Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
nancyinmich

You know your house is big when...

Nancy in Mich
12 years ago

This is a take-off on Lavender Lass's thread on "What's the secret to wanting a smaller home?" It came to me last night. I walked in around 8 pm, after working late and having dinner with a friend. There was a slightly "scorched" or burning smell to the family room. Well, I had to run to the bathroom, then to the bedroom to change my clothes, and I asked DH to check the family room for hot plugs and electronics. While I was on the other side of the house, we were trying to communicate, and were having great difficulty doing so. I would holler at him, he would (from my point of view, of course) mutter something back that I could not hear. He was telling me that he could not hear me. He had the TV on in the family room, too, but in our former (and smaller) house, we would have heard each other anyway.

So that is one sign to me that the house is too big. I can't talk to him from anywhere in the house! Are there ways that you know that the house is big? Another one for me is that I cannot vacuum this this 1675 sq ft house without unplugging the vacuum cleaner and plugging it in again somewhere else. In my 1200 sq ft house, one central plug could get it all.

On the other hand, I am not saying I want to give up my huge master bedroom (16 x 14), the separate living room and family rooms, the half bath, the laundry room... As a matter of fact, I would not mind having a bigger laundry room!

Comments (11)

• TxMarti
    12 years ago

Same thing here, and it doesn't help that dh's hearing is going south and when he is facing the tv, his back is to the rest of the house.

I find myself thinking my house is too big when I have to jog to answer my cell phone. Course that could also be that there is no straight course from our den to our kitchen and turning corners takes up time.

• lavender_lass
    12 years ago

It's time to paint the outside! LOL Every house I've ever lived in seems huge, when it's time to paint :)

I will need to paint some of the trim on the front, after the 'truck incident' but I'm excited about the new porch...which I do NOT have to paint!!!

• desertsteph
    12 years ago

"I cannot vacuum this this 1675 sq ft house without unplugging the vacuum cleaner and plugging it in again somewhere else."

uh-oh. I'm in trouble - lol! I know I'll have to do that. luckily I won't have to vacuum that often - more dust mopping.
    guess I'll buy 2 dust mops and meet in the middle...

• jakabedy
    12 years ago

And I was feeling good that I only plugged in the vacuum twice. . .

Of course my house still has the vintage 1977 central vacuum. It comes on, but doesn't really have suction, so I have never used it.

• chibimimi
    12 years ago

I knew ours was too large when the kids moved out and every cat ended up his/her own bedroom.

• Shades_of_idaho
    12 years ago

LOL it is funny how the small things seem important I also am happy to plug the vaccuum in once and do the whole house carpets. I do have to move the plug on the canister vac though.

LOL At Chibimimi and the cats with their own rooms.

• lavender_lass
    12 years ago

Chibimimi- LOL! My cats would love that! :)

• chibimimi
    12 years ago

Yeah ... we finally solved the problem by getting another cat and now a couple of them have to share.

Of course, they all still sleep with us, but they keep their toys in their bedrooms ... or wherever they darn well please.

• flgargoyle
    12 years ago

You have it backwards- It's the CATS' home, and the humans each have their own room.....

• TxMarti
    12 years ago

LOL at both of you with the cats. But so true. Dh always says he wishes he were my cat so all he would have to do all day was doze in the window and eat.

• User
    12 years ago

Cute that you mention the vacuum cleaner. One thing that irritates me the most is when DH takes the special extension cord I keep with the vacuum cleaner. It lets me do the entire house without changing the plug.

Forget about being able to talk to DH from another room....he is so hard of hearing, I can be right in front of him, and he looks at me like I'm speaking Zwahili. Then when I raise my voice, he is irritated because I'm HOLLERING AT HIM. "Don't yell," he says.

But, for the rest of it, this is a very compact house, he says 1000 sq feet.

Sponsored
J.S. Brown & Co.
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars77 Reviews
Columbus Leading Full Service Design Build Firm