Return to the Smaller Homes Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Trending larger homes consume more energy

Posted by moccasinlanding (My Page) on
Fri, Feb 15, 13 at 22:35

Yeah, that is a no-brainer. But the issue today of LifeEdited has a neat chart comparing utility consumption of smaller/larger homes ..... and also according to the time the home was built, and the section of the country.

I'm quoting only one paragraph for your benefit. BE PROUD, small homers!

quote:
We don’t often talk a lot about the environmental implications of an edited life. We believe the benefits of living with less, but better is its own reward. But, obvious as it sounds, smaller homes are greener.

Granted, there might have been a significant reduction in efficiency in smaller homes in the 2000s, but we suspect that many of the efficiency measures applied to larger homes were also applied to small ones. We don’t think it’s too conjectural to say that if the homes of the 2000s hadn’t grown so much, the more efficient appliances and better insulation, now applied to huge houses with high ceilings, would be applied to more modest homes with modest energy footprints and cheaper operating costs.
Via Lloyd Alter at Treehugger

end quote

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Trending larger homes consume more energy

Hi Moccasinlanding, couldn't agree with this more! Both of my sons live in Mcmansions, and I could live easily on just what they pay for air conditioning in Texas in summer. We have updated our little 70's house with better windows, that has helped a bunch, probably should do something about the insulation but haven't gotten to that yet.

Did you get the email I sent you a few weeks ago? How is your kitchen coming along?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Smaller Homes Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here