Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
idie2live

I Don't Want To Grow Up!

idie2live
14 years ago

I want to live in my fantasy world. You may know the world I'm talking about. In this world, I can afford to have my kitchen gutted and replaced. Ok, I'm over that fantasy - but how about the one where I get new doors to go on the old boxes (nice also).

But no! I have come back into the real world. I am going to 'refresh' my kitchen. You may ask "what the heck is a refresh"?

I'm going to paint my existing cabinets, add a few 'off-the-rack-unfinished' upper and lowers. Move my stove out of the corner, get new vinyl and replace the ceiling fans.

For the last week I have been trying to figure out the best way to blend my old cabinets with the new.

These are my existing cabs. They have the routed groove around the edges. I have been practicing filling these grooves with wood filler (that is the white stuff you see), sanding, filling, sanding, etc.

This is the result beneath the primer. I can still faintly see the groove. I need to fill it again.

{{gwi:2068418}}

When I get it filled, I plan to add trim to try to get it to look like the new cabs. It will look sort of like this.

This is what the new cabs look like. The door profile is very similiar.

Mitering those corners will take me forever.

Also, it may be impossible to fill the grooves until the are not noticeable. So, I was thinking that I could buy a roll of the beadboard wallpaper and put in the middle of the panels?????? No filling, no sanding?????????

Loretta

So, I have a tentative plan. It will take me forever because I will work on the doors when the mood strikes me.

Comments (70)

• trancegemini_wa
    14 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

thanks loretta, wow this stuff looks good!

• prairie-girl
    14 years ago

You've been given some wonderful ideas. :)

Just wanted to add that if you have grandkids etc you might want to be careful with regular glass. The thing with 'tempered' glass is it's so much stronger and safer (if it ever should break).
    http://www.wisegeek.com/what-is-tempered-glass.htm

The beadboard wallpaper would look good, too. The samples pics you posted look fabulous. I think painting it would be a good idea. Paint will harden it up, and make it much easier to clean down the road. Several years ago, we had talked about using some {{gwi:2068384}} on our kitchen ceiling, along with 1x2 wood trim, to imitate the old metal ceiling tiles. Turned out we couldn't do it, but the sample one we did looked really good.

• idie2live
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Chris, you always have such beautiful pics! Everything always looks so good.
    I had no idea you could use regular glass! But I was 'thinging' about just ordering 2 inserts for one of the cabinets. I love your cabinets (especially the green and white one).

Yeah Trance, those sites give you a good idea of how it looks. Can't wait for mine to get here.

Thanks for the website Missy. Tempered glass is what I was thinking but could not recall.

• Shades_of_idaho
    14 years ago

Loretta with grand kids tempered glass would be safer. The cabinets I did were up high enough I was not worried about kids being injured. If they could reach them they would know to be careful. I do have several plain glass doors around the house and never broke one. Some are really really old. Still tempered glass is not all that expensive.

Chris

• idie2live
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I got my wallpaper today.

Trance, It is really thick, (almost feels 'spongey') so I don't know if it would hold up to pets and kids' beating and banging. But I really like it.

I did a door with the straight edge trim and the paper. I think it looks pretty good. So, this is the direction I am going. No miters to cut! It still needs to be painted.

Originally I put the trim over the edge of the paper, but the paper is so thick that the trim would not lay flat. So then I put on the trim and cut the paper to fit inside the inset. It works much better this way.

• Shades_of_idaho
    14 years ago

WOW that looks FANTASTIC!!!! And not even painted yet. I was not going to do the bath room cabinets. I just might go ahead and do this on them So nice looking. I would only need a little bit.

I really like the straight cut trim.

Chris

• flgargoyle
    14 years ago

Wow- That stuff is amazing! That looks like a lot less work than what I went through.

• trancegemini_wa
    14 years ago

OMG that door looks terrific! this is going to look SO GOOD in your kitchen. thanks for the heads up about the paper. I want this paper so bad now lol but it sounds like Id have to use it somewhere the dogs arent going to trash it or rub against it or I'll be constantly cleaning it :0

• Nancy in Mich
    14 years ago

That does look very good. It seems to hide the bit of a slope left after you filled in the routed edge quite well. I like your idea and how you are making it come to life.

• ronbre
    14 years ago

i'm glad to see that you are taking the steps to get the kitchen area done..all that thought and planning and now you have a plan and you are following through..i'm so excited for you and i'm totally sure it will be making you happy when it is done..your plans look very well thought out..can't wait to see it all done....bre

• User
    14 years ago

Can I make a suggestion? Over there where the stove is now, you plan to put in a base cabinet. Can you make it either with drawers totally instead of doors?

And could you bring the short cabinet presently over the stove into some other spot, and put a full length upper cabinet, maybe a dish rack or a glass door cabinet? Or just some open shelves. Next to that window, it will get plenty of light, won't it? And I'd think about another liftup counter extension, sort of like the one you have on the end near the present stove. With a drop down top and a heavy spring to latch it up, it could be a really nice spot for a stool.

And about the beadboard wallpaper: I am waiting with great anticipation for the 3 rolls I ordered to arrive. I'm thinking the wallpaper would be much easier to mount on the wall surrounding the intended clawfoot slipper tub in the new bathroom bumpout, and maybe on the bottom of the new bar (room for 2 stools) planned for the kitchen. Papering the inside back of the bathroom shelving to be made by my hubby will sure dress it up too.

• Shades_of_idaho
    14 years ago

Hello, Would some one living closer to Loretta than me please pop in and make sure she has not glued her self up to the wall somewhere disguised as bead board????

I am posting with a lady that is using this in her ceiling in her new kitchen Looks wonderful.

Chris

• idie2live
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Jay, I'm using your cabinets as inspiration. I just sent my sister that picture you posted of your cabinets. I hope the wallpaper holds up.

Nancy, I want to thank you for nudging me in a different direction. I was so focused on the mitered corners......
    But after doing the flat trim with the square cut - I like it just as much!

thank you Ronbre, I'm actually enjoying working on the doors. (Don't know how long that will last, though, lol)

Moccassin, hanging out on this board has us thinking alike! The new base cabinets will be all drawers, except for one I need as a filler. I'm also going to put one upper wall cabinet over where the freezer used to be (I've already moved it). It will have glass in the doors. I like the folding counter top.

Trance, do you have Home Depot? It was not in the store here either, I had to order it online. Want me to send you a sample?

Chris, is your friend going to send you a pic of her ceiling?
    I am sick of sanding, though, lol

• Shades_of_idaho
    14 years ago

Ok I begged permission to add pictures to an album I have of projects. The last three pictures are of the bead board paper on the ceiling. I think it is wonderful. This is not my kitchen Wish it were.

Here is a link that might be useful: Bead board paper on ceiling.

• ronbre
    14 years ago

Chris the new cabinets are nice

• idie2live
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Wow, that ceiling looks great! But I'll bet their necks were aching from looking up! lol

• TxMarti
    14 years ago

Loretta, your cabinets are going to look great. I like it better the way you are going to do it now.

Chris, I adore that ceiling. Helps that the kitchen is great too. lol I soooo want wood floors in my kitchen and white cabinets. Not gonna happen though.

• Shades_of_idaho
    14 years ago

Loretta and Marti, The lady is doing all the painting of the walls and putting that paper up on the ceiling all by herself!!! I have been visiting with her. I LOVE her new kitchen .There is a pretty arch and so many nice plans for the cabinets. I will ask to share a picture when she gets them in. I think it was going to be within a couple of days depending on the weather. all that global warming is dumping snow on her.

Chris

• trancegemini_wa
    14 years ago

Loretta we dont have home depot here or lowes so it's a bit restricted what we can get compared to over there. I would love a sample! it would be great to see this in person. I'll see if I can send you my address through your page here....

• idie2live
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Marti. there was a lady on the home decor board who put vinyl flooring that looked like wood. It really looked great. There a couple of threads on that board showing vinyl.
    Chris, how in the world did she get it on the ceiling by herself? I'll bet that was tricky.

Trance, your sample is on its way to you. It has an odd feel to it. Tell me what you think.

With the cabinet doors all over the kitchen and living room, I envy people who have a basement, shop or garage to spread out and do projects in.

• Shades_of_idaho
    14 years ago

OH Loretta me too. Our kitchen is all over the place. Keeps getting shifted as cabinets come and go. You should have seen it yesterday before I got things sort of sorted out. EEEEKKK You could hardly walk through the place.

Can't wait to see your finished project!! Or even progress.

Chris

• idie2live
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Some of the doors are done (I think).

I also put wallpaper on the end of the cabinets too. I trimed it with moulding.

• trancegemini_wa
    14 years ago

wow youve done so much! did you do the mouldings yourself? because I've gotta say, your mitre corners are fantastic. I cant do a decent mitre corner to save my life I always muck them up. I cant wait to see these finished they are looking amazing. thanks for sending the sample I'll let you know what I think (Im so excited to see this stuff!)

• Shades_of_idaho
    14 years ago

Loretta, Cabinets look great. The paint is so glossy. Love it. Was up way too early painting because I should have done it last night and fell asleep. Woke in the middle of the night worrying about a 10 minute job. DOH on me.

You keep up the good work. That beadboard looks so real.

Chris

• idie2live
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I put the doors up to check them out. I am totally suprised by how difficult it is to get the doors lined up! I've given up for right now.

A closeup - still need to put up the trim and paint it. Ignore the mess (does anyone ever ignore it??) lol

• Shades_of_idaho
    14 years ago

LOL Loretta ignore the mess. Sheese I never saw it until you said ignore it. I had to scroll back to see what mess??? you silly girl you are working. No time to stop to tidy.Looks great.

I was so stunned on how pretty your cabinets look that is all I was looking at. What a great job and now I am sorry I did not go with this instead of spending so much$$$

How does the beadboard paper feel now that it is painted? Did it get Ah Hard? Since we did not do the guest and master bath cabinets I think this is the ticket for them. Many months ago I think I saw some of this paper in Home Depot. THEN it would tie into doing Wainscot around the rest of the room.

Woo hoo Loretta you are doing a great job.

Chris

• trancegemini_wa
    14 years ago

It's looking fantastic! what a difference it's made to those cupboards. yep, work in progress means mess I didnt even look at anything apart from the cupboards either.

• idie2live
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Chris, I put up some beadboard last year in my bathroom - what a pain working in that small space! I wish I had known about this back then. Your guest bath would be perfect to try it out.
    It still feels like it has some 'texture' to it after painting. It looks like the real thing until you touch it.
    I have decided not to use it next to the stove of course. (I know the pic shows it next to the stove, but I'm still planning to move the stove to the other wall). Not because of a fire hazard, but because I think when we are boiling or steaming food, the moisture would cause the paper to come loose. So for now, I'm going to leave it on this wall of cabinets.
    Trance, I did do the miters with that little hand miter box. They're not that perfect - you just can't see the spackle!

• idie2live
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Well, I got my nerves under control and decided to cut the center out of 2 cabinet doors so I can put plexi in it! Guess what? It worked! Turned out to be easier than I though because the it had a floating panel.

Here are some of the black cabinets (I feel so adventurous!).

• Shades_of_idaho
    14 years ago

Dang Loretta You Go Girl. I LOVE the black and white. Those new cabinets look like nice ones too. You are going to have your kitchen done before I do and you are doing it all yourself. Way to go!!! I am so impressed with your abilities.

Chris

• desertsteph
    14 years ago

"Sheese I never saw it until you said ignore it. I had to scroll back to see what mess??? you silly girl you are working. No time to stop to tidy.Looks great. "

me too!!! I totally missed the 'mess'. I was busy looking at those beautiful cab doors - but then what you call a 'mess' is normal here - lol!

geeze, you're making me feel terrible. i'd better get off of here and go do dishes and clean lettuce for dinner. i sure don't have any cab doors refaced or painted to show for my day... lol!

love, love, love how your doors have turned out.

another use for that open space between cabs w/'top' over it. a trash bin. HD should have a bracket to 'work' that counter top section. read that on a thread on the kitchen forum i think.

i'm so glad to see that you are getting your kitchen fixed up. you'll be so pleased when it is all done and behind you!

and i haven't even moved yet...

• idie2live
    Original Author
    14 years ago

The wall cabinets went up today

These are 2 samples for the countertop. I'm leaning toward the white w/black specks. Of course it may be next year before I can get them ( same with the backsplash)

I'm going out of town on Thursday, so I'm taking a few 'me' days (painting can wait)

• User
    14 years ago

Ahhh, this has become my very most favorite thread on the GW forums! And the beadboard wallpaper on the CEILING! To die for. And now I have envisioned the wallpaper going on the shed style ceiling of the back porch. It is just some plywood painted white with a strip of molding to cover the seam near the middle, so I think it would be a big improvement to that ugly overhead.

All of you are doing such inspirational projects, and holding down a job and dealing with big dogs and little kids at the same time. This wallpaper is made for SUPER WOMEN!!!

The SouthernHospitality blog link was quite good. I followed it and of course was led astray for at least an HOUR. I don't want to lose all the great links you folks are directing me to, because I'll never in a million years be able to find this thread if it gets lost in the archives. Huh, I wonder what they are really doing when they "archive" the posts? But enough.

I'm about to put a little WOW into the pull down attic steps, which is nothing but ugly plywood, but will be reborn as a BEADBOARD CEILING IN THE HALLWAY. Whoooooeee, that will be easier to do since I can pull the steps down and work on it while standing on the floor. I hope I live long enough to finish all the lovely things I want to do.
    :)

• Shades_of_idaho
    14 years ago

Loretta,

You are doing such a wonderful energetic job. I just LOVE the black and white together. Beadboard is wonderful. you certainly deserve ME time. Have fun. Please take me with you virtually!!!! I wanna go have fun too.

Chris

• User
    14 years ago

Idie2live, I was just looking at the label on the beadboard wallpaper which I ordered from H0meDep0t and it is exactly the same as the photo you posted.

Did you buy your wallpaper from HD? Or did you order it from SouthernHospitality blog? Since I will need more paper than the 3 rolls I ordered originally from HD, I ordered one from SouthernHospitality last night.

The reason I am doing this is because of the price and the way HD charges $25/ROLL, and the SouthernHospitality blog charges $25/BOLT, which is 2 ROLLS. Once I figure out if the amount of paper is the same, per roll, or if it is smaller rolls to make up 1 BOLT, I will post back. It could make a significant difference in the cost of a project, couldn't it?

The HD roll says: Nominal Dimensions: 11yd x 20.5in, 56ft
    It has Pattern No. 15274 LOT No. 001 on the 3 rolls I received.

I am just curious and will satisfy that curiosity, since I have several projects to do in different rooms.

• idie2live
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Chris, all of the tedious things are going to be my holdup. I hate cutting in around doors, windows, and especially baseboards to paint! And since my hall opens into the kitchen, I am going to paint it also. That is 2 windows and 9 doors to trim and paint! Urghhhhhhhhh! Best of all? My kitchen is paneled, so I have to be careful to get into the grooves. :(

Moccassin, I am curious too about the size of her bolts. I don't see how she can out price HD though - but we'll see. I'll bet your ceiling will look great with the wallpaper! But I still can't imagine HOW you get it in place and straight while working overhead.

Desertsteph, I hope things work out for you and you can get into your new home soon. Things never go smoothly, do they?

• trancegemini_wa
    14 years ago

gosh loretta you're a DIY dynamo! woohoo what a great project this is turning out to be.

The beadboard paper sample you sent arrived today, thank you so much! it's just the right length to put it up against a wall and look at it. It looks more hardy than I was imagining too I think this stuff would last quite a while especially painted. ideas are just spinning in my head right now.

you're doing such a fabulous job on your kitchen, I am just amazed how it is coming together it's such a huge transformation going on there and I just love what you are doing!

• desertsteph
    14 years ago

"Desertsteph, I hope things work out for you and you can get into your new home soon. Things never go smoothly, do they?"

they sure don't. maybe for a reason. you hurry and get done, be bored to tears, then you can come help me... lol!

I like the lighter counter top. and love the BS! that is so different.

can't wait to see it all done!

• User
    14 years ago

Beadboard wallpaper from Southern Hospitality and The Home Depot is the same product. I did not remember where we were discussing it, so I started another thread.

Here is a link that might be useful: Beadboard Wallpaper Same Product.

• idie2live
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Trance, one thing I noticed is that when you paint the wallpaper it becomes 'more substantial' (if that makes sense.) If the dogs don't scratch it with their claws, it may be fine in you hallway.

• idie2live
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I haven't done much inside this week. I had my driveway widened last week and there are piles of dirt and gr@ss all over my side yard to clean up!
    But I did pa!nt the kitchen/hallway walls (still need to paint trim, doorways and windows). The electrician came on Tuesday and moved the stove. It will be next year before I get new countertops. In the meantime I bought some plywood to put on top of them. I also still need to paint that base cabinet white.

I put the new cabs where the stove was and built a shelf for the microw@ve.

I'm going to try and find some new 'less busy' contact paper for the front of the 20 year old dishwa$her.

• Shades_of_idaho
    14 years ago

WOW Looks great. That plyw0od is screaming at me to add tiles glass something bling. Hehehehehe Would not last long that way in my house. And I know you can not do counters now I understand and am not being you should do this or that. I just see bare wood and feel the urge to glue something to it. I can not help myself. I have lost my mind and enjoying every second of it. My husband. Not so much. Hehehehehe

I like the bead board inside the cabinet. Shows off your glassware.

You can buy fake stainless steal paper for the front of your dishw@sher. I saw it done on HGTV.

I have no connection to this company just showing what I am talking about.

Chris

Here is a link that might be useful: Stainless contact paper.

• TxMarti
    14 years ago

Loretta, your cabinets look fantastic! I am definitely going to try that wallpaper on something.

Chris, thanks for the link for the stainless contact paper. Do you think it would work on a refrigerator?

• TxMarti
    14 years ago

Are you doing all this work all by yourself? I am so impressed!

Also, what are the measurements of your new refrigerator and how do you like it?

• User
    14 years ago

About covering the old dishwasher:

I saw some RustOleum paint that goes on appliancex to make them look like stainless. With your DW sitting next to your very nice S/S refrigex it might look really great. I never can get contact paper to go on smoothly.

Your entire kitchen looks fantastic. Inspirational!!

• Shades_of_idaho
    14 years ago

By ML " I never can get contact paper to go on smoothly."

Hehehe Been there done that. did a bathr00m counter with TWO sinks in it all on one 9 foot run of contact paper years ago.Had to do two rows of it too. EEEKKK I was seriously drinking wine by the end of the project. It turned out nice amazingly.

Anyway I do not know how this would work on a fridge. Read at that link if there is texture it could show through. The spr@y p@int sounds like an easier fix. I thought those dish washer panels came out and turned over for other colors. So it might be easier to take it outside to spr@y. I had a dishwasher once that had two panels with four colors. Black white harvest gold and?? forgot the last color. Was a simple change.

Chris

• idie2live
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks for the kind words everyone. I'm sort of glad we had so much cold weather - it was the perfect time to do this project.

Marti8a, yes I have done everything myself EXCEPT hang 4 cabinets on the wall and move the electric for my stove! I could have gotten my son to help with the manual labor, but when I am excited about something I like working by myself. (that excitement doesn't always last till the end of the project!)It was/is a lot of work but it was fun.

The frige is huge! Her name is Lucille (after my mother), but we call her 'Big Mama", lol I began by looking for a frige with bottom freezer and ice in the door. None of the single door had ice in the door. That's why I ended up with a fr8nch door. The only reason I could afford this one is because my former employer makes them and employees/retirees get a discount. And it is not really stainless, it's something called clean steel. I really like it but the ice in the door takes up a LOT of room!

There is a panel on the dishwasher. I wonder if the screws will come out after all of this time. I'll see.

• TxMarti
    14 years ago

In 2002 we bought a refrigerator freezer set that is meant to sit side by side. Back then, I cooked a lot, had two kids at home, a lot of their friends were always here, and it made sense. I still fill up two freezers, but the refrigerator is nearly always empty now that it's just dh & me. If we move the kitchen, I need to leave enough room for a normal refrigerator but I think I could go much smaller myself.

Can you get a large casserole in yours? I saw some similar French door refrigerators (GE) online and it looked like the shelves were separate on each side and didn't line up.

• Shades_of_idaho
    14 years ago

Loretta if you have not already tried the screws you might spritz them with a little WD40 and let it sit for awhile first.

Chris

• prairie-girl
    14 years ago

It's unbelievable how fast you did this. I am humbled.... Good for you, Loretta. Wanna contract yourself out?

It all looks fantastic. Can't wait to see the end result. :o)

Sponsored
Integrity Woodworking Inc
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Franklin County's Preferred Custom Cabinetry Professionals