Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
flgargoyle

Kitchen stuff

flgargoyle
14 years ago

I know I said in another thread that I would post some pictures of our kitchen collectibles, so here it is. The pics aren't the best; I took them with my wife's little snapshot camera rather than the DSLR, but you get the idea. First up is our Hoosier cabinet, and the tall, narrow little cabinet that I rescued off the heap, and we painted it cream and green to match the kitchen utensils of the 30's. Note the canisters on top of it- they are 30's vintage as well.

Next is a very early pie safe with tin panels. The dolls were my mother's in the 1930's- Mortimer Snerd and Fanny Brice.

Here's our kitchen table, which we hauled from Maine on the roof of a Toyota Corolla some 30 years ago. Under countless coats of paint, it turned out to be walnut! It can open up to 9 FEET of leaves.

Here's a little jelly cupboard with screening instead of tin panels.

You may have noticed a few clocks; I collect them, and have about 40 in all. This is the flagship, a Luman Watson, c 1790. It has all wooden gears, and keeps surprisingly good time, although I don't run it anymore, for fear of wearing it out. Someday I may put a newer movement in it, and put the original in a display case or something. The middle finial is missing, as it won't quite fit under our 8' ceilings. I have it put away for our next house, which will have taller ceilings!

I have lots more stuff; you can see why it will be hard to down-size! Thanks for looking at our old 'junk'!

Jay

Comments (23)

• Shades_of_idaho
    14 years ago

Drooling all over your beautiful pieces!!! I just saw a small tall cabinet today like your cream and green one only it was new and just plain wood. I wanted it so badly and had visions of the cream and green. Something would have to go if I get it. My hubby would have a fit. Heheheh

Your little screen pie safe is sort of like the one we have. I use it for books now but it has had many other uses in our house.

Your clocks are to die for. So wonderful. And you think your things are junk. NO WAY!!! My stuff is REAL junk

I really do not know how you will ever be able to decide what needs to go. You have the works for a non fitted kitchen.Maybe use some of your things in your bath instead of buying or building linen. And do consider stacking things. I have a glass cabinet stacked on top of my pie safe as one piece. Two things one foot print.

And your little kitty looks so polite sitting so prim and proper. :^)

Chris

• idie2live
    14 years ago

Oh yeah! You're gonna have lost of trouble trying to decide what to keep and what to get rid of. But I love that jelly cabinet. You can always stop by my house on your way up and drop it off. I'll be happy to 'store' it for you - longterm!

--we hauled from Maine on the roof of a Toyota Corolla --
    Only a young person has that much faith in things going right!

• TxMarti
    14 years ago

Oh Jay, I don't think I could give anything up! I would love to have a small table that would expand to 9'. Love your clocks too. The grandfather reminds me of one in an office where I once worked. It was my job to "wind" it every Monday, which meant pulling a chain from top to bottom, no key.

• flgargoyle
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Mine winds by pulling up the weights, too. It looks like there are keys to wind it, but those are painted on! Key wind clocks were more expensive, so this gave the illusion of a more expensive clock.

• User
    14 years ago

For heaven sake, don't get rid of the table!!!
    What a jewel!

• Shades_of_idaho
    14 years ago

flgargoyle,

Was thinking about your jelly cabinets. Do you happen to know the difference between Jelly Cabinet and Pie safe? I know the one I have for sure is a jelly cabinet as it still has the marks of the jars on the shelves. I wonder in my uneducated mind on this if the screen door cabinet I have is a pie safe?

I REALLY like the front of your screened cabinet. The smaller screened areas are very nice. I think you MUST build a bigger house. Your things are so wonderful.

Chris

• trancegemini_wa
    14 years ago

I love the pie safe and the jelly cabinet. what a dilemma! If you werent moving to another state I'd say keep everything until you move in and then decide.

• prairie-girl
    14 years ago

Absolutely gorgeous pieces! I can sure understand why it's going to be so hard to choose. I love the previous idea of using some of them in an unfitted kitchen. :)
    ~Missy

• flgargoyle
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Rest assured that none of the antiques pictured will be left behind! But that's just the tip of the iceberg. We have lots of old trunks, 4 dressers and a cedar chest in the bedroom, etc, etc. With a full basement, and a 16 X 28 great room in the barn, there will be room for the antiques. What we need to weed out is the every day stuff- modern furniture, clothes, books, dishes, etc. Most of this stuff has come from auctions, yard sales, and flea markets. If it isn't a bargain, we don't buy it.

• Shades_of_idaho
    14 years ago

flgargoyl, I am finding it easier as I go along to purge things I do not use. The start was the hard part. Already working on filling the second fairly large box from a kitchen that has already been sorted through many many times. There will come a point you really do not even want the stuff so do not give up just start small. One drawer one little space. LOL Says she that is trying to figure where to fit the small shelf that needs to be moved for the new bathroom window.

Chris

• User
    14 years ago

Just shake shake shake, and somehow all these thing will find a space. But once they are stowed, the real test will be in finding them AND BEING ABLE TO USE THEM NEXT TIME.

One of my new year resolutions was to stop PRE BUYING for projects down the road. I.E.: projects I was not actively involved in. My track record proves that I can change my mind and be more realistic if I wait a while. Then I won't have a collection of unused but perfectly good supplies.

I do not have the problem, enviable though it be, that FlGargoyle has. Too much of a GOOD THING.
    :)

• Shades_of_idaho
    14 years ago

Dang my problem is I do NOT even have GOOD stuff. I am protecting the JUNK furniture. This is almost sad. I can say maybe four things in our house would be considered nice antiques. The rest is just junk I love and can not part with.

I am such a dork.

Chris

• ronbre
    14 years ago

it looks like a very warm and fun home

• idie2live
    14 years ago

Jay, what is the long handled object hanging on the wall beside the hoosier?

• Shades_of_idaho
    14 years ago

Oh Loretta you just are not old enough to know. I will let Jay tell you. Initials of the item in question are RB.

I am adoring that cream and green cabinet. Jay you are inspiring me to shape up and get shed of something to be able to get a nice cabinet like that in this house. Either that or paint one of my cabinets that nice cream and green to go with the Hoosier.
    Chris

• idie2live
    14 years ago

RB? I'm clueless {{!gwi}}

• ronbre
    14 years ago

rug beaters?

• idie2live
    14 years ago

Oh my! We always beat the rug with a broom (still do)!

• flgargoyle
    Original Author
    14 years ago

That's right- it's a rug beater. One of my favorite little tools is the spatula on the upper right. When you squeeze the handle, it flips 180 degrees just as smoothly as can be! I never have tried it on real food, though.

I think the thing I like most about antiques is that they are pieces of history. Not world history, but personal history. Who bought it new? Where has it been since? Our tall case clock was made c. 1790 in Cincinnati, OH. Luman Watson moved to the frontier because there was too much competition in CT. Fast forward 140 years, and it wound up in a Tampa FL antique store, which was shut down in 1930 when the husband died. 50 years later, the little old lady was in frail health, and decided to auction everything off. Where was it for 140 years? I would guess a family in OH bought it, and used it for generations. Maybe they retired to FL, and decided the clock was no longer wanted/needed. Maybe a 'picker' found it in OH and brought it to FL.

I love old clocks because they were the most technologically advanced item in a common home. Mine will hold within 30 seconds over the course of a week! Considering the conditions most people lived in in those days, that's very high-tech indeed.

• anrsaz
    14 years ago

Does your cat know you called him "old junk"? LOL!
    I like some of that old junk! It has history and character. Nothing does anymore. Everything is store-bought living rooms and kitchens without any touch of warmth. I like it. Even the old junk cat!

• mama goose_gw zn6OH
    14 years ago

Hi, flgargoyle, shades-of-idaho suggested that I check your pictures, because I admired her antiques. I love your cabinets, pie safe, and all of your collections. I don't have room in my kitchen for an island, so I keep a drop-leaf table there. My husband built a shelf in it for storage--it's very convenient.

PS--send that tall clock back home to Ohio!!

• flgargoyle
    Original Author
    13 years ago

The clock will be half-way back some day- we're planning to build in SC starting next year!

We have LOTS more stuff; it will be interesting trying to decide where to put it all in a smaller house.

• Greg Black
    8 years ago

Jay: If you email me, I'll give you more history on your tall case clock. I'm currently researching the cabinetmaker/clock peddler. Greg gcblack62@yahoo.com

Sponsored
Remodel Repair Construction
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Westerville