Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jessep5227

7 1/2' x 8 1/2' bedroom

jessep5227
10 years ago

I was wondering if anyone has or has had a bedroom this size in there house and if I could get any advice on decorating storage ect, or if anyone has pictures to share with me to get ideas, Not alot will fit in the room I know especially since the bed going into the room is a full sized bed. thanks in advance for any help!

Comments (7)

• Annie Deighnaugh
    10 years ago

Not a lot you can do, esp with a larger bed like that. Maybe think about a captain's bed with storage underneath. If you need a dresser, is there room to fit one in the closet instead of the room? Maybe use a small night stand and get a lamp that hangs on the wall so the surface of the nightstand can remain clear for other things.

• Elraes Miller
    10 years ago

Annie has the best ideas for storage. A tall thin bookcase could work for a side table and add storage. Add a drop down leaf on one of the shelves near the bed. Wall lamps to pull out. This may also be the one time a bed could be acceptable against a wall, if only one person is using the room, to give some additional space. Head and foot boards will take up more space too. A hanging head board would work.

• camlan
    10 years ago

I had a bedroom a tiny bit bigger than this in my first apartment. I think it was 8' x 8.5'.

I had a double bed and one side had to be against a wall because of the position of the door and the closet and the bathroom door (the bathroom was entered through the bedroom). I was able to fit a small nightstand and a dresser in the room, but nothing else. Because I lived alone, I had free use of the rest of the apartment, so I didn't spend much time in the bedroom.

So a question I have for you is, who will be living in this room and how much of the rest of the house will they have access to? Do they need a computer or tv in the bedroom, for example? Will the occupant have to store everything they own in this room or is there space in the rest of the house for some of their things?

If I had to do it over again, I'd get a good closet system in the closet, to maximize every inch of storage space. It might be possible, with the right closet system, to store all clothing in the closet, negating any need for a dresser. Bonus if additional storage space for other things could be created.

An alternative to a nightstand is to mount a small shelf on the wall next to the bed. However, if there is room for a nightstand, it would add extra storage. Traditional nightstands might be too big, but you could Google "telephone table" to find some smaller, yet still tall enough, tables that would work.

A small bookcase would also add storage. And if a tv is wanted/needed, it could either be wall-mounted or go on top of the bookcase. A bed that allows for underbed storage is also a good idea.

Use the vertical space on the walls. You could run a shelf all the way around the room, just above the tops of the doors. I saw a lovely room once where they had put shelves just above the windows. There are also a great many wall-hung organizers that would work, or pegboard.

As for decorating, I think a simple color scheme is best. Too many colors and patterns in a really small space can be overwhelming. I'm linking to a studio apartment I just saw on Apartment Therapy. The main color there is white, but you could switch that out to just about any color that the occupant of the room likes.

Even though this studio is larger than the room you have, you can pull some ideas from it. The use of one color in most of the room to unify everything, the double purpose credenza that is part nightstand and part storage, the wall-mounted shelving and the two tall bookcases that take advantage of the vertical space, the use of open space to add the sense of more room--not cramming every corner with stuff helps to make the room feel larger,.

Here is a link that might be useful: calm studio apartment

• writersblock (9b/10a)
    10 years ago

With a room that tiny, window/door/closet placement really plays a huge role in what you can do. Do you have a sketch of the floorplan?

• kirkhall
    10 years ago

In some areas (my state), that room doesn't qualify as a bedroom... 100 sq ft is a minimum legal size.

Just, wow!

Your options are definitely limited by door placement, windows, ceiling height, etc.

• artemis78
    10 years ago

If it is a guest room (per your other post), do you have to have a full-size bed in there? Will it be used regularly by two visitors? If not, I would get a twin bed, or perhaps a twin with trundle. (IKEA also makes one that converts into a full bed that's kind of cool--we slept on a friend's and it was fine for a few nights staying at someone's house.) That way you can set the room up to be a little less bed, and choose furniture that can be moved to expand the sleeping space if needed. We have a 7' x 9' room in our house, and have played with it as a bedroom from time to time (for a child). It's honestly pretty tight even with a crib or a twin bed instead of a full. With a full, it's really nothing more than a door with a bed behind it.

We found ours worked much better as an office--you can go up the walls with storage, as someone else suggested, and office furniture has a much smaller footprint. So if you're still open to going back to that idea (assuming both are equally useful to you as spaces), I'd reconsider it. Good luck!