Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lavender_lass

Still blue in the kitchen, but sunnier :)

lavender_lass
13 years ago

Since I found my fairy tale kitchen, I've been rethinking my delft tile...that, and for some reason, I thought it was a LOT more affordable! LOL

So, I noticed that I've saved several pictures (for different reasons) that seem to have the exact same shade of blue. Now, I'm thinking of trying to find a formica in this shade, for the perimeter countertops (with creamy/white cabinets) and have the island painted this blue, with a faux marble countertop.

What do you think?

{{gwi:1657518}}

{{gwi:1657519}}

{{gwi:1435535}}

Comments (41)

• Shades_of_idaho
    13 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

That is a really pretty blue.My friend did a color switch from pinks and greens to a lovely soft robins egg blue. On my monitor your blue looks like well worn denim.I do like it.

• desertsteph
    13 years ago

looks like a light blueish aqua to me / my monitor. I'm not really a fan of blues but I do like that. I like turquoise also.

I doubt there's that many blueish options in laminate - see if there's anything close to this color then if you like it find a paint to match it.

• lavender_lass
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Here's one I like, called blue spa formica (bottom row) recommended by Flwrs, on the kitchen forum. It's a nice color...but I'd want to see it in person.

Desertsteph and Shades- To me, the color seems to be an aqua/blue with a bit of gray...so I think you're both right. I'd call it kind of softened robin's egg blue, but I think it would be an easy color to live with :)

Here is a link that might be useful: Link to Blue Spa formica

• TxMarti
    13 years ago

It's an dusty aqua on my computer too. I like it, but I like the true blue and white better in all your other pictures.

• young-gardener
    13 years ago

Oh, I love the inspiration shots! What a lovely sunroom!

• lavender_lass
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Marti- I like the cobalt blue and white, but when I tried it in person...it was a little too much contrast. Too much like black and white, when I really want something a little softer. Maybe it's my 'fairy tale' kick I'm on right now (LOL) but I'm picturing something that will look good with plants and herbs...and lots of yellow, pink, and lavender flowers.

I also am hoping to find a creamy white, not a harsh white, although it will be harder to match with the appliances. I am still planning to have the cobalt blue woodstove...and some cobalt blue accents with the soft yellow walls. I might go a little golder, than just a flat pastel yellow, maybe something that will bring in the wood (vinyl) floors.

I'm hoping that once I find a good backsplash tile...it will all come together quite nicely :)

• User
    13 years ago

LL, at that link you gave, the Blue Spa looks to opaque and not floating enough for your design. I really like the Cloud Zephyr color, which is a little further into the pages, maybe page 2 or 3. See what you think of it.

And I'd be inclined to order a couple of samples. If you are down to choosing at this time, why not pick out a couple of blues and lay them in your kitchen to see what YOUR NATURAL LIGHT does to the color. All light has some color in the light itself, except maybe true northern light, which is why painters always want a north-facing studio. And why it is important to know the way your house will be set up, which way is north on your lot.

Ciao.

• phoggie
    13 years ago

Lavender~~ I vote for the Cobalt also...I like the contrast...and when I think of blue and yellow, it is the darker color that comes to mind....BUT it is your kitchen!

• lavender_lass
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Maybe it's the VERY long winter, but I'm almost burned out on blue, especially dark blue. I seem to be wanting something sunnier and more garden style. I love blue, but I don't want the kitchen (which is open to the dining room and seating area by the woodstove) to feel too cold.

Totally different color scheme, but I think this is very cheerful! Of course, I'd probably have to scale the flowers back a bit (maybe backsplash tile LOL) but I think the green and yellow, with a little pink, is perfect to counteract all this gray gloom...and now more snow!

Now, I probably sound completely undecided, but I am on antibiotics (tooth infection) so maybe that's one reason I'm all over the place on design. I do like cheerful colors...it's just too bad I can't find a kitchen example. Thanks for letting me digress...and thank goodness it's the last week of February! :)

{{gwi:1417897}}

• Shades_of_idaho
    13 years ago

LL. The brain change you are going through is exactly the blue to green that happened to me. I did not do the big flower thing. I did do the greens. My only concession to blue is the periwinkle. It is perfect with the cobalt and greens.

As much as I loved the cobalt it is gone from our house except for some fancy flow blue china dishes. I will probably keep them forever. And a few small serving pieces.

For me the transition started in 2000 or so. I honestly was shocked. As stated before blue was always my favorite color.

Green is a neutral. Think nature with a background of many greens and every color flower goes with green.

Sorry you are feeling hemmed in with the weather. We had a little more snow last night too.We are not all that far from you. One year we had it so gloomy I bought the full spectrum lights to give my mood a boost. I think it helped and my plants loved them.

Change your mind all you want I love your inspiration pictures.

Chris

• krayers
    13 years ago

LL. I love the soft blue you have chosen - particularly with the creamy white cabinets. The pastel colors of the blues, yellows & pinks are so soothing & cheerful to me. That palate reminds me a lot of Sara Richardson's early work that I've been longing to incorporate in my home.

Your 2nd choice of the greens & pinks is a happy cheerful palate too. I've just done my grandaughter's room in a hot pink & bright green. It's a fun room, but my heart still votes for the soft colors of your original choice. The softer shade of grey/green & soft pink could be beautiful though.

I agree with the grey gloom. Has rained about 4" here in NW Tenn & calling for more all day. We could all use a little cheerful color boost.

Good luck with the choice. I think either could be great!

Kim

• User
    13 years ago

LL, I know the point you've reached. I've never been a fan of blue walls (for sure WALLS) since I was a kid living in a blue painted room, and the walls turned gray and depressed me so bad, with nothing but an overhead light fixture. Bummer.

But the really pink inspiration picture is a bit too much the OTHER direction. It is basically a white room with a lot of pink accents, and it does look girly and too youthful for a year-in year-out room like a kitchen. You can approach the softer hues such as peach, mixed with a little yellow, and certainly the green goes with that. I've found many paint combinations on brochures for Behr paints. Coordinating colors. To make the pink more acceptable to the male members of the household, try a color that, like a chameleon, changes depending on the colors around it. One such color is Behr's ONLY NATURAL, or something that can be beige/tan/ family. Then put your yellows and greens with it. Even the natural color of the wood in your kitchen, would appear as a part of the scheme. I wish I had such an inspiration photo close at hand to submit here. But I'll just have to look in my files and see if I can remember to post it to the right thread later on.

When I say PEACH, I'm thinking of the fruit PEACH, not the color chip PEACH, which combines a little red, a little orange, a little pink, and of course a touch of green in the tuft of leaves on the stem. And that stem is a dark colored bark and wood. What's not to like about a PEACH~~~~

Just putting in my personal eye for color here. I know you will continue your quest until YOU are satisfied that you've explored every option. I admire your tenacity and imagination. Keep exploring the options until you are satisfied.

• lavender_lass
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Chris- Thank you! LOL I have been all over the place, lately, but I'm so tired of this gray weather. Last night we got at least 8 inches of snow and there's blizzard conditions until noon. At least my little flowers have snow on them, before it drops down to the expected -10 F. over the next few nights.

I love blue, and since it doesn't go with all the 'wood tones' in our current home, I've been planning a blue and creamy white kitchen for some time.

At first, I was really happy with my pictures, but then I started looking around my kitchen...and I have green with some pink and lavender (and blue) accents and soft gold walls. It's pretty cheerful. It also goes well with the green Fiestaware pitcher my grandmother gave me and the jadite salt, pepper, flour and sugar shakers that my husband's grandmother left in the farmhouse.

While I still want to have some cobalt and periwinkle (one of my favorites, too) and maybe some aqua/turquoise accents, I like the idea of maybe staying a little more neutral with the greens, creamy whites, wood tones and maybe some fun backsplash. I love the style of my 'fairy tale kitchen' and the backsplash would be great, with more of a leaf/small floral pattern. Maybe something that ties in the garden feeling, but in a more subtle way...not that I don't love that shower curtain :)

Sitting here, watching the snow blowing around, it reminds me of living in South Dakota, when I was a kid...except more trees, of course. If our winters are going to be this long with so much snow, I think a garden theme might be exactly what I need!

{{gwi:1412554}}

• lavender_lass
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Kim- Thanks! I like Sarah Richardson's work a lot, too :)

I think I'll probably end up with creamy white/wood tones with lots of colors I can change out for the seasons. I grew up in a home, where my mom loved changing all the accent fabrics about four times a year...and I think that does make a difference. What looks great in November or February, might look too warm in July or August.

ML- That wasn't really my inspiration picture, but I posted it for a children's bathroom over on the building forum...and I liked the green table/vanity and those pink and yellow accents...although I think the wall above the beadboard would be really pretty in a soft yellow.

I've always thought neutrals are a bit boring, but if I find a backsplash that I really love, I think paint colors and fabrics would make a big statement. I have a lot of cushions and pillows on the banquette and dining chairs, not to mention the upholstered chairs planned for the wood stove area...so I think I could stay quite busy with color, even if I keep it more neutral on the cabinet/countertop choices.

Thank you all for letting my wander my way through color choices. You are all the best and I really appreciate your advice, input and support! :)

• Shades_of_idaho
    13 years ago

Hahahah it is Noon Thirty and if you get a chance to look quick WE HAVE SUN!!!

Now I will go back and read the rest of the thread. Idaho weather changes every 5 minutes so posting this quick.

Here is a link that might be useful: {{gwi:199902}}

• Shades_of_idaho
    13 years ago

LL here is a picture of our house we had before this one and you can see a tiny bit of the hot pink peeking out. LOL I had light mint green walls. Purple bedspread I changed to other colors as the spirit moved me. Still do. Right now the quilt on the trunk in picture is on our bed.It is many many colors. All you mentioned.

I was looking for another picture that was inspiration to start me on the trail of greens. I think I have shown it here before. Can not find it right now. Was a tin cake keeper in the mint green and pink . LOL ONE THING and I have been on the road to green for 20 years.

My husband liked the light mint green so well in the forst house I painted it all the way through. He said he would like me to do the next house we moved to in the same. I did most of that house the mint then one bath a light mauve pink and two bedrooms in the periwinkle.

We both loved it. Now the greens I am leaning towards are the Loretta green in her purple ad green bedroom.

I think here I am mostly doing as you say and sticking with the cream colored walls and accenting with colors. Except I did do one living room wall in green and my studio and sewing rooms in periwinkle.

Here is a link that might be useful: green and pink

• User
    13 years ago

Blizzards and ice storms? What is going on up there!!!

Of course, we were 70s today, however there was dense fog in most of the city. You could cut the humid air with a knife.
    Made my last doc visit for another month. Now I can begin painting the 14 drawer chest to place in the walkin closet.

LL, the thought of making color changes during the year as the season changes, that is my way of doing things. Change is a way of life with me. I read somewhere that you can put many many shades of white in a room, they all get along like a big happy family. Then you can add spots of color as you choose. When you have only ONE shade of white in a room, it can read as pure white,.....until you add another white beside it. Then one of them looks OFF. I think it is corrected when you have SEVERAL shades of white in the room. It begins to look sort of Swedish, and I recommend that in your musings you look up CARL LARSSON and see what I mean. It might be just the antidote you need to these WINTER BLAHS which have you down right now. I think you will be enchanted.

Meanwhile, I am thinking that on one wall inside my Teahouse, I might dedicate it to PAINT SAMPLES. Just splash them up there with a big brush, mostly hidden by the huge potted plants that will be on casters to roll around the room. I might wind up being the next GRANDMA MOSES, who began painting her primitive works after she was well into her 60s. She is my new role model.

• TxMarti
    13 years ago

LL, I was blog surfing just now, and saw a pretty blue dining room and thought of you.

Blue Dining Room

• flgargoyle
    13 years ago

I can relate to what you are going through, LL. I've been going through the same process, but with an entire house! I keep 'trying on' different designs to see if I can envision us living there. Sooner or later, you will have to commit, and get the project underway. I like your idea of a fairly neutral palate, and spice it up with changeable colors from time to time. That's the problem with the more permanent stuff like tile and counter tops- they're expensive to change! It's easy to re-paint walls on a whim.

Jay

• phoggie
    13 years ago

Lavender, it is good that you are making changes on this forum rather than when the kitchen is done. I won't ever make my kitchen with a very a specific color in the expensive things to change (counter-top and back splashes)....I like to change colors with the seasons..so I would keep it neutral and spice it up with the splashes of color. I just thought you were dead-set on "blue".

• User
    13 years ago

Apparently there are some style changes afoot that the counter material manufacturers are responding to. I was at Home Depot the other day, pausing at the Sileston Quartz display, and noting the color samples they had out.

For the first time (EVER) the young salesperson came up to me (GLORY FOR MIRACLES) and asked if I was finding what I wanted. I'd ordered samples online before from the MFGR, not Home Depot, and did not see the one I liked among the current display.

He told me that they'd dropped a lot of the colors, some of the greens, pinks, blues, more yellow stuff, and were going for darker tones, more in the neutral lines. I was pleased that they still had the grey/white called STELLAR SNOW which I liked so much in DH's kitchen up north. But I saw a darker stone called CHROME, which was a dark grey with LOTS of sparkling flecks of quartz in it, and that might look sweet with my stainless on the cooking countertops.

So they are coming out with a new color pallette based on the TREND toward darker neutrals, it seems to me. I'm not a fan of black countertops, but the dark gray of the CHROME color got a positive response from me.

If you are close enough to making your choice, I recommend heartily that you get yourself a sample of the materials you are considering. Put them in place on your counters and see if over a couple of weeks you like or grow tired of any of them. I ordered 4 x 4 sample tiles of a lot, but you might pay the extra to get a 12 x 12 sample shipped to you. I might have found a kitchen supplies dealer in town, but I did not want one hounding me or interfering with my DIY approach to this very personal kitchen design. Mine won't make the cover of BH&G Magazine, but it will do what I need a kitchen to do for us. And look good doing it.

So to sum it up, definite non-neutral COLORS for countertops are apparently on the way out. To use such, could date your kitchen remodel from the git-go.

• writersblock (9b/10a)
    13 years ago

>To use such, could date your kitchen remodel from the git-go.

If you seriously worry about things like that, IMHO you should just leave your kitchen strictly alone and not do anything to it except what is absolutely structurally necessary to keep the roof or floor from falling in. No matter what you do, no matter how awesome everyone thinks your current choices are, in ten years it's going to be just another middle-aged kitchen.

So if you like something that's not stylish or likely to go out of style soon, I so totally wouldn't waste a moment's thought on that. Do what pleases you, not the trend police, so that you'll still love it even when it's on the out part of the cycle.

• lavender_lass
    Original Author
    13 years ago

ML- That just makes me want colored countertops more! LOL

I think my BIGGEST problem is that I've wanted creamy white cabinets, pastel colors, lots of plants, and wood floors....for YEARS! All through the cherry/granite/stainless steel look and all the other 'trends' that have come and gone. When I was little, those are the colors I wanted my mom to use in the kitchen (she's more green and yellow).

Honestly, I'm so sick of seeing white cabinets, with wood and marble countertops in EVERY magazine I pick up, I'll be glad when the trend shifts to something else. What ever happened to lots of styles and colors and ideas? There's a lot more variety on the forums, than I've seen in any kitchen magazine lately.

As for the blue and white, I still want a cobalt blue wood stove, but for some reason, I thought delft tiles were cheap! What was I thinking? So now, I've decided to find another backsplash tile that really 'speaks' to me...that is fairly inexpensie...and then I'll find a countertop that I like to go with it. All neutrals is so boring and feels like I picked a page out of one of those magazines, where all the kitchens seems to look alike. I'd rather make a mistake, than play it so safe that I don't love my kitchen.

ML- That new countertop color will be beautiful with your stainless steel appliances. I think stainless steel is very sleek and I'd probably like it in my own kitchen, if I hadn't worked in so many restaurants, while going to school :)

Writersblock- I agree with you that all kitchens will look dated, even the ones with the marble countertops. I agree that you should design a kitchen to suit your individual style, but sometimes that style changes, so I think that's why neutrals appeal to people. Of course, the definition of neutral changes...to my mom bright yellow living room walls and leaf green kitchen walls are neutrals (and they're beautiful). They do seem to go with everything she brings in, to change the look each season, so maybe they are neutrals :)

Phoggie- I was a lot more excited about blue, before this long winter. I love that soft morning glory blue, with lots of white and plants, but I've always had problems bringing furniture in with it. It looks great in a sunroom, but hard to keep it from looking cold without TONS of windows. Maybe that would be the perfect color for the greenhouse....

Marti- Beautiful dining room, but same thing...notice how much prettier the blue looks, with the plants and the french door, than the wood and black shelves. To me, at least, those pictures look a little cold and the gold would be warmer...but against the big windows, with plants...beautiful!

Jay- How's the house design working out? Do you still like the last one we saw? I thought that was amazing and I hope you find one you love very soon.

Chris- LOL! Idaho weather and eastern Wasington weather seem to be the same...cold and very changable. I like your green walls, but a soft yellow will probably work better for my space. If I had more windows, that would make a difference, but it's a big room and the kitchen does not have a lot of direct light. The light it does have is mainly from the south, so the dining and seating areas will be cheerful, but I think creamy white cabinets and lots of sparkle will help a lot.

So, to summarize, I'm off (once the tooth is better) to look at backsplash tile and get a new 'vision' now that the delft tile is out of my price range. I'm thinking something with vines, leaves and flowers, but still small and pastel, might look really nice. Then, I could pick up any of the colors for accents and paint. Whatever I pick for the countertop will probably be what I paint the island...but I'm just guessing until I find the tile!

Thank you ALL for the links, pictures, ideas and encouragement! You are so wonderful and I really appreciate you taking the time to try to help me with my kitchen :)

• User
    13 years ago

LL, I just finished cutting up my latest Pottery Barn catalog, and noticed that they will GIVE you a Benjamin Moore FANDECK of the colors that PB uses. You can pick one up free in their stores.

I also see a color of blue that could change my mind about never using blue anywhere in my house. It is called BLUE HAZE. And it is truly gorgeous. Almost like the kiss of fog on a quiet day. I want someone else to look at it, who appreciates blue, to see if I am right or wrong.

I do so love another soft yellow that is a Behr color. Called THREADED GOLD, it is a light earthy ochre. Nothing like chrome yellow, which is harsh and so very primary. If you want it to be a tint, then paint the walls white and then rag roll the yellow on top. I guarantee that it will look like molten sunlight and the walls fade away with that effect. I painted it in my kitchen (so far 3 different ones), in a study that was 8 x 9 (which is the room I ragrolled with yellow), in two bedrooms (one faced north and it took the cold edge off the light from window there), and the other faced south, and OH GLORY, was it LOVELY with the Irish lace curtains filtering the sunlight....for my DH's elderly sister the nun, as her permanent guest room up north. And that room of hers is Threaded Gold, with white Irish lace curtains, white woodwork, white sheets, blue blanket, blue vases and blue/white mats on the pictures hanging on the wall. She adores it.

• Shades_of_idaho
    13 years ago

LL if you can tile at all then you can custom make your blue tiles from plates and then fill in around them with white tiles or??

Also custom sections can be done on mesh and shipped that way. You just glue it to your wall and tile up to it. You can still pick up the blue and white dishes inexpensively. Cut the centers out and also use the edges in your design.

I wanted white counters here. It was not an option. Sigh. I have brown and hate them. The back splash I did around helps quite a bit and i am considering lightening the counters to tan. Don't ask me how too scary to think too hard on. Having said all of this if I had it to do over I NEVER would have settled for the brown counters. I really do not like them. Adding a mosaic edge might help. Of tiles to match back splash so I do not see much of the counter. Need to think in this. I know this is not helping you but I am trying to say do not just settle. Get what you want.

Chris

• lavender_lass
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Alright, I'm just going to say it! I want soft blue walls in my entire kitchen/dining/seating area...and I'm VERY worried it's going to look too cold. So, I've been trying to incorporate the blue in other areas and 'be sensible' and use a warmer color, like soft yellow, for the walls.

While soft yellow is a pretty color, it's not blue! LOL Therefore, I am going to be brave and go forward with the idea that I am using a pastel version of morning glory blue...not as green as robin's egg, not as blue as sky...but very pretty. Some might call it a blue/turquoise.

I can put a white painted 'brick surround' behind the cobalt blue woodstove and just find lots of white and plants to warm up my blue. I love purple (my favorite color) so lavender and pink with green...and a little yellow...for the valances, cushions, upholstery, etc. should work fine.

My biggest problem is finding upholstery to go with the blue walls. Too much blue reads too cold, to me, so blue chairs by the wood stove would not work. White is too dirty (even slip covered) so a pattern of some sort would probably be best. I like green, with pink and purple...it kind of tones down the princess look :)

I'll be using mostly creamy/white cabinetry...and I still need to find a countertop material. Since I'm being honest now, about my love of pastels, I still think the right 'vine with small flowers' tile would look wonderful. I also want to use some beadboard for areas open to the back....like bookshelves, plate racks, display, etc.

Medium wood floors, light turquoise/blue walls, creamy white trim and cabinetry, lots of plants, lavender and pink with a little yellow...this is so my look since I was 16, so why not embrace it! LOL

Thank you all for letting me go on and on about my color choices. I guess I just had to get brave enough to go with blue. In my opinion, all pastels go with blue, but most dark woods (especially cherry and mahogany) black, gray, darker colors and harsh white....all seem to make blue look cold. Maybe it's just me, but here are a few examples of my turquoise/blue. Notice, in the last picture, the white bedspread looks a little gray? Creamy white would have looked better.

And Marti- Thank you for the blue dining room! That really made me think about those blue walls, again :)

{{gwi:1640203}}

{{gwi:1640204}}

{{gwi:2068159}}

• Shades_of_idaho
    13 years ago

The lady that bought one of the houses I had painted all green later painted the kitchen the light aqua blue and it was gorgeous. I will ask her if she would take a picture for me.

I had chosen a light turquoise blue for the guest bath. I just have not gotten that far yet.

One thing I found is to half the tint in any color I choose and then it turns out the color I am really waiting as to lighten it keeps it from intensifying when two walls bounce color off each other. the paint people frown. I tell them do it anyway. I have done two whole houses this way and never have been disappointed.

I love the color you have chosen. I also think it will go nicely with your cobalt and that picture with the spread and flowers is so lovely.

• Shades_of_idaho
    13 years ago

LL was digging through some dishes for mosaics. Came across this stack. Made me think of your color quandary. It does show all the colors you are considering do go together. This dish is heavy on the green. Probably why I picked them up.

Here is a link that might be useful: Plate of many colors

• User
    13 years ago

Shades, when you cut the color down, what do you use?
    Same brand of paint? A pure white? And then half that white and half the can of the color?

I very seldom have to use a whole gallon of a color, so it might be possible to be exact in measuring half/half, but oh boy if I need more, it would be hard to get that exact color twice.

I looked at the plate picture, Shades. The mottled green is really nice, and would make a good choice for counter tops in color. I bet something that misty and green, like the fresh green just now coming on the trees and shrubs, would be great with touches of blue in a kitchen. Not too chartreuse, which can be harsh, but definitely a soft sagey greigy green.

But I think you are absolutely right about the colors turning out too too intense or dark or saturated, whatever you call it. I've liked a paint sample, and then was turned off by the flat lifelessness of a color on the walls.
    I also have tried a glazing medium to mix with the paint, which serves to delay the drying so you can work with it, and it also makes it a little more translucent. I like pale colors, but then one of my favorites is that WARM TERRA COTTA which is a deep flower pot color. And also something called MELTED CHOCOLATE. hMMMMMM, THAT MAKES ME HONGRY.

• Shades_of_idaho
    13 years ago

ML when I have the paint mixed I have them cut the added colors amount in half. This way you can always get same paint again. Also you can just paint something white with your almost used up paint and it can be matched. But I let them cut the colors.

I like the bright and intense colors. Just in the one house I did the mint green it got too green when I got to the hallway. Color bouncing off itself.

I really liked those plates and they will make nice mosaics. LOL

• TxMarti
    13 years ago

I don't think that color is too cold. Looks a little more formal than the delft blues though.

• User
    13 years ago

Shades, you are the only person I know who looks at lovely plates and sighs for how they will look WHEN BROKEN.....hehehe. That is so funny to me.

And, I bought two plates at WalMart the other day, thinking of you as I did. (We are two people here, don't need more than that to get my "variety fix.") I will try to upload a picture of them. Square, a bunch of different smoky glazes in squares bordering the plates, I think they call it a "mosaic style." But it is not my interpretation of mosaic, since it is not actual tiles placed on the surface, but colors instead. I'd call it more a polycolor glazing since it is done with glazes and not already fired ceramics or glass. Well, maybe the colors WERE from pieces of glass, but I don't think so. Imported from China, of course.

And here is a side which has some green on the squares. The pattern is totally random.

And here is the bottom border:

Thanks for telling me that you let the pro mix the paint. Those machines are a lot more accurate than our memasuring cups.

• krayers
    13 years ago

LL, Glad to hear that you are going with your heart. I've got the creamy cabinets, wood floor & a neutral countertop in my kitchen & love it. Think the pink & purple/lavender flowers in your inspiration pics look lovely with your blue. Go for it!

Kim

• lavender_lass
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks Kim! Glad to see you love your kitchen choices. What counters did you choose?

Shades- Pretty plate thanks for the link! Thanks for the tips on paint selection.

ML- Too funny, but I'm sure Shades doesn't want to break EVERY pretty plate she sees :)

Marti- Thanks for not thinking this color will be too cold. I think it looks rather formal, because the only example pictures I could find, are a little too dark. The lighter shade is more pastel and should hopefully be more vintage cottage...not so formal.

• Shades_of_idaho
    13 years ago

LOL LL Almost every plate is game for the nippers. Some I use for awhile then cut them up.

I keep forgetting to call my friend for another picture. Will do that right now.

• flgargoyle
    13 years ago

I have another plan for plates in our kitchen. I want to have a stained glass transom over each window, and I'm going to incorporate Depression glass plates into them. I saw a window made that way, and something clicked. I've looked on ebay, and you can get large stacks of matching Depression glass plates very reasonably. Now I just need to decide... pink, or green?

• Shades_of_idaho
    13 years ago

Jay I saw that done on an old window in wood sash. Was so pretty. The color choice would be hard for me too.

• flgargoyle
    13 years ago

The stained glass would be a removable panel over a regular window, so I could change them as the mood struck me. There's also some blue Depression glass, but it's not as common. The window I saw was $1500(!) Methinks I could learn to do a little stained glass.....

• caryscott
    13 years ago

I love this blue called Cape Cod:

{{gwi:2068163}}

I used it on this frame with a bit of faux finishing - I'm not the best at these things but I like it (1 of 2 - they now have mirror in them but I haven't documented them):

I think it is a similar colour to yours because it works well with Blue Spa. I am planning to use both the paint and the Blue Spa laminate in my kitchen when i can finally afford to do it. I just wanted to say while I don't have a lot of it right now I find it to be a warmer blue. I like the sound of your kitchen, I look forward to seeing it.

• Shades_of_idaho
    13 years ago

My friend sent me a picture of her paint color. It is a bit lighter than you posted. Still really pretty. The color is Ace Hardware Palomar. I think it shows darker in person with out flash.

Here is a link that might be useful: Palomar.

• writersblock (9b/10a)
    13 years ago

You know, lavendar, something tells me that you'd like this site. I haven't bought a chandelier from her, but I have bought wind chimes and the work was excellent:

Here is a link that might be useful: sheri's crystals

Sponsored
CHC & Family Developments
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, Ohio