Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
chris_pyle

New Kitchen

Shades_of_idaho
14 years ago

OK Fast again because I must get laid down. I am exhausted.

The link goes to our kitchen. From the pictures it looks like a wonderful kitchen. Yes it is except the pictures do not show the cabinets are yuck contact paper on fake wood. The doors and drawers are real wood. We ordered real wood from the manufactured home company and they did not get it checked right on the form and we got yuck. So disappointed and already after less than a year and a half the cabinets are separating.

So we hired a very nice man to rebuild them for us. He used to work for this manufactured home company, Fleetwood :^( when things were booming and he knows how these cabinets are built. He is going to remove all the cheep veneer wood and replace it with real Knotty alder which is what the doors and drawers are. In the end we will have nice real wood cabinets. The kitchen and laundry room will be done. I have already done the counter tops in the bathrooms and do not realy care about the rest of the cabinets as there is so little that shows and believe me there will be glass or paint on them soon as I can get to it.

Anyway The blank spots are where the cabinets were. I do not know how long it will take him to rebuild them.

So it all happened rather unexpectedly fast. I called the guy and he came in Wednesday to measure and get an idea of cost. He called Thursday with quote and Friday we paid him half to do it and he was here at 9 this morning to get started. So quickly I had to unload ten cabinet sections. And then company arriving.

I had to work tonight on City Books and ledgers because of Monday nights council meeting. Will have to work Tomorrow and Monday too. Loretta the council works for free. We have one meeting a month unless we have to do a special meeting or hearing. So time flies it has been a month since the last meeting.

The emergency trip to the chiropractor this afternoon helped my neck and back but I need to get laid down flat. Stick a fork in me I am done.

Chris

Here is a link that might be useful: Kitchen caper

Comments (50)

• wantoretire_did
    14 years ago

Well you know, Chris, when they need something done, they ask a busy person ;-)

The miracle here is that you got someone to (1) come right over to measure, etc., (2) call you right back, and (3) get started on it right away!!!! Just getting it done, now, what a good feeling.

We have a reliable, competent handyman. I am convinced that living in a small town certainly has its advantages.

• wantoretire_did
    14 years ago

Well you know, Chris, when they need something done, they ask a busy person ;-)

The miracle here is that you got someone to (1) come right over to measure, etc., (2) call you right back, and (3) get started on it right away!!!! Just getting it done, now, what a good feeling.

We have a reliable, competent handyman. I am convinced that living in a small town certainly has its advantages.

• emagineer
    14 years ago

This is fun Chris. I like being able to see before afters and know you will keep us posted along the way. Hard to believe from pictures that the current cabinets are "paper".

You are going to love having this done and any interruptions to life will easily be forgotten. I could use an excuse to go through my kitchen just to clean out the unused and old.

Hope you have a couple restaurants around so not to worry about cooking.

• TxMarti
    14 years ago

Yes, it is hard to believe those aren't solid wood cabinets. They look nice, but I know pictures can be deceiving. Is the guy going to take them in sets to his workshop or he doing the work at your house? If the former, maybe it won't be too bad living with it. If not, I agree that eating out may be in your future for awhile.

• flgargoyle
    14 years ago

This must be the season for kitchens, at least on this forum! We are getting our new counter tops on the 17th. I'm going to do the backsplashes with subway tile, and then the kitchen will be done! Pics to follow.....

• Shades_of_idaho
    Original Author
    14 years ago

WOO HOO city work is finished until tomorrow when I fire up the printer and burn off a ream or so. Hehehehehe.

So to try to answer questions.
    Cabinet guy took the uppers with him.Filled his van so will get the ones over the stove later. Works for me. They are/were empty but I put a couple things back to keep them off the counter while I was cooking.

He said he will do the base cabinets in place?? That is all I know on that part.

Our company Ray has been with us through thick and thin building a house from scratch.While living in camp trailer working with generators. Putting the house back together after the flood, several moves. So we get by pretty well in adverse cooking conditions. And really it is not bad at all. I have all I really need. Stove sink counters . Dishes and glasses in a box and I was even able find the parsley for chicken soup this afternoon.

Heck I lived for over 6 months in a new house with almost no cabinets. NOW that was starting to Pi$$ me off. Especially when that cabinet maker was just sitting at the bar day and night drinking up the money we paid him. But finally the money ran out and he sobered up and I got my cabinets and they were beautiful.Gotta love Idaho or leave it. Heheheheh

I do not know how long it will take to get the cabinets back. I think it might be more of a problem when he works on the base cabinets. But then he can only work on one at a time so how bad can that be? He is a pleasant guy to be around.

Also to go eat out is a 40 mile round trip. There is a small cafe in town. It is good to eat at but oh so boring.

Going to go take a deserved nap. Woo Hoo the rest of the day is all mine.

Chris

• Shades_of_idaho
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Oh flgargoyle. How exciting. We are not getting new counters. Would like them can not justify the expense on top of the cabinets. Will give them time and save my money.

Can not wait to see pictures. Love the look of subway tile.

Chris

• idie2live
    14 years ago

Ohhhhhh, Chris! I know you're happy! To have everything fall into plaqce so quickly - unheard of. That Alder wood is beautiful.
    Your cabs you have now look really nice - you cannot tell they are not real wood. Sounds like my bathroom cabinet. I did not realize it was not a real wood box until I started to sand it!

• User
    14 years ago

It will be interesting when he gets to your base cabinets, doing them "in place." I'd really like to see how that works. Be sure to take more pictures of the process, maybe crawling down under the counters while he is gone. :)

I am a believer in biting off small bites and nibbling away at a project. That is how we are doing my house down south, and my hubby's house up in Massachusetts. That way,, we have the time to reflect before we rip out something which we might live to regret. But I dearly LOVE to work on small (and old) houses. Shades, my tiny stick built old kitchen would fit inside yours with space to spare.

• Shades_of_idaho
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Yes this really is a huge kitchen dinning room space. I never measured it before. The whole room is 21'7" by 12'6" and the living room is 19'7". They are parallel.

Moccasinlanding I can take pictures while he is here. He is fine with anything I do.I can not even begin to imagine how he is going to do the bases. I just have to watch and see.

Believe me I have had a few tiny kitchens in my time.Did not really need a kitchen this big but the 4 foot stretch in the living room has to go all the way through the house so it really made the kitchen large.

Hoping it gets done soon but whatever it takes it takes. I am not going to stress over it.

He is also going to put a window above the door in the guest bath for light, there is no window in that room unless the door is open to the laundry room, and a screen door on my studio. So I am totally excited about all of it.Two things I wish I had thought of when we were customizing this house.

chris

• FlowerLady6
    14 years ago

Wow Chris, he has been there already and taken cabinets. I look forward to seeing what he comes up with. It is hard to believe that your cabinets are contact paper covered. Really good looking for fake. I know you'll love your new look, and we will enjoy seeing pictures.

FlowerLady

• trancegemini_wa
    14 years ago

that's amazing shades, where did you find him? lol

I love wood cabinets and it's going to be great when he gets finished. one of my pet peeves is modern type cabinets or furniture that just fall apart after a few years. my wood kitchen cabinets are 40+ years old and still solid as a rock, they just dont make things like they used to :0

• Shades_of_idaho
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Flowerlady Mario took the cabinets on Saturday just a few hours before company arrived. We lived out of card board boxes. Worked out fine.

Trance Mario is a great worker. He worked for the MFH company we bought the house from and spent a couple of months here doing repairs. So we know his quality of work and temperament. Now building is so slow he was glad to take the job. We also have a friend that wants their cabinets all redone and he is also going to hire him when we get done with him. So we and our friend will keep him busy for a little bit.

I am so excited about the window in the bathroom and the screen door too.

Today I am exhausted from all the doings here. I am taking the rest of the day off and just resting my self. Reading a book vegging out. Company has gone home and his bed can wait to be stripped. Everything can wait. I have pushed through all of it as much as I can right now.

Chris

• trancegemini_wa
    14 years ago

Chris we have had a tradesman shortage here for around 10 years. I dont think our construction industry has slowed very much because of govt incentives to build new houses, so here you are lucky if you can even get a "tradie" to show up and quote. most wont even put you on a waiting list, it's really bad so to me it would be really amazing to find a cabinet maker who would even want the work, let alone show up so quick to do it. :)

• prairie-girl
    14 years ago

Sounds like things are zooming along at your place! Hopefully you are getting too tired with all the demands placed on you. I'm sure you will love your new cupboards when it's all done. It may not look much different, as you say the doors/drawers are already wood, but it will feel very different for you. :o)

• Shades_of_idaho
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Small update on our kitchen redo. Talked to Mario and he said a few more days and the upper cabinets will be done. Then the base cabinets.

I bought these tiles to do the back splash in, I was going to make my own crazy tiles like the bathrooms and then saw these tiles and fell in love with them. Slightly out of my usual fashion. I will change the light green tiles on the sill for a brown root beer colored set. No problem for that. I have not grouted yet.

Chris

Here is a link that might be useful: Back Splash Tiles

• emagineer
    14 years ago

Chris...Mesh makes it very easy to apply. Sometimes it does stretch a bit when getting damp from the application medium. Just eye it and move any tile a bit if this happens.

You are going to be so "beyond happy" when those cupboards show up.

• idie2live
    14 years ago

Chris those tiles are very nice. I saw some similiar glass tiles yesterday (in green & black) and I almost got them! I love the idea of a tile backsplash but have no idea how to begin something like that. I can't wait to see yours. Maybe you will inspire me.

I used to work in a factory so I knew lots of guys who did work 'on the side' - plumbers, painter, tv repairmen, appliance repair, handymen, electricians, car repair, ac repair, etc. It used to be simple to get someone to fix things. Now most of those guys are in their 60s or older and have quit working. You're lucky to have Mario. Nothing beats having someone who is dependable!

• prairie-girl
    14 years ago

Very nice tiles, Chris - they are very 'earthy' warm colours! Can't wait to see them up.

Loretta, isn't that the truth? It seems that there's no pride in a job well done anymore! I don't understand how people can do a shoddy job and just not care!

• Shades_of_idaho
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Quick update. Mario was just here. He brought sample of the style wood he is using. Had to get Maple . The doors and drawers are knotty alder but the maple matches exactly. Either way it is going to be pretty. He said he would be here Wed or Thurs with the upper cabinets to install then he will start in on the lower.

Chris

• FlowerLady6
    14 years ago

flgargoyle ~ Looking forward to seeing your new kitchen project. I really like the subway tiles.

Chris ~ I love those tiles that you are using for your backsplash.

FlowerLady

• Shades_of_idaho
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thank you flowerlady. I bought the rest of the back splash tiles today and some small glass tiles for the window sill. I removed the light green tiles and replacing them with the root beer and darker tiles to go with the back splash. I will have to wait until after the cabinets are done. Chomping at the bit. I can do the window sill. And I will use the green tiles in the living room to finish off that window sill project.

WOO HOO I have Missy Green paint in our living room. Still wet. Darkening as it dries. Will try to do the other side tomorrow if I get home in time from work. The perfect color for our space. Thank you so much for sharing!!!! I think I will do three walls in the sewing room with the light kitchen green and the far short wall in Missy Green.

Chris

Here is a link that might be useful: First three pictures for paint and tiles

• idie2live
    14 years ago

I can't wait to see the final result! I luv those tiles and the paint color.
    Try to remember to take a pic midway of the backsplash. I want to see how it's done.

• Shades_of_idaho
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Loretta the sheets of tiles are 12 by 12 tiles. I am only going to do a 4 inch high row around the counter edge up the wall. There were no more sheets of tiles and I do not know if they will get more or if they would even match.

I am going to so cheat on this. As I usually do. I glue everything with silicone. Then grout. The biggest thing is to get a good seal at the edge of the counter to tile to keep moisture from creeping behind the tiles.

Going to be hard to hold back on this project.

I did come up with a cord solution to my bathroom counter. I found a smaller stained glass thing. I really do not know what it was. Maybe candle glass??? I glued some glass bits around the bottom to allow room for the cord to go through each side and will wind it un inside. Pain the cord to lamp part something to blend with the counter better and call it a done deal. DH pointed out moving the plug is not an option because he needs it for his shaver. Who Knew. Hehehehehe

Now it is evening the new paint looks more like Missy's paint. Loving it. Can't wait to finish.

Chris

• User
    14 years ago

Chris, you are AWESOME!!
    You are obviously having a great time, and then I find out that you also hold down a JOB besides all this project stuff. I am delighted with your results. I saw in one of the pics that the brown is iridescent, and it reminds me of the seashells I have all over my house.

And I could not tell if you had covered that flower pot you moved, with small tiles or maybe with broken pottery shards. That is something I've seen before, but not with the tiles, just the broken pottery.

Keep the pictures coming. I'm just now catching on to what is happening in your kitchen. Cannot wait to see what Mario has done with your upper wall cabinets.

• Shades_of_idaho
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks moccasinlanding, I covered the flower pot with my neighbors broken bathroom mirror. Hehehehehe I sliced it up and made small mirror tiles from it. I do not know how long it will last but it does not really matter it was a fast fun project. At a time I needed stress relief.

Yes the brown is iridescent and very hard to photograph to get it to show up. It gives it the glitz I need.

THREE cabinets are HERE and mounted and filled back up with their contents. Mario said he will be back again tomorrow. He will take the rest of the upper cabinets with him and mount two more uppers. That will be good. He is doing this slowly for me so I do not have to be a long time with out my kitchen or work too hard all at once. Or him. We are both 60 and things move just a little slower then when I was 40 or younger.

I took pictures and too tired tonight to deal with them I had to come home from work for the cabinets this afternoon and will have to go back tomorrow to work a little more. THEN the rest of the week is mine again. OH Gee That would be one day. Hehehehe That is almost funny where did this week go??

OH and we discussed the bathroom window. Going to put it into the wall giving more light to the room. It still will be high up . Bottom of the window about 61 inches high from the floor but it will be maybe 40 inches tall and hoping 16 to 18 inches wide. Will just have to see what we run into when he opens up the wall. I can not wait for that. Will make such a nice difference in that bathroom. And of course it will get a little of my glass treatment done on it for privacy. See Missy I do have window envy on a small wall budget. Heheheheh

I am totally out of gas tonight. Signing off.

Chris

• Shades_of_idaho
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Two more cabinets have come back and the sink cabinet is just barely there. I can use it carefully. The house is pretty much totaled. Had to stop for a break. The up side on top of getting new cabinets is the whole kitchen will be cleaned and sorted once it is all done as I am purging as I go along.

Chris

Here is a link that might be useful: Laundry cabinets and Fridge Top Cab.

• prairie-girl
    14 years ago

Woooohoooo you are zooming! I LOLed at 'Missy Green' paint.

I am so glad you are loving the colour!
    It is wonderful that your cabs are getting done so quickly. You'll be back cooking up a storm in no time.
    I echo moccasinlanding's thought - you are pretty amazing! :o)

• idie2live
    14 years ago

Those cabinests are freakin' gorgeous! (Oh, am I too old to talk like that?) Mario is obviously a woodworking genius. Why oh why is he all the way out west with you???? Can you share him?

• wantoretire_did
    14 years ago

Chris - They are gorgeous! Can't wait to see it all finished. Good for you for purging along the way. Makes it so much simpler.

• User
    14 years ago

Shades, you cat has the cutest NOSE.....from sticking it into places not made for kitty noses...."curiosity killed the cat."
    Love your kitty's hidey hole on the shelf too.

• Shades_of_idaho
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks Moccasinlanding. She is a silly little one. Maybe because she is a bottle baby. She is so attached to the dog and he loves her. He licked the milk off her face when she was a tiny one. They have bonded. Right now they are playing she on my foot rest hugging his head. So cute.He is wiggling so hard he almost falls over.

I will try to get pictures of the cabinets later this evening. Charging batteries.

Chris

• trancegemini_wa
    14 years ago

wow the cabinets are looking great shades! I love the backsplash tiles they are just gorgeous. Im not sure if you said but what sort of tiles are they? are they glass?

• ronbre
    14 years ago

Chris, your kitchen remodel sounds beautiful. I'm so happy for you that you are getting these done for you and that you don't have to do it yourself. I bet they are lovely. I'm sorry that you aren't doing well physically, I hope your leg has healed up now. Bre

• idie2live
    14 years ago

Chris, did you have any cabinets built with drawers?

• Shades_of_idaho
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Loretta, all the base cabinets have one drawer and there is one full bank of drawers. BUT this is how they came with the house and I can not change that. I am just having the cabinets refaced not all new. So all will be the same just real wood not fake paper stuff. The doors and drawers were wood. The rest of all the cabinets were pressed cardboard kind of stuff with paper like thin contact paper over it. Horrible stuff. The manufacture made a mistake in our order so changing it out. So a bother for now but in the end t will be so much better.

If I had it to do over I would NOT do drawers on each base cabinet. I would do full base cabinets or base cabinets with all drawers and wide drawers not the narrow ones we got. I have worked it out with out things and I am big on storing things in trays in the base cabinets so they pull out like drawers.

Chris

• ronbre
    14 years ago

hope you enjoy it and it makes life nicer for you

• User
    14 years ago

Shades, a little off topic here. I was cruising thru your Flickr album to see if I missed any kitchen photos. Saw your morning glories arched along the fence. If you plan to bring them back this year, how would you feel about adding 2 other annual vines to the mix?

MOONFLOWERS bloom huge and white at night. I think they are a member of the ipomea/morning glory family. Another goodie which grows very quick is SCARLET RUNNER BEAN. And then a lovely sort of mauvey purple called HYACINTH BEAN. The last one is edible, also. Mix them with your morning glories too.

• Shades_of_idaho
    Original Author
    14 years ago

OH ML I love Hyacinth Bean Need to get some more seeds of them soon so I can get them planted. I have tried Moon Flower with no luck and yet I see it growing around in the town 20 miles down the mountain. We might be too short growing season. I will give it another try because it really is lovely. Not familiar with Scarlet Runner bean. Will have to look into it. I hope to get the whole fence planted in the dogs yard and the court yard to make it really feel like a court yard. Right now it does not really have walls but I can dream.

Thanks for the suggestions. I appreciate it. This is a new yard as of last year so I have a long way to go.

Chris

• ronbre
    14 years ago

let me know if any of the seeds i gave you do anything

• idie2live
    14 years ago

Chris, do you have any new pics?

• Shades_of_idaho
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I will take some a little later this evening and get them loaded up. thanks for asking. There has been a little progress.

Chris

• Shades_of_idaho
    Original Author
    14 years ago

OK I got a picture of the lower sink base cabinet. It is all done. Forgot to get the above the stove cabs. Darn. Tomorrow is another day. LOL Mario might be coming again tomorrow so there might be more additions then anyway.

I am so much happier having the real wood and knowing it is real wood. This kitchen will last a long time.

Chris

Here is a link that might be useful: Sink Base Done

• idie2live
    14 years ago

Chris, he is doing such a beautiful job. Did you say your house is only one year old?
    love the way you decorate the inside of the cabinets with the trays.

• Shades_of_idaho
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Loretta we set the house May 2008. So now it is almost two years old.

The trays are fun. One reason I just went with the center shelf as I knew I had the wracks to hold my dishes and then I could display my trays I have different ones in each cabinet. Some pretty china platters too.

Chris

• Shades_of_idaho
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Having issues with the tiles I thought I wanted and loved. Trying to make my decision on the best way to use them I had planned on a four inch back splash solid small one inch tiles. Then stuck them to the wall with tape last night and went yuck not loving it. Then this morning in the sunlight the pretty colors come out and they are lovely. But the checkerboard is still making me a little nutty. Although I am used to that.

So I am trying several options. I still have time to make my decision as long as I want. Cabinets are not done yet so do not want to start the tile until they are.

Open to suggestions. Link is first of six pictures just click NEXT.

Thanks Chris

Here is a link that might be useful: Tiles

• idie2live
    14 years ago

Chris, I think they are beautiful by themself. The white seems too white. JMHO

• Shades_of_idaho
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Hi Loretta, We are heading off to town today hoping to find something that will work. I do feel better seeing just the tiles with nothing added. It was the night shot that threw me through a loop. And not all of it has fallen down from being taped up. Hehehehe Do not recommend tape to hold tiles.

Will let you know what I discover on scouting trip today. I did buy enough to do the back splash all in the small tiles. So we are good there.

Thanks so much for your thoughts. Chris

• desertsteph
    14 years ago

they hurt my eyes! a lot does as i've gotten older. flashing things on tv / commercials. dots etc.

how about the black tiles as the 'liner' across the top and the beige and brown as alternates on the lower part? not so busy then.

• Shades_of_idaho
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Mario is almost done with the cabinets. I am working in the back splash now on the sink side of the kitchen as it is done.

I am having such a hard time getting a good picture of the pretty colors in the tiles. In person they are so many colors in the pictures they look so flat.. What look like dark brown tiles are not. They really are teals greens blues purples even some pinks. and then a few creams.

Here is a link that might be useful: Finally decided to go with first choice

Sponsored
Fourteen Thirty Renovation, LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars23 Reviews
Professional Remodelers in Franklin County Specializing Kitchen & Bath