Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mandyann_

What to do with ''dining room" - please help!

mandyann_
10 years ago

I've been reading this forum for awhile but this is my first time posting. I'm reaching out to all of you for ideas/helping me decide what to do with a room in my house. The house was built in 1940. It is considered either Minimal Traditional or English Cottage in style. My latest house project has been the 'dining room' (at least, that's what I believe this room was used for when the house was new). One wall was covered with paneling, another wall covered with z-brick, the rest of the walls just painted plaster. I removed the paneling, stripped the wallpaper underneath, and patched the holes/cracks in the plaster (hence the reason for the paneling). Everything has been painted and the project is about complete....but I can't figure out how to use this room. It's small, about 10' x 13', and has a built-in cabinet in one corner. You have to go through it to get to the kitchen from the living room or the hallway/bedroom areas. The door on the north side goes out to the patio, but due to the layout of our property/driveway this door also serves as a front entryway even though it is on the back of the house. Currently I have my piano along one side of the room (next to the built-in), but don't know what to put on the opposite wall. Our galley kitchen has a breakfast nook on one end, which we use for all of our meals (we are a family of 4), but I do like the idea of having a separate dining room table. I've thought about getting one of those drop-side tables that I could push up along the wall and use as a desk/table most of the time, but open up for when we had company (although it may be a tight squeeze). I don't know if that is practical though.

Any suggestions or ideas would be much appreciated....thank you!!

Comments (6)