Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hzdeleted_63513

House Plants to reduce home pollution

User
13 years ago

Ok, I'm going to quote from the latest newsletter from Tony Avent of the Plant Delights Nursery, where he mentions research on having house plants to help reduce air pollution in your home. I find it satisfying that this beautiful part of nature also benefits us.

Quoting:

Researchers at the University of Sydney found that six or more plants in a 1500 square foot house could achieve "noteworthy" contaminant reductions. Researchers found that contaminants are reduced both by the leaf stomata (tiny openings on the leaf undersides), as well as by microorganisms in the potting soil. Researchers at the University of Washington found that plants in a computer lab reduced dust by 20%. In 2009, researchers at the University of Georgia identified five "super ornamentals" which showed a very high rate of air contaminant removal. These include Hedera helix (English Ivy), Asparagus sp. (asparagus fern), Setcreasea pallida (purple heart wandering jew), Hemigraphis exotica (waffle plant), and Hoya sp. (wax plant). As if we needed one, we have another great reason to grow plants!

So go get some house plants.

:)

Comments (13)

• flgargoyle
    13 years ago

......of course, no one asked the PLANTS how they feel about this LOL!

Because of the way our current house is laid out, plus the huge roof overhangs, only shade-loving plants can survive in here. Besides, we have a whole yard full of tropical 'houseplants'. Our next house will definitely have some, though. I'm a begonia enthusiast myself. Visit Logee's website to drool over their offerings.

• User
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I've recently read about Logee but never visited it online. Guess I'm in for a treat very soon.

Jay, Plant Delights Nursery is connected to the Jupiter Level Botanical Garden up in NC ....or is it SC.....but I really enjoy reading their plant descriptions. Lot of humor.

• TxMarti
    13 years ago

LOL Jay. I got rid of all my houseplants when dd#2 was diagnosed with severe allergies. I could probably add back and ivy or two, but dh has allergies too, and the soil from plants seems to be the thing that sets him off.

• Nancy in Mich
    13 years ago

Marti, you might try putting little stones on top of the soil to cover the dirt.

I remember reading in the past that spider plants clean the air very well. I have four of them right now, and the one near the window is getting a bit heavy in the baby department. It would be no problem if it weren't that the spider babies are covering up the nice African Violet flowers on the plant on the shelf below it! Anyone need spider plants?

• desertsteph
    13 years ago

i used to have spider plants and wandering jews. hope i can have a few in the new place. they'd bake in the summer in this one.
    will have to figure out just where I can put them!

• desertsteph
    13 years ago

i used to have spider plants and wandering jews. hope i can have a few in the new place. they'd bake in the summer in this one.
    will have to figure out just where I can put them!

• Shades_of_idaho
    13 years ago

Ack I have about gotten shed of my house plants. I would guess I have a dozen or so. Maybe I should try to develop interest in them again I do have a couple in each room but none of the ones you mention.

• User
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Marti, you might find the STAGHORN FERNS okay to try. They do not need soil. They attach to a board, get humidity from the air, and like to live in the bathroom, or so I've found. No bright light, but humidity is good. Just rinse them in the shower sometimes for more watering.

Also, there is tillandsias which are epiphytes like orchids are. You can get a couple of GOOD orchids, which live in a mix of bark and moss or something like that, not the "terrestrial" orchids which require soil, and those are mostly low light things too. But tillandsias which I love, happen to look like something Dr. Zeuss would draw. When I have a chance to take a picture, I'll upload one for you.

Meanwhile, more company from Massachusetts is headed this way. I suppose that cold weather is driving everyone south?
    Ciao for the afternoon.

• Nancy in Mich
    13 years ago

I did not get enough sleep last night, so I spent the day freezing cold. I don't know why that happens, but it does. Friends in the South are useful this time of year! ML, are your crape myrtles in bloom? Azaleas? I always said of my four years in Baton Rouge: the winter makes a good spring, March and April make a good summer,and June through September makes a good sauna!

• TxMarti
    13 years ago

That's about right here too Nancy. We're cold today and Saturday is supposed to be 90. Yuck.

• User
    Original Author
    13 years ago

It thundered and lightened all night, with apparently a lot of rain too. This morning it was in the 60s, and it does feel nice outside. Our guests left after breakfast.

Unlike our travels, they have already been on the road three days, and will continue three more days, slowly dragging feets up to Massachusetts. Since the weather there might bring upwards of 30 inches of SNOW, they are in no hurry. Cannot say I blame them. Today they continue east on I-10 to its terminus in Jacksonville, FL, where they will turn north to visit the lovely southern city of Savannah. Nice feature article about it in Southern Living magazine this month.

To add to Nancy's remarks about good months making for a better following season, their ATTITUDE about travel makes for a good trip. And both of these folks are in their 80s.
    Enjoying life.

• rosesstink
    13 years ago

Every house should have plants. They are good for you and fascinating! Watching them grow and change is wonderful. How fun it is when something like a fern blooms. The flowers aren't bouquet worthy but it's definitely a "Hey! Look at that!" moment.

• User
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Rosesstink, you are so right. I noticed for the first time that my smaller Japanese maple has what appears to be real blooms on it, not the little whirlybirds, but real and very tiny blooms. Never knew they did that.

And if you all are not too busy, take a look at the Spanish moss and look for the strange blooms it has this time of year. Sort of scrawny and brown, but it does bloom. And my asparagus fern does bloom, then makes green round berries that turn red when ripe. Plants are amazing things.

Sponsored
Creating Thoughtful, Livable Spaces For You in Franklin County