Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
acadiafun

Progress On My Small Fixer Upper

Acadiafun
10 years ago

Here is our progress of late. The kitchen tile is done except for the trim! DH and friend had to cut through two linoleum floors and subfloors. The landing from the breezeway is done in the same tile.

The kitchen layout is terrible and there is no dining room in the house. You really have to love a house to accept that and we are lucky we do and our kids are grown. I want to use a copper tin backsplash which will be another DIY project. Maybe one day when the house is paid off I will relocate the bathroom which is next to the kitchen to the office and made the bathroom the dining room. Dreams.....

Comments (6)

• Acadiafun
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Le there be light! Now that the electric is all working I added a light kit to the ceiling fan in the living room. I took out the old broken wicker from the fan blades and painted the insert red. I may cover the red with shellac to mute the color a bit.

The living room sectional is being delivered Friday and it is almost twelve feet long. Will not have to fight with the dogs for space on the couch. :)

• Acadiafun
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Doors! My old colonial had heavy wood doors that were painted with 10 coats of paint long before we ever bought the house so I really like the unpainted wood on these doors in this house. DH sanded the doors down, refinished them and just put them back up today.They are not the quality of old colonial doors and I do miss that.

• Acadiafun
    Original Author
    10 years ago

View out my front window. Another snow storm today, when yesterday it was 70 degrees. Saw twelve deer run past my house on their way to the park. I have noticed when these polar vortexes hit they run to the park in a large herd.

• Shades_of_idaho
    10 years ago

Everything is looking so nice. Floors doors. So much work behind you now. Funny about the deer. The ones here also run to our park but there is a rails to trails running through the park so it is a good way out of town.

• TxMarti
    10 years ago

It looks great! What kind of tile in the kitchen? You said no dining room. Does that mean an eat-in kitchen? My in-laws always had an eat in kitchen and I really like them.

• Acadiafun
    Original Author
    10 years ago

The tile is porcelain. The kitchen is laid out poorly so we can fit a small table in there. To fix the layout we would need to relocate a window or a doorway, or relocate the bathroom which would be a major deal. I grew up in a cape with an eat in kitchen and it was great. This kitchen is just as big but it will not be as comfortable which is the biggest con of the house. So much so my DH asked me "You realize the house doesn't have a dining room don't you?" lol

Pros are three bedrooms and bathroom on the first floor, two large bedrooms with half bath upstairs, full basement (dungeon) with toilet and shower downstairs and great lot and location. This is what I remind myself when I think what a PITA the kitchen will be.

Sponsored
Moda Kitchen and Bath
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars20 Reviews
Loudoun County's Custom Kitchen & Bath Designs for Everyday Living