Return to the Smaller Homes Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
friends with small vacation cottages

Posted by pinkpaula (My Page) on
Wed, Mar 6, 13 at 14:19

I saw this article on Houzz.com today. Four couples decided to build small vacation cottages on jointly owned property. Only one cottage is shown. (In that cottage, I think the owners should move the kitchen to the front of the structure; it's not a good idea to prepare food in the bathroom. IMO)

What do you think about the overall concept of owning small homes on jointly owned property?

http://www.houzz.com/ideabooks/7800013/list?utm_source=Houzz&utm_campaign=u242&utm_medium=email&utm_content=gallery2

And, what are your thoughts on the cottage in the Houzz article?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: friends with small vacation cottages

I love the idea. I really do. But I can't envision it working for me. I don't really have close friends that I have been with for decades, so maybe I don't have the right mindset (or skillset!) for it.

As for the cabins, I think I would be fine with something like that as a weekend place. But the small size limits it to just the one couple -- what if you want to spend the weekend with folks who aren't in the group of owners? Do you ask to borrow someone else's cabin? And I think I'd want more of a real kitchen.

Here is a link that might be useful: Link to the Houzz article

o

For $40,000 I envision something a little more "cottagey". Those plywood walls have little appeal to me. And I agree, the mini kitchen in the bathroom? no.

o

If I did this I would have one larger cooking/ living cabin and the rest bedroom and bathroom cabins. I would never design the kitchen/ bath together, yuck. I always liked the idea of a communal area for meals/socializing but a private cabin to retire to. I like his idea for it's affordability and friendship fun:)

o

It's a beautiful location so why does it need to look like a sardine can on the outside ?
agree with schoolhouse--more cottage look
agree with house--"a communal area for meals/socializing but a private cabin to retireto. I like his idea for it's affordability and friendship fun".
Fridge and hot plate in the bathroom ? I'd want a kitchen even if it's in a corner. What can I say, I like my little comforts...

o

I like the concept, but those are really ugly cabins. I too would like them to look more like cottages, and the hot plate in the bathroom totally grosses me out.

o

I thought the cabins were butt-ugly too.

My family inherited my grandparents one bedroom lake cottage. Although I'm unsure of the dimensions I can tell you it has a small knotty pine kitchen (with a big sink) larger eating area served by a large round table and ample living room. The one bedroom is barely large enough for the bed and dresser and there is a 4 searson porch that runs along the whole front. We have a double bed on the porch and also a collapsable six foot table. We frequently have guests that drive up for the day (we're only an hour away from the city). Sometimes people come in their RV's and we share meals in the cabin or play cards etc. When I was a kid all 9 of us grandchildren used to sleep in sleeping bags on the living room floor! It still looks like Grandpa and Grandma's cabin, and yes, we have a small indoor bathroom (added when I was about 7 years old!)

o

Similar but different. I found these porch houses on houzz. Lake Flato

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Smaller Homes Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here