Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
patches123_gw

Open house plan under 1750 sqft?

patches123
16 years ago

Currently we are living in a four bedroom, 3 bath, 2500 sqft house, with an unfinished walkout basement of 1200sqft.

We are in our early 30s and live in the kitchen, eating area, 12X12 den and MBR and bath. The rest of the house goes unused. There is no mudroom which makes me crazy. The garage is too small and the utility bills are super high. Its a 7 year old home. I remember looking for a small new home when we bought this but none were to be found.

We have been looking for affordable 2-5 acres near us and found some decent ones. Looking at house plans and not finding really what we need. I want to stay under 1800 sqft. Must haves:

1 - Mudroom off the attached garage.

2 - atleast one bedroom and full bath on first floor.

3 - Open living arrangement, meaning kitchen, eating area and living room are all open to each other.

4 - Garage that is not front dominant (either a side entry, rear or under option)

5 - No formal dining needed, but the main eating area can allow the table be expanded into the living room for those yearly holidays.

6 - Atleast two bedrooms. We may have one child at some point.

7 - we live in tornado country so a basement is a must, which also give us room to expand living area if the need arises.

We like the way European Country homes look on the outside. I have seen some plans by Frank Betz that we like, but that is it. There has to be more.

http://www.frankbetz.com/

Comments (11)

• ronfrank
    16 years ago

I work as a consultant to owner builders and encourage creative, small, green homes. I have access to a variety of great designs. If you want, you can contact me direct and we can see if anything I have will meet your needs.
    Ron
    owner.builder@yahoo.com

• flgargoyle
    16 years ago

I guess it depends what you are used to. Our house is under 1600 sq ft, with no basement or attic, and the three of us have plenty of room. In fact, there are a couple rooms we don't use at all. Our next house will be about 1200 sq ft, with only one bedroom on the main floor. But we will have a full basement, even if we don't finish it. It is hard to find nice small plans- I've found very few I like, and I'm working on my own design.

• nwesterner
    16 years ago

Our son designed his own home to his specific desires. The mainfloor is living, dining, kitchen with a small den/guest room with no closet. The master bedroom (small) and bath are also on the main floor. There is a half bath between the kitchen and laundry/pantry/mudroom which is off the garage. The second story is two bedrooms and an open family room plus full bath. No basement, but full front and back covered porches the length of the house. I'm not sure of the sq. footage, but it is not very large. He worked with his design until he came up with what worked for them. You might try working up your own plans and then go from there.

• jasonmi7
    16 years ago

That describes my home. Let me go see if there's a floorplan online. Mine is a timber-frame cape cod...so that might not be the 'style' you want, but the floor plan might be a place for you to start.

• jasonmi7
    16 years ago

Here you go. You can stick the garage anywhere. We also switched out the windows to casements, the front door to the left (as a French door), and threw a quick wrap-around-porch on it.

Here is a link that might be useful: Classic Post and Beam

• patches123
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks so much. I'll check this plan out tonight.

• willie_nunez
    16 years ago

patches,
    I saw where you requested, on my other thread, a drawing of our house. We're retired, and basically wanted an 'efficiency' floorplan with a few 'big house' features. My wife and I designed our cottage just for us and our lifestyle, which includes some traveling in our big motorhome (it's parked in our own backyard with full hookups, ready to go). Plus, I had to have the big garage in order to house the bassboat and small shop area (I like to fabricate and tinker). It's all on one ground floor (slab), no more steps to climb, plus wheelchair-friendly just in case. I was owner/builder on it, and actually ended up doing quite a bit of the work myself. I built two storage areas in the attic, and a little 10 x 12 barn out back (for my little tractor). I'll post an exterior shot after I installed the railings/ballustrades for the front porch.

• patches123
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks Willie for posting your plan.
    Wow, that is so very close to what I am looking for. Big garage, big MBR and then an open living plan. Even though we are young, I do want to include many universal design principles. I'd love to know about your owner/builder experience.

Can't wait to see the exterior. I loved the interior pics you posted by the way.

Jasonmi - did you use the building services that the company offered that you linked to? They had some interesting plans that might work.

• jasonmi7
    16 years ago

I'm sorry...do you mean the design services? In that case; yes. I had them switch out windows/door locations, types, etc, then had the whole package shipped here to Michigan. I'm the builder.

• patches123
    Original Author
    16 years ago

So, they modified the plan a bit and then you bought all the materials from them and are building it yourself?

Reason I ask, is they are the first company I have seen that will not only sell the plan, but also all the building materials, other than a local modular home company, which I am considering.

I was curious to see how its working for you? Would love to see the progress and any tips or advice you have.

When we build we plan to be the GC and sub out things that we choose not to do ourselves. For example, we have no desire to personally hang drywall.

• jasonmi7
    16 years ago

I've been here for about 15 years now, and it seems to be working out fine. I might actually go smaller next time, and I'll certainly go more modern in design next time...but other than that; it's good.

The one thing I did find was that the materials package was significantly nicer than anything we get around here; for instance....framing lumber and plywood all come out of either the NE United States or Canada; so straight, knot free 2x4s which would be called 'clear' here, 7 ply plywood, etc. We don't get ANYTHING like that locally. All the materials were top notch; probably higher than I would have bought, had I put the package together myself here.

Shipping was fine, but even back then, it was 2K for shipping; it'd be significantly more now. Nothing was damaged at all. SIP panels, timbers; everything was pristine when I got it and before I ruined it....er...I mean built it. No problem finding subs or getting them to work on it.

Sponsored
Franklin County's Preferred Architectural Firm | Best of Houzz Winner