Return to the Smaller Homes Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Pocket door, but not enough wall...

Posted by questioner (My Page) on
Thu, Feb 28, 08 at 14:44

There are a couple places in our house where a pocket door would be great, but there's not quite enough wall space for the pocket. I was thinking if the door could be vertically slatted, perhaps it could bend around a corner? I've seen it done in cabinetry, but can't find anything for wall doors. Has anyone ever done/seen this? Will we have to re-invent the wheel?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Pocket door, but not enough wall...

I think you'd have to be very skilled and very knowledgable to do that one, plus it would likely interfere with in-wall structures like studs, electrics, etc. Not a job for a DIY person for sure. BUT, what about (depending on your entryway) 2 'half' doors coming from either side and meeting in the middle?

o

That may be a possibility. But, i should also mention that these would be on non-load bearing walls and we are building new, so have the ability to duct and wire around these doors.

o

It's just that I foresee huge problems down the road... the doors you're thinking about are NOT the nice easily rollable ones on a breadbox, or even an old roll top desk. If you run into sticking problems for instance at some point, will you have to take down the walls to fix them?

o

I've had a pocket door that's been stuck for over a decade! (It's straight). Hubby says the wall would have to come down for him to fix the tract so I can see that never happening. It is a wall that seperates different sections of our master bath. I'd say give up the dream and go for practicality.

o

yes, it was just an idea i thought i'd throw out. but i'm quite agreed, it's not practical, really, and we made room for regular doors, so it's not much of an issue anymore, thank goodness.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Smaller Homes Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here