Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lavender_lass

How crazy is this idea? LOL

lavender_lass
13 years ago

I love star jamsine (of course, since I'm in zone 4) and I buy it every year, to put in pots by my porch, with white petunias. They never make it through the winter, so this year, I may try keeping them in the house.

In my remodel, I'll have more room in the dining area and wonderful south light. So...do you think it's a crazy idea, to try to grow star jasmine in the house? I mean, actually let it climb up lattice or some other way of growing it?

I don't have a greenhouse, but the dining area is going to be big enough, for some plants. I keep thinking of Katharine Hepburns' philodendron in "Desk Set" (does anyone know what I'm talking about?) but could a person realistically do that with a star jasmine? In their dining area? LOL

Thanks for any advice on this...I do appreciate it! :)

Comments (9)

• TxMarti
    13 years ago

I don't know why not. All of our house plants are native outdoor plants somewhere. Back when I used to have plants in the house, I used to have a lot of vining plants.

• 4boys2
    13 years ago

Have you ever tried Pink Jasmine :

Here is a link that might be useful: http://www.gardenguides.com/89388-pink-jasmine-care.html

• larke
    13 years ago

Jasmine's been grown for years as bonsai by people - go to bonsaisite.com and ask how to do it!

• User
    13 years ago

Hooo-boy, Lavender, you are mentioning a plant near and dear to my heart. It is a fantastic vining plant.

Presently I have ONE PLANT which is covering an 8' tall 4x4 post in my front yard. It made a column of green about 4 foot in diameter, stays green all year here, which is zone 8B in coastal Alabama. I also planted about 40 of the vines along our new 7 foot tall chainlink fence. I never thought about it as a privacy hedge until I saw it used in Tuscany and sheared to make a smooth hedge. I looked inside and saw plain old chain link holding it up. I was so excited by this creative use of the plants, I could hardly wait to get home and try it here. I think it takes about two years for it to climb that high, and begin to fill in for solid beautiful coverage.

Just about any of the jasmine vining plants would be great for a container where they get good light. In Italy, it gets just about the same temps there as here, with cooler nights not as humid. And I've seen vines in big pots inside the villa where we stayed, lapping around the rooms. You might want to keep it more under control, and look into several varieties/species of jasmine. One that is especially aromatic is called JASMINE SAMBAC, Maid of Orleans. It is a little harder to find than the Star Jasmine, a little more costly. Oh yes, I would definitely do the jasmine in the house. It responds well to pruning. Put the big pot in a properly sized saucer, and set the whole works on a small plant dolly so you can roll it out on your deck during warmer months. You will be rewarded.

Down here, the Star Jasmine blooms in May and June. I have a mockingbird nesting in my big one in front of my house.

This is the fencing jasmine in Italy.
    {{gwi:39162}}

And this is the jasmine on my post out front. ONE PLANT.
    {{gwi:358948}}

• lavender_lass
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thank you all for the great ideas and suggestions :)

I would like to stay with star jasmine, not only because I love the fragrance, but it's non-toxic to cats. Does the jasmine only bloom for a few months? Mine (by the porch) usually bloom all summer.

ML- Lovely photos and wonderful idea about using star jasmine for a hedge. What a gorgeous plant on the pole...it's as big as one of my lilacs!

• flgargoyle
    13 years ago

I have star jasmine running all over the back fence. Ours blooms a little every month, but more so in the summer. I think it will do fine indoors if you can get enough light.

• Shades_of_idaho
    13 years ago

OH this is really good news. I think I will give it a try next year. I love Star jasmine. Pink would be the icing on the cake.

• flgargoyle
    13 years ago

Do any of you buy plants from Logee's? They used to just specialize in begonias, but now have all sorts of interesting stuff. Expensive, yes, but excellent quality. When I live in CT, we used to visit their greenhouses once a year. What a treat! Hundreds of begonias, and everything else.