Return to the Smaller Homes Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Another tiny house

Posted by marti8a (My Page) on
Wed, Apr 11, 12 at 0:00

Looks like a storage building, but the twist is that a family of 4 is living there.

Tiny house on Anderson Cooper.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Another tiny house

That is a darling space.

o

they did great building that little space for their family! good for them!

o

Too bad that that house wouldn't be legal in most areas. In fact, I'd bet it doesn't meet any state building code. Just because a local jurisdiction doesn't have code enforcement doesn't mean it's necessarily legal. I really wish the government would re-think some of these rules so more people could live affordably.

It's hard to picture living in a space that small, especially long-term, but in many parts of the world, that home would be a luxury.

o

OH Jay I forgot about the building codes and size restrictions. This house would be too small for Midvale. I think 320 SQ FT is as small as you can go here. I could do a house this small fro vacation only I could not sleep in the loft. Too close for me.

o

They built it on a flat bed trailer. That is one of the points of the tiny house movement. It is not a permanent structure, you can tow it away, therefore you do not have to meet building codes. The size restrictions you have are those that would allow you to tow the house - it can only be so wide to fit on the road and only so high so you don't have a problem with bridges. My brother is in the process of building one.

o

I've been interested in Tiny Houses for years but am always so surprised at how much they cost already built and to build yourself. However, if you really did the research and hunted for bargains like they did it would be feasible. I would want it as a second home or cottage, not sure I could live in one full time; but definitely would consider it if I had no alternative. Especially since I'd have only myself to worry about.

o

I live on my own in a cottage that's 567 square feet. I love it! Utilities are low, and after renting apartments in New York, this feels like a palace! My tiny house was built in 1944, and the kitchen is nice an big. It's well designed, so the rooms don't feel small. (There's a large cutout window between the living room and kitchen.) Lots of natural light and big old fashioned schoolhouse windows. Plus, the yard is almost 7,000 square feet, which is nice for the dogs. (And for me, the gardener!)

o

Well now yogastef, you know you aren't going to get away with not posting photos of your cottage. Tease! :)

o

Yeah, yogastef, now you have me intrigued. Please show pictures.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Smaller Homes Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here