Return to the Smaller Homes Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Zeroing in on exterior colors

Posted by flgargoyle (My Page) on
Sat, Mar 23, 13 at 13:44

Although I'm a long way off from painting our house, I do need to decide on colors now. I'm completely finishing the gable over the garage roof so I don't have to go back up there once the slippery tin is installed.

We think we're set on the main color, Behr Dried Basil. I tried a couple trim colors on my little shed. On the right is Lemon Drop; on the left is Hummus. It's interesting how the Lemon Drop brings out the green in the main color, while the Hummus makes it look more gray. The red is a potential for the front door and windows.

I'm posting a pic of the house as it is now, a Sketch-Up rendering, and two pics of the shed, one in the sun, one on a rainy day. The house sits in the woods. The tin roof looks silver, white, or blue, depending upon the light conditions.

We're just not sure if we're there yet. We want color without looking like clowns live there. We want it to harmonize with the woods, but not disappear. We've considered a dark trim, or a darker main color with yellow trim. I looked at more trim colors today, including a yellow with less green in it. Decisions, decisions! Any thoughts?

photo 012-1.jpg

photo green4.jpg

photo 012-3.jpg

photo 001.jpg

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Zeroing in on exterior colors

I love one of the exterior pics in this thread:
It's the 3rd pic. I know I have more of this rendition of green/ cream/ red. I really like them together.

Here is a link that might be useful: Parsonse color thread

o

I like both the red and the green as base colors, and I like the yellowy color you've painted the trim on the shed samples. I don't think it will look like clowns live there (!) and it is an adorable house!

o

Almost everybody likes the green, but the trim seems controversial. I visited a Sherwin Williams store to ask the experts. They liked the green- even more than anything they had, but recommended a tan color for the trim, with the red accents. Here's a picture with the tan trim. Now I'm even more undecided!

photo 001-1.jpg

o

There is nothing wrong with that tan, and it is a 'safer' choice if the red is going to be used. Something about red and yellow, even when it's not too yellow, can be jarring. But I didn't think your yellow was bright enough to create that problem--it might depend on the weather.

o

I like the green, but maybe a bit darker. I just put "silver metal roof" in the search box at houzz and came up with a lot of pretty options. My favorite is this one:

I think the building in the back is a lighter green than the one in front. I like it best. Seems to really fit into the wooded area.

o

Jay, I love your gray-green. It is not so green that it will "clash" with any of the greens of the living vegetation around your home. It looks fine with the yellow trim, but I think I like the light tan trim more. Leafy is probably right about the tan used with the red on the door and windows looking better than the yellow. I really like your idea of tying the house and barn together by using the red on the door and windows. It will look warm, welcoming and a little whimsical!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Smaller Homes Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here