Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
reneed2use

suggestions on my floor plan

ReneeD2use
10 years ago

I am about to build a small 1 bedroom house. It will be a second dwelling on the property so sq ft is limited. I wanted to include the things I wanted most a nice master suite and a nice size kitchen. I will later convert the garage into the bonus room it will be the laundry rm, a guest rm, game room and a family room as well as a place for a second bath rm. since every sq inch is at a premium I want it to be very functional. there will be a laundry shoot from the closet into the bonus rm. if you can give my your opinion I would love it...Thanks

Comments (5)

• NashvilleBuild42
    10 years ago

Before I give my thoughts could you provide more information. I think this may color my suggestions.

Will this home be lived in by 1 or 2 people fulltime or only used infrequently? How big are each of the room, including the bonus room? What type of games (pool tables, ping pong tables, airhockey tables take up a LOT of space) How do the intended occupants live? Entertain frequently? Is the sink located outside of the 2nd bathroom door? Will there be window seats in the bump outs? Is that a fireplace in the living room? Will you need a tv? If so where will it go?

But immediately what jumps out to me is the 2nd bathroom and laundry. I'd relocate them onto the shared wall. It allows you to stack all plumbing for the house and conserve costs. It would put the laundry pass thru right next to the laundry facilities rather than across the room from the chute. Or better yet I'd put it in the master closet.

I may have other thoughts, but I'd like more info. Good luck on your project.

• ReneeD2use
    Original Author
    10 years ago

This home will be used by 2 people fulltime both in their 60âÂÂs. The house is 1200 sq. ft. on the interior. The living room/ kitchen side are 27 ft. deep and 21 ft. wide. The Bed room is 17 ft. wide and the same 27 ft. deep including the bathroom. The bonus room is 480 sq. ft. interior. The games are more like board games, like cards and backgammon. Not large games like ping pong or airhocky. We donâÂÂt entertain very often and when we do it is mostly outside barb-que. We have a lot of acreage so there will still be room for that. The water heater is located on the wall that the master-bath rm. is on and the washer /dryer are located next to the bath room in the bonus room. I put the bath room there in case we ever subdivide and add two bedrooms in the back next to that bath room. Also in that bathroom I put the sink outside the shower/ wc area because I will use it as a laundry sink also. Yes there will there be window seats in the bump outs big enough for a twin size bed. Yes it is a gas fireplace in the living room and the TV is above it. There will also be a TV in the bonus room as well. I will try your idea of flipping the bonus room and see how it works out. Thanks for your help and more thought are welcome.

• ReneeD2use
    Original Author
    10 years ago

changes I made to the bonus rm

• camlan
    10 years ago

Is the only eating area at the island in the kitchen?

I'm just wondering if counter-height bar stools are the best for people in their 60s. I'm younger, and maybe it is because I'm short, but getting up onto a bar stool and then trying to move the bar stool close to the table/counter--it just doesn't work for me. So I'm wondering about as this couple gets older--will this be a workable arrangement, or should there be a small dining table included?

• ReneeD2use
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Hi Camlan Thank you for your comment it is a great question. The chairs in question will only be about 5" taller then regular chairs, since it is "counter" height not "bar" height. We currently have bar height chairs now so having chairs even a little lower then that will be fine for us we are not that short. thank you very much I love your question.

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading Kitchen & Bath Remodelers in Franklin County, OH