Return to the Smaller Homes Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Kitchen design from the 1950's or so

Posted by desertsteph (My Page) on
Wed, Mar 10, 10 at 1:16

this was posted over on the k itchen forum. posting the link here in case any here don't go over there.

it's a great video of k itchen design from back then!

Here is a link that might be useful: video

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Kitchen design from the 1950's or so

Interesting website- thanks! I never heard of steel kitchen cab'nets before- I wonder how wide-spread their usage was? I see they are making them again- pretty spendy, I bet!

o

There is a site specifically for houses made of steel during the 1950s. And they restore all the metal to it's original design. They were modular and still stand as once was. Very modern, but at the time affordable and were small. I can't remember the architect or the site right now.

Here is a link that might be useful: mid century steel kitchens

o
RE: Kitchen design from the 1950's or so link

Here is a link with tons of photos and information about "Lustrom" homes which were built entirely of metal. A curiosity on my part, not sure if I could live in one.

Here is a link that might be useful: Lustrom

o

we lived in a house when i was little (a duplex/side by side) that was made of metal. we called it 'Tin Village'. i think they were old army barracks tho.

I remember metal cabs in several houses growing up.

did you notice how many drawers were in that k*tchen - way back then?

o

I don't know how common they were but I had a friend when I was a kid who had them in her house. Our house was built in 1955 and her house was older. It was built in the "duck & cover" era and even had a fallout shelter in the basement. She also had the only basement I'd ever seen when I was a kid. I didn't care for the metal cabinets back then. They were noisy when we bumped against them and her mother always knew when we were in the k itchen. lol I did like that built in drainboard. That was also in a time before dishwashers were common and those drainboards were huge.

o

I remember in the 50's having a cellar... to go to in case the air raid siren went off other than it's scheduled test time. we were always on alert for that... mom kept some canned goods down there. otherwise, it wasn't a place you wanted to go...more like a stand up in size crawl space. ick.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Smaller Homes Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here