Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lavender_lass

Finally found the inspiration for my farm kitchen :)

lavender_lass
13 years ago

As some of you know, I've been trying to decide whether to do a work table or island, in our farm kitchen. I started out with wanting a work table, then thought an island might be more practical. I've had a hard time finalizing my design plan, so I can figure out a budget.

Yesterday, I found this picture on the Internet and I finally have my inspiration! This exact table is not available, but I'm going to start looking for something like it, probably 5' to 6' long and 3' to 3.5' deep. While the base doesn't have to be the dark wood, metal or even painted would be fine...I do love that marble top!

So, time to start checking all the antique/second hand stores in the area, until I find 'the one'. I've already decided to have a kind of vintage 1930's cottage style kitchen, with a little french influence...so this is going to be perfect! Here's the picture and my latest plan :)

{{gwi:1435527}}

{{!gwi}}

Comments (11)

• TxMarti
    13 years ago

I like that too, and I've been thinking of the same thing myself. I would like to figure out a way to use my table, raise it to use as an island, and lower it to use as a table. I think it's possible, but haven't quite got it worked out.

• Shades_of_idaho
    13 years ago

that is a fantastic table. Remember Mama-Gose did a great conversion to marble top table. I do not think her table had the fancy bottom like your inspiration picture. My landing table has a pretty leg and bottom. Hehehehehe It is considered a small library table. I sold a HUGE library table when we moved to Idaho. It would not fit on the truck and made a good profit on it. It was 5 1/2 foot and wonderful turned legs and cross piece.

I raised up the desk I used for island with casters and as crazy as it seems it did not travel around like you would think. I miss my island but have a peninsula here so that works and my island serves as another base cabinet.

• Nancy in Mich
    13 years ago

Very nice, LL! I imagine it having honed stone. When you go looking, try asking for a "Library Table." That is what I thought of when I saw your table. Longer than it is wide, maybe twice as long. Ornate edge with a low apron - not a simple edge like a dining table. The apron may make sliding your legs under difficult, so try it out before you buy. The legs with the center support on the long axis is the real feature that screams "library table" to me.

• Nancy in Mich
    13 years ago

Here is one in New York

Here is a link that might be useful: 1st dibs

• Nancy in Mich
    13 years ago

They also have this, if you like French Provincial

Here is a marble, iron, and guilded bronze with semi-precious inlays for $5800

• katrina_ellen
    13 years ago

Nice table. I love furniture with a lot of character.

• desertsteph
    13 years ago

ll = that is one beautiful table! I hope you find one very much like it.

• User
    13 years ago

Pretty pretty. I think the one that MamaGoose had was the honed marble on top? And then she had a low complete shelf across the bottom, which held a lot of big country kitchen objects. I'm fond of tables which also store something. The straight legged library table styles are neat. While the fancy French provincial is nice, it does not say "cottage" to me. More like a desk with a provincial chair and a candelabra or a chandelier over it in some room with nice drapes.

Looking good there, LL.

• Goodponyz
    13 years ago

Hi Lavendar, I love your idea of a work table, and I have a special spot in my heart for all marble topped furniture myself.

You know, if you find a great table base and it is not marble top, check into your local marble/granite/stone center, and see what they can do for you on the cheap. A returned piece, a messed up cut, a remnant, or if the price is right, pick out your own cut, and then place the slab on the table base you found.

I guess my point is you don't have to wait around for the perfect marble topped table to show up in a store! :-) Good Luck!

• everyreggie
    13 years ago

You could try here, give them a call, they have a TON of stuff not online!!

Here is a link that might be useful: Salvage!!

• jddar
    12 years ago

Crate and Barrel has something similar to what you're looking for. It has a metal base with a Carrara marble top and lower shelf. I have seen it in a local store and it is heavy and very well made. They name it "French Kitchen Island" and you can take a look at it on their website.

Here is a link that might be useful: Crate and Barrel

Sponsored
Remodel Repair Construction
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Westerville