Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dwoloz

Building a 120sq ft TINY home - follow along

dwoloz
13 years ago

Hi all

I've just begun constructing a 120sq ft home in my backyard and am journaling about the process at http://tinybackyardhouse.blogspot.com

Id very much like if you followed along on the progres! :)

Comments (3)

• TxMarti
    13 years ago

That's quite a project. I'm curious. What is the main comunal house and who lives there? And how hard was it to get a building permit for your new one?

• User
    13 years ago

Yeah, good question, Marti. In our town, they make every neighbor be notified if you want to put a live-in structure on your property in addition to the main house. Something to do with population density, I think.

I think Scott would be interested in this post, hope he is browsing the forum this week.

Dwoloz, thanks for giving us the heads up on your project. Small is definitely beautiful.

• columbiasc
    13 years ago

Of course I'm browsing around. I'm always browsing but I don't always have anything say.

Well, it is Berkley! This should be an interesting project to watch come together. I didn't read every line in the post but I'm wondering about the purpose. It's drawn out like a true "residence" not a guest room or backyard retreat. Personally, I would have to get used to the toilet being that close to the, oh heck, IN the kitchen. But at 10X12 you don't have many options and I concede that walling it off is an excercise in futility. In tight quarters there wouldn't be any privacy anyway. And it's not like you are going to have a gaggle of people over for dinner.

I like the chicken. Cool markings. I've seen that variety on other posts. I might try chickens in the future, just not ready yet. I was somewhat serious about rabbits at one time so I could harvest the fertilizer but rabbits don't lay eggs and I'm not crazy about the taste of rabbit so no barn animals at my place yet.

I like the raised beds although the dry stacked brick doesn't look very stable. In late March I'm inheiriting a raised bed frame built out of pressure treated 2X10's. I built it for a friend two years ago and she has decided her yard does not get enough light so I get to bring it my house. I hope that helps me control the weeds better. I simply don't have time to go out to my traditional garden and hoe weeds every night so the weeds always get ahead of me and take over the garden.

I like her spirit. Bold, adventurous, a tad radical. Rock on with your bad self. Dang, I forgot to copy the site address and form a link here. Oops, maybe next time.

Scott