Return to the Smaller Homes Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
The holiday

Posted by emagineer (My Page) on
Sun, Mar 18, 07 at 13:35

I just watched The Holiday...a feel good movie. They had the most enchanting cottage in it. I had to rewatch more than a few scenes to see all the details inside.

It amazes me how they can stuff so much stuff in a little space and look wonderful. Furniture was pushed up next to other pieces, full bookshelves surrounded the rooms and there were stacks of wonderful "things" on tables, mantle, etc. I know this is a "set", but still, the small comfy corners and fabrics/colors used made it all wonderful.

And, I want that house. Or at least be able to do some of the things done in the rooms.

Part of my fascination with the cottage is so much of current decorating seems to lean towards minimulist. And we keep sharing how to get rid of things. This little cottage definitely didn't fall in either aspect.

Has anyone seen this movie and do you have rooms decorated like the cottage? If you have...what does it take to do this without all looking cluttered?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: The holiday

I'm not familiar with that movie. Is it on TV or at the theater? I would love to see the cottage as it sounds so comfy,

I struggle with the need for clean surfaces, but I love the look of "small comfy corners".

Angie

o

Movie is on DVD for rental/buy. It was in the movies during Christmas. Not an Oscar winner, but a fun love story about 4 people who meet between the US and England. It was a nice diversion.

o

Oh, I loved that cottage too. And I loved the movie. I am having bookcases built into my den. Everyone tells me to decorate the shelves. But to me bookshelves are for books, so they'll be crammed with all my favorites. The cottage was small and she had alot of stuff. It didn't look cluttered. It looked lived in.

o

I agree with the above poster. There's a difference between "clutter" and "signs of life," IMO.

I love small homes but I'm not a minimalist by any means! I'm trying not to "pack rat" as much as I've done all my life, but I do want things around me that bring me joy and comfort and inspiration.

Lara

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Smaller Homes Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here