Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
txmarti

Another tiny house

TxMarti
12 years ago

Looks like a storage building, but the twist is that a family of 4 is living there.

Tiny house on Anderson Cooper.

Comments (9)

• Shades_of_idaho
    12 years ago

That is a darling space.

• desertsteph
    12 years ago

they did great building that little space for their family! good for them!

• flgargoyle
    12 years ago

Too bad that that house wouldn't be legal in most areas. In fact, I'd bet it doesn't meet any state building code. Just because a local jurisdiction doesn't have code enforcement doesn't mean it's necessarily legal. I really wish the government would re-think some of these rules so more people could live affordably.

It's hard to picture living in a space that small, especially long-term, but in many parts of the world, that home would be a luxury.

• Shades_of_idaho
    12 years ago

OH Jay I forgot about the building codes and size restrictions. This house would be too small for Midvale. I think 320 SQ FT is as small as you can go here. I could do a house this small fro vacation only I could not sleep in the loft. Too close for me.

• dekeoboe
    12 years ago

They built it on a flat bed trailer. That is one of the points of the tiny house movement. It is not a permanent structure, you can tow it away, therefore you do not have to meet building codes. The size restrictions you have are those that would allow you to tow the house - it can only be so wide to fit on the road and only so high so you don't have a problem with bridges. My brother is in the process of building one.

• schoolhouse_gw
    12 years ago

I've been interested in Tiny Houses for years but am always so surprised at how much they cost already built and to build yourself. However, if you really did the research and hunted for bargains like they did it would be feasible. I would want it as a second home or cottage, not sure I could live in one full time; but definitely would consider it if I had no alternative. Especially since I'd have only myself to worry about.

• yogastef
    12 years ago

I live on my own in a cottage that's 567 square feet. I love it! Utilities are low, and after renting apartments in New York, this feels like a palace! My tiny house was built in 1944, and the kitchen is nice an big. It's well designed, so the rooms don't feel small. (There's a large cutout window between the living room and kitchen.) Lots of natural light and big old fashioned schoolhouse windows. Plus, the yard is almost 7,000 square feet, which is nice for the dogs. (And for me, the gardener!)

• schoolhouse_gw
    12 years ago

Well now yogastef, you know you aren't going to get away with not posting photos of your cottage. Tease! :)

• TxMarti
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Yeah, yogastef, now you have me intrigued. Please show pictures.