years ago

Spent the day out in the gardens so, despite my current aches, I guess my favorite part is that I have so much land. Room to do just about anything I want. Bad part of that is I have maintain all those things. As DH says "It's a good sore."

• Painted_Nest
    11 years ago

I love how my little cottage "embraces" me....how it surrounds my soul in a cocoon of serenity and creativity...I love that my home has wonderful nooks, crannies, and crevices filled with mementos of the life I have lived. From the front porch shaded by an ancient cedar tree, to my little parlor, to my hand-painted cozy kitchen...each spot has lure all its own :) (I adored reading everyone's answers)

• desertsteph
    11 years ago

"Desertsteph, I lived in desert for a while, and it has a unique beauty, but I do prefer lilacs! "

where did you live in the desert?

lilacs (big sigh) - guess I'll have to fake it and buy some at Michael's and then get a lilac scented candle. My sister puts 'blooms' from M's in her large pots of cacti outside - lol! it actually looks great. I guess it's better'n no blooms in the heat of our summers. I used to laugh at her, now i think I'll join her. I won't have to worry about watering them anyway.

• Shades_of_idaho
    11 years ago

Steph I spent ten dollars at the dollar store of course on silk flower bushes for the front porch. Tried live ones and the porch kitties just peed in the pots. Not my idea of a nice porch welcome. LOL the silk are pretty from the road. Kitties pretty much leave them alone.

• jessicaml
    11 years ago

"where did you live in the desert?" - Albuquerque, so mountainous desert, but still quite a change for this Wyomingite!

"planting a kind of weird yard because I like it that way" - Weird how, shades? I was just reading tonight about how clover can be great in a lawn and so can meadow grasses if mowed low, and it made me think of how I'd love to have a crazy half wild, half edible, half fairy garden kind of yard (whoops, too many halves) if I didn't have resale hanging over my head. Well, resale and a husband who's OCD about the lawn.

• Shades_of_idaho
    11 years ago

"Weird how, shades?"

Because I just planted everything together and let the fittest survive. I call it slightly controlled chaos. I turned a farm gate into a pergola clothesline and painted it purple with black and white shade cloth awning sort of.

I have old farm equipment as yard decoration and planters of old farm tanks and a sink collection.

We do have a lawn of sorts. Trying to get a good one going as green and easy is good. OH and I build fences of vintage headboards. But they are painted white. Glass totems all over the yard. Weird enough?? LOL

• kitykat
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Ahhh, Painted Nest, your words brought a smile and knowing nod. "Embrace....cocoon... serenity... lure"

And jessica, picking up on the importance of views and surroundings.

So... it appears we mostly appreciate the 'feeling' our homes invoke; cluttered or minimalist, wide open spaces or urban/suburban closeness, our homes nurture our essence... and they are OURS to satisfy personal dreams.

Thank you all for sharing...

• honorbiltkit
    11 years ago

shades -- Is that your mosaic work? It's fabulous. Reminds me of Gaudi's Park Güell in Barcelona, albeit on a smaller scale. Cheers. hbk

• Shades_of_idaho
    11 years ago

honorbiltkit , Yes I am doing the mosaics. I love to play with glass. Soothing to me. LOL Give me time to look like Gaudi's park. I would love to do his style all over our house. I do plan on adding some to the front porch but do have to be careful it does not blind drivers on the road.

• idie2live
    11 years ago

This is my 42nd year in this house and I must say the best thing to me is finally having a bathroom all to my self! In the middle of the night, when I'm half asleep - it is priceless, lol

• desertsteph
    11 years ago

'"where did you live in the desert?" - Albuquerque, so mountainous desert, but still quite a change for this Wyomingite! '

aaahhh! NM! been over there twice. well, once was coming to AZ - passed by Albuquerque - loved it - except for the snow. Marty Slaymaker lived there (I'd met her before she moved west). I have 2 original signed prints of hers. they'll be going up in my kitchen. I'll be so happy to be able to look at them every day!

Then in the late 90's i drove over w/my sister to visit her friend. somewhere around Elephant lake? that media/tv owner Ted ? lived close. I seem to remember the friend pointing it out to us while there. It was beautiful there.

Standing at the sink in the new kitchen today, I loved being able to look out and see the Superstitions!

• phoggie
    11 years ago

Kitykat~
    It has indeed been a good winter in Kansas! I still have this big 4090 SF house, but it has sold and now I am looking at MUCH smaller house plans or even considering a duplex......stressful for me now...DH passed away...so now those decisions are just mine!

Do any of you live in a duplex?...if so, how is it working for you?...and if you have one of a back view, I'd love to see your floor plan...thanks!

• dedtired
    11 years ago

Favorite thing? It's paid for.

• kitykat
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Phoggie: As you consider house plans, I might suggest your first considerations regard both access and maintenance. If, however, you have the means to hire out housecleaning and maintenance chores, then you have much greater choice.

I am almost 70, and appreciate 8' ceilings, no stairs, built-ins, and little clutter. Kitchens and bathrooms without tile(and grout) make for less work. Built-ins for TV and books, clothing in closets, office needs, means you do not need to move furniture to clean under and behind.

Also, I find 'up-and-down' most difficult any more. Getting DOWN to clean and dust under and in corners, floors, fetch things from low shelves or cabinets, working in the garden, means I also need to get UP. Not necessarily pretty or graceful... and I don't have weight issues, just age! Everything takes longer to accomplish... and wears me out quicker.

Just a few things to consider.

• desertsteph
    11 years ago

'I find 'up-and-down' most difficult any more. Getting DOWN to clean and dust under and in corners, floors, fetch things from low shelves or cabinets, working in the garden, means I also need to get UP. Not necessarily pretty or graceful... and I don't have weight issues, just age! Everything takes longer to accomplish... and wears me out quicker. '

sounds like me this wk as I attempted to clean 2 bottom shelves, rip out the contact paper on them and put down shelf liner (not contact paper). good grief! it was so slow and painful (getting down there and back up)!

I did a quick cleaning of the under the sink cabinet in my mstr bath and then called it quits for the day. (still had plants to water, puppy to walk etc)

I'll finish that cab another day (probably a day...and a night!) - what might have once taken me 20 min or so.

I totally agree with your input on cleaning, maintenance and general moveability. These are certainly things that should be high priority for us. I'm trying to approach everything I can with that view. I even thought along those lines yesterday while contemplating which wall to move my thermostat to... to the left there is an overhead light - so I want it to be on that wall so I can READ it! It's a bit more of a move (it's closer to the wall on the right - but there's no light there). I really don't want to have to use a flashlight to check / adjust it. The wall it's on now will become a doorway for easier access to that room /less walking.

single lever faucets, lever doorknobs, cabinet pulls that are wide and have a very good projection (over 1" / prefer 1.25"). It does limit options tho but I think will be better. I'm caring less about looks and more about 'ease of use' these days. Usually both can be obtained - just not always my first choice in looks.

• phoggie
    11 years ago

KityKat~~
    Where are you located in Kansas? I am now in Junction City, but plan to move on May 26th to Burlington...down in Coffey County...back home! I wish I could find a house there to suit my needs, but will probably have to build...and that is not what I am really wanting to do at this stage of life...70...with terrible arthritis...so I know the "ups & downs"...I can kinda fall down (and do sometimes), but getting up is the problem...had two hips an a knee replaced...and those just do not bend like I'd like, but heck, that is better than the pain.

My departed DH made this house so handicapped accessible that I must have that again...and unless, I build, those are rare as hen's teeth~~

You all have a good week-end... :-)

• flgargoyle
    11 years ago

Well, to me, 'home' is now our property in SC. I'm living in the barn while I build the house. Since there IS no house as of yet, my favorite thing would have to be the woods all around me. Lately, I've been party to the mating battles of the tiny Carolina Wrens here. For a little bird, they sure pack a punch.

• turtleshope
    11 years ago

We had this house built for us, involved in the design all the way along, so I love just about everything about it. But especially the views (on a small lake), the deck, being surrounded by nature, & sharing with my appreciative DH.

• Rudebekia
    11 years ago

Maybe a few photos will help?

{{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

• flgargoyle
    11 years ago

How many of those black and white cats do you have?

• mimi72
    11 years ago

I love...
    Lots of windows / light
    Uncluttered spaces (continually a challenge to keep purging)
    Although a typical late 90s midwest house, just by luck the layout is such that the passive cooling is awesome! (I love open windows, hate air conditioning)
    The neighborhood kids which entice our boys to play outside more than is typical in this day and age
    The swimming pool we put in last summer which 3 boys are loving (and I find myself loving tending to the landscaping more than I'd thought).

I didn't always love this house. It was supposed to be the "starter" house when we moved to the area, then we'd move to "the dream home" after a few years. Well, I looked and looked and looked, and there was something that always kept us here. The neighbors, the yard, the extra money we'd have to spend on a bigger home, or small things. We've done several modifications/upgrades, and the pool last year was one final expense that we won't recoup...so we aren't moving now!!

But, since this house is much less than we "could" afford...we payed off the mortgage a couple of weeks ago! And now that's what I like best of all about my house!!!

• musicteacher
    11 years ago

Love is there!

• caligal
    11 years ago

Views out both my French sliders. I see flowers, trees, butterflies, and birds. And my lovely fountain.

& My Ikea kitchen.

The mortgage is paid off! It's ours!

• Shades_of_idaho
    11 years ago

Calagal. Lovely yard and kitchen.

• Nancy in Mich
    11 years ago

First floor laundry, halls with new linoleum floors, kitchen and family room that we remodeled. Skylight in kitchen! Two toilets!

• Shades_of_idaho
    11 years ago

Nancy we want to do linoleum in the hallway too. How do the dogs do on it? Do you have to have runners?

• caligal
    11 years ago

Thanks shades! My hubby & I did most of the work. I love looking at my kitchen every day.I used to really hate it.

Nancy, you just reminded me about my kitchen skylight! It is my only kitchen window. Our house is 27 years old and I discovered a crack last month during a thunderstorm. I need to repair it before the next rain. I'm glad I saw your post. We are going to use some auto glass epoxy and see how that works.

• phoggie
    11 years ago

KittyKat.....I just read your first post about beautiful Kansas....sure is a different place now, isn't it? We are so burned up and desperately dry! I am glad my new build is not far along to seed the lawn...would not happen now!

• autumn.4
    11 years ago

Phoggie-I was in KS the first weekend of June and it rained the entire drive from MI right on through to Emporia. We are dry here too. I remarked to my hubby the other day I bet that was the last measurable rain anyone has had - it was May 31 that we headed that way and the corn looked so good - so tall already!

We have finally had a few days of showers in the past couple of weeks but sadly I think it's too late for many of the crops.

• Nancy in Mich
    11 years ago

Hi all,
    Caligal, glad to be of service in reminding you of your needed repair.

Chris, the dogs are simply okay on the lino. Ours is the real cork and linseed oil Marmoleum, and it has a matte finish. They walk okay on it, not totally in control of all four feet all the time, but not sliding around everywhere. Sitting on it is hard for them because their front paws slide out, so they lie on it, mostly. But they walk on it just fine. Toby can't get up the ramp from the family room to the dining room without a rug there. I had a runner. It got removed when Mr. Poopy, a 17 year-old toy poodle mix, took up residence in the kitchen for the winter. He had a little pen, but his mama let him out to walk (no, stagger) around the kitchen for a while each day when she visited him. She usually rolled up the runner, and one day it just got left out of the space. I am kinda waiting for someone else to figure out it needs to be unrolled and vacuumed and taken off to be cleaned! I think I am going to end up doing it in the end. So meanwhile, we have a shaggy bathroom rug on the ramp with a sticky rug pad under it, to give him traction to get up the ramp. I think that both dogs like the coolness of the lino. Casey lies on the lino in the foyer, where it is colder because it is on concrete there, every morning as I leave for work. I have to step over him. So I don't think they mind it too much. This hard Marmoleum is impervious to their nails, too. Toby is about 40 lbs, Casey is 60 lbs. Here is a picture of the lino from the kitchen, with our dearly departed Bina.

• Shades_of_idaho
    11 years ago

thanks Nancy on the flooring information. I am thinking of using the matte finish for what is left to do then. It might even look a little more planned this way with a change from the sheet vinyl to the squares. I can always do runners in the hall. We have been working very hard to calm the dogs coming into and going out of the house. With the two of them they can be hooligans and I do not want them to get hurt or knock us down. LOL I guess a slicker floor will slow them down a little. Might not be too bad.

• Nancy in Mich
    11 years ago

Chris, I forgot to tell you that the anti-static properties of linoleum are true. A LOT fewer shocks are exchanged in our house in the winter!

• Shades_of_idaho
    11 years ago

But But But how do I get going in the morning if I do not slide out of bed only to get both feet shocked?? Kind of takes the spark out of sweet moment kisses. LOL

• kitykat
    Original Author
    11 years ago

How fun this thread was revived!

Phoggie... Yes it was HOT and dry. Now it is just dry... but, the garden looks great. Grass is green, plants are doing well, although roses are blooming sparsely. However, I may need to declare bankruptcy because of the water bill!!!

So, the large windows still provide a beautiful vista. On the other hand, just having bread and water on the dinner table is getting old.....

Sponsored
Cumberland Custom Homes
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars5 Reviews
Northern Virginia's Green Residential Builder & Renovator