Return to the Smaller Homes Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
input on LR in small home remodel

Posted by prospect711 (My Page) on
Sun, Mar 3, 13 at 14:09

Looking for ideas on how to arrange the LR/media room.

We've remodelled the kitchen and main bath in our small house. Now we are moving on to the rest of the house. I've included a layout for the whole upper floor of the house (including a revised LR plan).

Current LR futurniture is a hodgepodge and will probably be replaced. There are only two of us (DH and I), kids are grown, my mom visits frequently. we plan to replace the cruddy old carpet with wood (either hardwood or engineered wood), replace the giant projection TV with a flat panel, and put in sectional seating. (The projection TV and old sofa will probably go to the basement which has a rec room that is currently used as a storage area stuff that has to be moved due to remodelling).
We'd like for the room to be comfortable for TV,reading, and socializing. Please help!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: input on LR in small home remodel

What is the piece of furniture that is on the wall shared with the kitchen? I can't tell if it is a chair or a table.

Is the front door the entrance you use the most? If it is, since it opens directly into the living room, I'd try to create the sense of an entry way there. A console table for the key bowl, the mail and the other stuff you drop off as you enter the house. Maybe a place to hang coats and stash gloves and hats. A mirror for checking your appearance before leaving the house.

If you want to read in the LR, then you need good task lighting, either table lamps or floor lamps. I'd also want a table for a mug of tea and the books.

I think you would have more furniture placement options if you swing the sectional around 90 degrees so that one arm of it faces the windows and the back of that side faces the kitchen wall. That would help to create a "hallway" behind it, and allow you to add in a chair or two to the living room. You could move it closer to the TV and create a reading or game area behind it, or leave it pretty much where it is and and a chair and end table along the window wall.

o
RE: input on LR in small home remodel

The house is a raised ranch with the garage underneath. We primarily come and go through that entrance.
I agree that there should be a small hall tree or table near the front door. (That's what the mysterious piece of furniture is supposed to be). We use the hall closet for our coats/hats/gloves but it would be nice to have a place for guests things.
i'll try turning the sectional like you suggest and see how it looks.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Smaller Homes Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here