Return to the Smaller Homes Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Picture a small house...The saga continues

Posted by MushCreek (My Page) on
Sat, Feb 22, 14 at 18:15

It's been a long time since I've posted pics on our house build, and the old thread was full, so here is the continuation. If you haven't seen it, here is the first thread.

http://ths.gardenweb.com/forums/load/smallerhomes/msg0515015511080.html?10

The drywall is up, and the first round of taping and mudding is done.

Here is a shot looking in the front door, through the foyer to the living room:

photo 104.jpg

The living room:

photo 105.jpg

The back of the house from the living room, through the dining room to the kitchen:

photo 106.jpg

The kitchen. The sink goes under the big window on the left; the range is between the two smaller windows. The prep sink and fridge will be on the right:

photo 107.jpg

The basement stairwell. You can see the angled window returns I designed to lessen the tunnel effect of the thick ICF walls.

photo 103.jpg

The master shower opening:

photo 110.jpg

It sure makes a difference getting the walls done! FIY- the ceilings are 9' 6" throughout, and the tops of the windows are 8'.

Here is a link that might be useful: First house thread

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Picture a small house...The saga continues

This is getting even more exciting! Congrats to you Mushcreek. It looks great so far. You've done alot of work and you should be proud.

o

Thanks for the update.

o

I can just picture the finished kitchen! All those windows are wonderful...and the detail on the last window is so nice :)

o

Mush- great light! You must be so excited now that it is easy to envision the final house. Can't wait to see more!

o

Very impressive Jay! Whatever are you going to do with your time when you finish the house?

o

Wow, how exciting to see progress on your house! You've done a great job.

FlowerLady

o

Jay, your angled window returns are so smart. They bounce the light all over the room instead of directing it in straight lines as the tunnel-effect window returns would. Now you can't be hanging curtains on the sides and losing that nice effect! It is so nice to see your progress, thanks for the tour.

o

Luckily, we're out in the woods, so there is no need for curtains.

Not much to show lately; I have been working on the HVAC system. Now that the weather has finally improved, I'll be finishing up the outside.

o

Looks wonderful. Those window returns are lovely. Great idea. Your kitchen is going to be a joy to work in. The shower arch is also really nice. So many personal touches.

o

Jay, I saw windows framed in at those angles in an old farmhouse/villa in Italy. That makes those walls give up more light to the interior.

So glad to keep abreast of your progress. It is really a house now, not a dream on paper.

o

Desertsteph reminded me that I hadn't posted here in a while. Not much new that you can see; we had a rough winter, so I concentrated on working behind the scenes. Now that the weather is nice, I'm working on the exterior again.

Since my last post, I finished up the attic in preparation for the insulation, which will be coming soon. I spent a lot of time sealing every little gap and crack to prevent air infiltration. Not glamorous, but worth it in the long run. The HVAC units have been installed and are up and running. These are 'mini-splits', or ductless heat pumps. They are incredibly efficient and quiet, both inside and out. The interior wall units aren't all that pretty, but after a while you don't really 'see' them. All of the electrical work is complete and tested other than hanging some ceiling fans and decorative light fixtures.

I finished the stucco on the lower level, and the stone work on my Craftsman columns out front. The rest of the column will be the typical square, fat, tapered Craftsman column. In the back, I set up posts for the deck, and footings for the outer posts. I'll be putting the deck on soon, as it will give me a comfortable work platform for putting up siding.

Here's the front porch siding starting to go up. I'm painting one coat prior to hanging the siding, and I'll do another coat once it's up. The trim has been painted, and the windows themselves will be a dark red, as well as the front door.

photo 005-8.jpg

The stone columns:

photo 002-4.jpg

photo 004-6.jpg

The heat pumps, inside and out. I mounted them up off of the ground to keep them free of dirt/grass/leaves/snow, and it makes them easier to service.

photo 002-6.jpg

photo 004-8.jpg

The back of the house, showing the posts and footings for the raised deck. It will be the same height as the main floor.

photo 003-3.jpg

On another note, these are my kitchen drawer pulls. They are off of printer's trays, and I had to find 34 of them! Scavenged off of ebay:

photo hamiltonpull.jpg

o

Wow! You've been busy :)

Everything looks great! I love your 'pulls'. It's so nice to see your plan come to life.

o

Jay your front porch posts are really nice.

The heat pump I think is the same as we have here.
Mitsubishi is our brand name and it is so nice and quiet. You barely know it is on until it runs through whatever it does just once in awhile and even that does not bother us. The air conditioner part works well too. We have a single head mounted in the master bedroom and it heats the whole house. It cut our electric bill to 1/3 of what it was. So happy for that. It is also user friendly. We also mounted our out side part up high but it is over 6 foot high to be totally out of the head bashing way. LOL

o

those pillars are looking great! did you do the stonework on them?
I don't think the ac unit on the wall look bad either. you most likely will never notice them.
love the door transom too. wish I had those over my doors.
The stuff you've been doing may not stand out but it's stuff that needs done. Then you can move on to things that are more visible.

It's gonna be a wonderful home for the 2 of you. Is your wife up there with you yet?

o

I admire the stone pillars, too and love your choice of windows and the wood moldings you have around them. Is there a connection with printing that made you choose the drawer pulls? Or did you just like the looks of them? They have heft and interesting details and make me eager to see the cabinets that they will go on.

Things are coming together. With walls in place, move-in can't be too far away now. Will you and Mrs. Jay be moving up from the basement one room at a time as things get done? Or will all the painting get done, then all the flooring, then the kitchen and so on and you end up with a big move-in date where you bring in all of the furniture at once?

o

I was thinking the pulls were a nice touch too.
Actually, they are the original things, not copies or reproductions, very "Restoration Hardware" looking. Whatever you paid for them, they have the appearance and attitude of quality. Not putting down new manufacture, but you have the real thing, Jay.

The posts out front, you must have put those together yourself. It seems each stone was placed perfectly. Which one did you build first? Can YOU tell the difference in the first and the last one? Or did you practice on something less important. Those bases for the posts set the tone for the quality of the Craftsman ethic. You are building your own true Craftsman.

Have you posted pictures of living in the polebarn this last winter? Isn't that what you said you thought would happen? If you did, I sure admire your wife for dealing with living there, or being on her own over such a hard winter.

Thanks for all those very good photos of the building process.

o

Truth in advertising- I didn't do the stone work, although getting the mason to do what I wanted, versus what HE wanted was a full-time job! Since we sold our house in FL, we're more inclined to hire out some of the work to speed things along. He did nice work, but grumbled about the small stones the whole time. He wanted to do nice easy TN flat stone, which would be all wrong on an authentic Craftsman. He also thought the columns were too wide, and too tall. I've photographed enough of the 'real thing' to know what's required.

I have no connection with the printing industry; I just happened upon some one day and thought it would be a unique touch. I paid an average of about $6 to $7 a piece; no more than a quality new pull would be. Some are painted; some aren't, so I'm going to try a finish technique I learned from a Czech blacksmith. I'll post pics when they're done (unless they don't come out too good LOL).

My wife is here full time, and we camped in the basement all winter. Outdoor temps got down to 3 degrees F., but the basement stayed in the 50's with a space heater. With the HVAC up and running, we are upstairs, but still in camping mode until we get a Certificate of Occupancy.

o

I'm always so excited to see your update posts.

The columns - love them. Good for you for sticking to your guns, I find that SO hard to do and end up sometimes nearly in tears after giving in to the contractor's whining.

You should be proud of what you have accomplished.

o

Schoolhouse, I feel as you do, but my opinion is they always give women a hard time. Make us feel our wishes are exhorbitant and unrealistic. That is one reason I'm so far behind in my remodel plans. It's taken a long time getting my wishes down on paper.

Good for Jay. He knows how to deal with another man.

o

' you must have put those together yourself. It seems each stone was placed perfectly.'

that was my thinking. but good for keeping on the guy to get what you wanted.

o

Yes indeed, keep after what you want. Now, the guy knows what a real Craftsman pillar looks like. How else was he to learn.

o

Well done!

Schoolhouse- I find that if you just stare the contractor down...they'll usually do what you want. Of course, I'm tall, so I stand a little on my tip toes, when I do this...and that seems to help.

In fact, I pretty much do the same thing, when I tell the horses to behave. Hmmm...... LOL

o

Lass, when I had the garden folly built I told "John" that I wanted floor boards to run length-wise, not straight across. I just happened to go out as he was beginning to saw the first board - he was ready to cut them short (to go cross-ways). I reminded him about what I told him in the beginning. He said I didn't say that. I said yes I did. He began to throw all the boards back on the truck, literally. I asked him what was he doing. "Well I have to go buy longer boards now!". pout pout. ugh.

Sorry, didn't mean to hijack your thread MushCreek.

o

Wow! Everything looks great! I really love those windows. They remind me of the windows and doors in one of my aunts houses.
The stonework is simply amazing. It is so good to see your ideas take shape.

o

I was a bit under the weather Friday, so I stayed indoors and fixed up a couple of the antique light fixtures I've been collecting. The ceiling fixture originally had the bulbs pointing down, but I wanted them pointing up, and the sockets and wiring were shot anyway. I mounted new sockets, and covered the bottom holes with cabinet knob back plates. The bulbs are LED, so the whole fixture only draws 15 watts. It hangs in the foyer. I have the middle pendant, but I need to repair it.

The wall sconce is one of a pair I bought. The electrics had been removed, and someone was using them with real candles. I put in new candelabra sockets, and wired them up. They need smaller bulbs, though.

I also have two pairs of porcelain sconces for the bathrooms that need refurbishing. The best part is that I've been finding the 'real thing' for far less than the cost of reproduction ones. The LED bulbs cost more than the ceiling fixture did!

photo 010-4.jpg

photo 016-5.jpg

photo 012-4.jpg

o

They look wonderful Jay. I never would have known the lights were supposed to point down the way you hid that hole. The fixtures are really beautiful.

Seriously considering the investment for the LED bulbs here..

o

Wow, you've been amazingly lucky. Around here fixtures like that would go straight to ebay at $$$$$$. It all looks great.

o

Actually, I got them on ebay. $60 for the ceiling fixture; $50 for the pair of sconces. I search under a lot of different terms on ebay; some sellers don't use the right terminology. Any fixture that needs work, even if it's just re-wiring will go much cheaper than ones that are in operating condition. I spent about $25 in parts (other than the LED bulbs), and spent less than an hour on the ceiling fixture.

I paid $45 for a pair of vintage porcelain wall sconces for the bathroom, while reproduction ones are $160 EACH!

o

Wow, you did amazingly well. Congrats!

o

whoa - those fixtures are awesome!!!!

o

I guess I'm due for another update! I just about have the outside finished. It's been tough with wet weather on and off. On the rainy days, I work inside. I put up all of the ceiling fans, and a tin ceiling in the kitchen. The master bath is about ready for tile.

First up are the ceiling fans. We love them, so we spend a lot of time picking them out. In order, here is an original 1906 Westinghouse in the living room, a Hunter we bought years ago in the dining room, and a new one from Modern Fan Co., which was bought to complement the tin ceiling.

photo 005-9.jpg

photo 007-3.jpg

photo 006-6.jpg

Here are some outside pics. I think i am officially in love with the roof brackets!

photo 013-3.jpg

photo 004-9.jpg

photo 007-4.jpg

The front porch ceiling. There will be two ceiling fans and a nice swing eventually.

photo 516.jpg

Finally, an 'art shot' of a foggy morning recently. We love living out in the country!

photo 004-10.jpg

o

What a classic home you are building, Jay. I admire your dedication to the project, and the results are worth the effort. It seems that you are lost in a time warp out in your piney woods, and you could just as easily be building this house in the 1920s as now....except for the electronics and fancy appliances, right?

Thank you so much for the update.And for that artsy shot of God's sunbeams blessing your property.

MY update, still a project only in the planning stage. The best is yet to come. Being FINISHED will be the best thing about it. Of course, my DH and I are too old to do the work ourselves....except part of the demo....which I am pretty good at doing! hehehehe I can always tear something up.

o

Very nice, Jay! I can only imagine the peacefulness of your setting, your artsy photo gives a glimpse, though! I can see why you are in love with your roof brackets. They are very cool. I love the tin ceiling and await the finished kitchen. The glimpse of the hood looks fascinating.

o

Looks amazing! Thanks for sharing...and lovely picture of the sunlight streaming through the trees :)

o

That kitchen ceiling is special. How much work was it to install? Good job. Have enjoyed following your progress.

o

I always enjoy your updates! It's coming along great!

please keep posting more pics.

o

In some ways, the tin ceiling was easy to install; in other ways, it was tricky. You have to measure carefully and lay it out just so. As it turned out, the tiles and trim we used came out exactly right for the size of the room. I didn't plan it that way; just lucky, I guess. You have to have something to nail the panels to, so I sheathed the ceiling with plywood instead of drywall. On an existing ceiling, you could put up furring strips.

The hardest part (other than the awkward position of working straight over head) was getting the trim right, and using a different tile for the center of the room. If you look closely, you'll see that the center tile, where the fan is, is a different pattern.

o

OH Jay. It all looks so good. The tin ceiling is amazing. Als love the Art shot . Just beautiful.

o

Jay, such a nice photo journal of your progress. I love the Westinghouse fan (Dad worked for them for years) and the red brackets and stone anchored columns. And what a good idea on the angled returns for the window. It looks graceful, too.

Keep it coming! and thanks!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Smaller Homes Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here