Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
66and76

friends with small vacation cottages

66and76
11 years ago

I saw this article on Houzz.com today. Four couples decided to build small vacation cottages on jointly owned property. Only one cottage is shown. (In that cottage, I think the owners should move the kitchen to the front of the structure; it's not a good idea to prepare food in the bathroom. IMO)

What do you think about the overall concept of owning small homes on jointly owned property?

https://www.houzz.com/magazine/houzz-tour-the-riverside-vacation-cabins-that-friendship-built-stsetivw-vs~7800013_source=Houzz&utm_campaign=u242&utm_medium=email&utm_content=gallery2

And, what are your thoughts on the cottage in the Houzz article?

Comments (7)

• jakabedy
    11 years ago

I love the idea. I really do. But I can't envision it working for me. I don't really have close friends that I have been with for decades, so maybe I don't have the right mindset (or skillset!) for it.

As for the cabins, I think I would be fine with something like that as a weekend place. But the small size limits it to just the one couple -- what if you want to spend the weekend with folks who aren't in the group of owners? Do you ask to borrow someone else's cabin? And I think I'd want more of a real kitchen.

Here is a link that might be useful: [Link to the Houzz article[(https://www.houzz.com/magazine/houzz-tour-the-riverside-vacation-cabins-that-friendship-built-stsetivw-vs~7800013?utm_source=Houzz&utm_campaign=u242&utm_medium=email&utm_content=gallery2)

• schoolhouse_gw
    11 years ago

For $40,000 I envision something a little more "cottagey". Those plywood walls have little appeal to me. And I agree, the mini kitchen in the bathroom? no.

• Houseofsticks
    11 years ago

If I did this I would have one larger cooking/ living cabin and the rest bedroom and bathroom cabins. I would never design the kitchen/ bath together, yuck. I always liked the idea of a communal area for meals/socializing but a private cabin to retire to. I like his idea for it's affordability and friendship fun:)

• EATREALFOOD
    11 years ago

It's a beautiful location so why does it need to look like a sardine can on the outside ?
    agree with schoolhouse--more cottage look
    agree with house--"a communal area for meals/socializing but a private cabin to retireto. I like his idea for it's affordability and friendship fun".
    Fridge and hot plate in the bathroom ? I'd want a kitchen even if it's in a corner. What can I say, I like my little comforts...

• TxMarti
    11 years ago

I like the concept, but those are really ugly cabins. I too would like them to look more like cottages, and the hot plate in the bathroom totally grosses me out.

• neesie
    11 years ago

I thought the cabins were butt-ugly too.

My family inherited my grandparents one bedroom lake cottage. Although I'm unsure of the dimensions I can tell you it has a small knotty pine kitchen (with a big sink) larger eating area served by a large round table and ample living room. The one bedroom is barely large enough for the bed and dresser and there is a 4 searson porch that runs along the whole front. We have a double bed on the porch and also a collapsable six foot table. We frequently have guests that drive up for the day (we're only an hour away from the city). Sometimes people come in their RV's and we share meals in the cabin or play cards etc. When I was a kid all 9 of us grandchildren used to sleep in sleeping bags on the living room floor! It still looks like Grandpa and Grandma's cabin, and yes, we have a small indoor bathroom (added when I was about 7 years old!)

• TxMarti
    11 years ago

Similar but different. I found these porch houses on houzz. Lake Flato

Sponsored
2 Navy Lane, LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars18 Reviews
Loudoun County's Leading Interior Designer