Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jasonmi7

Roll Call and biggest concern

jasonmi7
16 years ago

If you don't mind, perhaps as a way of introduction.

Name, rank, serial number. Ooops. I mean, Name, location, house size and style. Biggest concern.

I am....you'd never guess it. Jason.

Mid Michigan.

House is 1650....perhaps too big. Style is Cape Cod. Timberframe and SIP construction. Biggest concern generally is generally type of house, size, and 'value', although that isn't as big a concern as it once was, since so many are downsizing now.

Others?

Comments (95)

• emagineer
    16 years ago

Linnea...a pretty name. Where did it come from?

I love your little house. And hope you enjoy gardening as it has some wonderful area to play in the yard. Very nice catch with all the options included.

Looked at your blog. I want to see the bike. My son has one and worry every time he is on it. Not because of his driving, but all the other drivers who just don't see him. Hope all is well on the healing end.

• balalaikagap
    16 years ago

Thanks emagineer, Linnea is a Swedish name. It's also a flower & the state flower of the Swedish province Småland!

The blog isn't mine, I just found it when I was browsing for photos of houses similar to mine. That guy happens to live in almost exactly the same house (probably laid out exactly the same inside too, it's kind of funny visiting neighbors & seeing everything the same as my house).

My place does have a lovely yard & lots of garden areas that the last tenant carved out. Lots of sun in back, so I can have a pretty spectacular vegetable garden for a lot this size. The yard & garden areas were what absolutely sold me on this house - I peeked in the back yard before I even looked inside & knew I had to have the house (unless there were major issues inside, which luckily there weren't)!

• gayle0000
    16 years ago

Hi everyone. I'm new to this forum, but have been on GW a long time.

I am in the process of buying a 1,566 sf home built in 1942. 972 sf is on the first floor. The remaining sf is basement, unfinished, but definitely habitable & not spooky. A true playland for my daughter. There's no 2nd floor. It's on a double lot in town and the lot is cute and very woodsy. It's got a 12x20 screened porch attached to the back (south) side of the house. Detached 1 car garage. It's everything I've ever really wanted.

I moved out of a 2700 sf house about a year ago (divorce...and it's a good thing!), came to my current 1000 sf apartment until I could find a place to buy for me and my 2 year old daughter.

I grew up in a small home, so having that big house fit the criteria of my "dream". After that silly marriage and the facade of "having it all", I knew I didn't want to have anything to do with all that house space and everything fake that went along with it. the only thing real about that house was all the $$ and time I put into it myself to try to make it cozy. I spent all my time cleaning, paying utility bills, and trying to keep an image up.

With that said, my only real concern for the new small house is the closet space in the bedrooms. I'm a clothes girl and that's my thing. Plenty of built-ins and storage in the house and basement for other "stuff"...but I've never been one to have and keep a lot of stuff to begin with. I'm not really concerned because I have plenty of options...it's more of an adjustment I'll have to figure out a solution for.

I'll post pics at some point. Saying hello to the folks on this forum and looking forward to the chats!
    Gayle

• ole_dawg
    16 years ago

mfrog,
    What you need to measure the humidity is a "Hygrometer" you can get one at a cigar store.

1eyedJack and the Dawg

• ole_dawg
    16 years ago

Hello,
    I have been a gawker for a while now. What I am planning is a VERY SMALL PLACE. I got the idea from a large two story storage shed I saw at HD. Only $7,500.00 on your slab! LOL
    16 x 16 with storage/sleeping loft. I would add a basement.

I would change it somewhat to allow for more headroom on the first and loft. Use 2 x 6 instead of 2 x 4. Very small kitchen and small Bathroom on the first floor. Basement would be the home for the WH/Laundry and workshop. Walk out type

I would also allow for beefing up the joist at the rear to allow for me to add a chain/cable hoist for when I can no longer climb up.
    I.e. Home made elevator.

Hyper insulate it to keep the energy bills down. Windows only with no sliding glass doors.

Land is still cheap up here in the up country of SC, but I would probably have to spend more on the land than framing in the house and doing the basement. Got to have water to garden you know.

So we are looking at a little over 700 sq ft. Only myself and the Dawg and would suit me just fine. I have already lived in a 25 x 25 square cottage with front porch so I can handle that.

My main concern? Living long enough to finish it.

• sandy523
    15 years ago

Hi, I'm Sandy and I currently live in Gainesville Florida in a 900 sq.ft. house with two small kids and my husband. We are about to move to a I believe around 1,300 sq ft 1930 house in Brooker Florida. We have completely gutted and fixed up the inside. I believe it was a crack house for a few years and then an elderly couple bought it and sold it to us. SO anyway, I love this forum and would love to meet some other Florida people. Or any people for that matter. I'm a stay at home mom so I'm bored a lot. LOL

• sandy523
    15 years ago

Actually husband just said it's more like 1,100 sq ft. Sorry. I forget because we bought it in October and are still waiting to get in it. I'll have to look at the house papers and see what it actually is.

• function_first
    15 years ago

Hello,

Another Kris here, and another from Massachusetts. For 9 years now we've lived in a 1950 Cape Cod, 1200 sq ft, but disproportionately large kids bedrooms in the attic/upstairs (about 400 sq ft up there), so about 800 sq ft for the main floor (kitchen, bath, living room, two bedrooms). We've also finished 400 sq ft in the basement (with a full bath, kitchenette and t.v. room). Biggest concern -- the 8x16 eat-in kitchen (no dining room). Second biggest concern -- tiny closets, and no linen closet. From what I've just written you'd think I don't like the house, nothing could be farther from the truth. I never thought I could love a house so much. It's nice to find others who seem to have similar feelings about their not-so-big houses.

Kris

• emagineer
    15 years ago

I wish we had a gallary to see all that has been done to our small homes. And am really enjoying all the new posts.

• agnesackneback
    15 years ago

My name's Heather. I live in Orange County, California. House is just about 1,000 sf 1958 ranch. Trying to pull some mid-century modern style out of it. But it's not going so well.

My biggest concern is what mistake am I gunna find next? Had a really bad GC in the beginning of our remodel and now just working our way through it with out going crazy.

• danihoney
    15 years ago

Hi I'm Danielle from central California. I'm not new to GW but I am new to this forum.
    We live in a 6 year old single story 1565sf tract home. There's four of us plus two dogs and two cats. I have been starting to feel discontent with our little place and wishing I had something larger. We aren't in a position to 'move up' so I came here to meet other people living and thriving in smaller homes.

My biggest concern right now is wondering how this house will contain two soon to be large teenage boys and what will become of this neighborhood after all of the foreclosures.

• angelcub
    15 years ago

Hi, I'm Diana. Hubby and I are Angel & Cubs fans, hence the screen name. We live and garden on the northern slopes of the San Gabriels in So.Cal. We had our home built 18 years ago, our design, built by a local builder. There was nothing here but the usual pinon pines, scrub oak and junipers but we've managed to make it into the cottage style we love. It's 1910 or 1030 s.f., depending on the appraiser one chooses to believe.

Our only concern right now is deciding on whether we want to continue living here when DH retires in a few years. All of So.Cal is growing exponentially but I hate to leave, as we're both natives and love being close to our sons. I also don't know where else I'd want to live. We've traveled quite a bit but nothing is jumping out at me or him. Guess we'll just see how the cards play out.

Diana

• angelcub
    15 years ago

That should have been 1910 or 1930 s.f. Wish this site had an edit button - sigh.

• anele_gw
    15 years ago

Hi, I'm anele from Illinois. I live in a 1500 (I think) sq ft Cape Cod from '59 with three young children, three cats, and one DH.

My concerns are just the basics . . .updating our very old bathrooms (for functional and aesthetic purposes). On the trivial side, I'm always trying to figure out how to give the house more character. The ideas are flowing but the cash is not, so most projects are still in the design phase. For the future, I'm wondering how long I can keep 3 children in the same bedroom.

• postum
    15 years ago

Hi - I'm Amy, San Francisco bay area. Live with DH, DD, and a small dog.

House size is difficult to determine. The house was built as a church (don't think fancy; think small town 1946.) The main living area (2/1, LR,DR, galley kitchen) is about 750sf.

We also have a semi-finished attic, but that is not counted as living space as nowhere is the ceiling higher than 6'. We use it as storage, but it is difficult to maneuver without whacking your head on a beam.

There is also a walk-out basement which is about 900sf. (This was the meeting hall for the church.) This includes an unfinished utility/laundry room. The rest of the space is finished and is DH's music studio (for lessons, rehearsals, recording etc.)

No garage, but we have a 10'x10' gardening shed.

Our lot is 75'x100' - very large for this area, and I love our garden.

Total space? no idea.

Main concerns:
    Storage! Priests don't need closet space, but we do.
    Tiny ugly bathroom!!
    Poor remodeling has made the layout of the house difficult to work with.
    Finding contractors to do small jobs. In this area, they don't want to touch anything under an $80,000 kitchen remodel.
    Keeping clutter under control. We are homeschooling and it is taking over everything.
    General decorating concerns - I want the house to be a pleasant, peaceful place, as well as functional. It is hard to get everything we need into place and still have it look halfway decent.
    I would like to finish the attic as a bedroom for dd, but don't know where to begin.

• emmhip
    15 years ago

Hi !!!
    My name is Erica, and I live in Warwick, Rhode Island. My DH, two kids, 1 dog and 2 cats, and myself live in a 1000 sq. foot ranch from the 50's. We've recently put on a new roof, and remodeled the kitchen. We are planning on a huge deck (current deck is small) this fall. We have a partially finsihed basement, where DH has his pool table (it is sort of a kid-friendly man-cave :)

Biggest concerns:
    I would love, love, love a dinning room. We love to have big dinners with friends and family, and we just all squeeze around the kitchen table. It's fun, but a dinning room would be great. I would love a larger living room, and higher ceilings, but otherwise, I am pretty happy with our small, cozy, house.

• jenseattle
    15 years ago

Hi!

I'm Jen and live in Seattle (suprise!) and my husband, Bernese Mountain Dog & I share a 900 sf bungalow built in 1942. Our big project right now is remodeling the kitchen, after which we will tackle the bath and some landscaping. We love our cozy house!

• cynandjon
    15 years ago

Im cindy, we are in NE pa. Our house is DIY we have been working on it for 3 years, and its going to be around 1600 sq ft. My biggest concern is by the time the house is done I will be in a nursing home!!!! LOL

• Nancy in Mich
    15 years ago

I am in Sterling Heights, MI in a 3 br 1 % 1/2 ba brick ranch. It is 1675 sq ft. We moved here two and a half years ago from a nearby city and a 3/1 at 1430 sq ft and a recently over-remodeled kitchen. We never though we would leave that house, but DH's dad moved in. The 5 steps down to let the dogs out multiple times a day, the loss of the extra bedroom that was my project area, and DH's new drive to a further location for work added up to discomfort in that home. Then I got hired at three times my income and we had the money to look at other houses. We found this house quickly, and two months after getting serious about moving, closed on a second house. It took a year and a half to get the old one into a rent-to-own situation, so we lost a lot of money that could have been used on this house. So far - by necessity - we have replaced the water heater, gas furnace, front door, and slider. We also redid the porch, adding a wheelchair ramp for Dad when his health failed. I already had aluminum wheelchair ramps for every one of the 4 elevation changes in the house (largest is 6 inches, smallest is 2 inches). We need to insulate the attic next, then replace all of the windows. Decorating and such will wait until after the house is no longer serving as a private nursing home. Currently, I am working on a low-cost project of landscaping. The foundation plantings were original 1978, and overgrown. The ramp construction put a pile-o-dirt in the front yard. So I had friends dig up the big bushes, plant them in the back yard, and dismantle the dry-stacked sandstone border rocks. I reshaped the front bed, added 60 bags of peat and topsoil, and planted my new bed. Once I get around to finishing the mulching and fix my little gutter-runoff stream, I will take pictures. That is my project for this summer.

• garymunson-2008
    15 years ago

Wife and I just completed a 1900 sq ft home in cent FL. Tried to use every cost effective strategy we could find to keep power bills low and hurricane resistance high. The efficiency planning seems to have paid off...now hurricane season is upon us...we'll see...Would have built smaller but didn't want to be the smallest home in the area.

• bzyathome
    15 years ago

Hi, I'm Marilyn in NW New Mexico. We live on 1/4 acre in a 1260 sq ft home. There's just DH & I but we raised 2 children in our small home. Rooms are small as we have a family room/dining room combo for this 3 bedroom, 2 bath home. We love our old house and our old yard with big trees. We strive to be energy efficient, living green as much as possible in our area.

I think the best benefit to a small home is the lower energy bills. I sure wouldn't want to cool off a 3000 sq ft home.....
    Nice to meet everyone.

• meldy_nva
    15 years ago

I'm Meldy and I'm in Northern Virginia. Came to GW about 15 years ago, lurk more than post.

Have a 65-year old, 1500± sf ranch-style; bought as a fixer-upper to update and re-sell. Family matters prevented the re-sale, and now we're into updating the fixes done 20 and 30 years ago.

No major concerns because this was one of those higher-quality custom-built houses with oak floors, real plaster walls, copper plumbing, and an all-brick exterior. It even has decent closet space! (Nothing like having an Admiral oversee the build to be sure it's done right; or maybe it was the admiral's wife, lol.)

After years of working with friends and relatives as they built houses, I'm happily [more or less] planning our retirement home, trying to get everything I want into 1200 sf.

• Melissa Houser
    15 years ago

I'm Lissa in southeastern FL. I live in my 2/2 with my DH and 1 ds full-time, 1 ds who visits part-time. Both of the boys are supposed to be leaving soon for work purposes, but.... Our house is a fixer on 1/3 of an acre. When we bought it, I was making killer money, but the mortgage industry drop has killed my money. ;)

I run a small business out of here and we have 2 dogs of our own and 1 that's "visiting" from SC, where DH's mom is having some health issues. My biggest concern is getting things done on a very tight budget right now.

The biggest project is the kitchen, which is in desperate need of a remodel. Apparently the PO had a huge water leak that she never reported to the insurance company, so the bottom cabinets are disintegrating inside. This, along with many other issues with no-maintenance for 20 years, is taking everything we've got to fix.

We're probably $15,000 and zillions of man-hours into fixing things up and there is very little in the slush money fund for projects. We're doing lots of painting and "surface" fixes for now, with an eye towards future bigger projects on a DIY basis. It's a good thing that DH and I are both handy, or we'd be in big trouble! ;)

• dayleann
    15 years ago

Oh, my goodness, it's been a while since I checked in and look at all the new folks! I think I was one of the first folks when this forum started, as I was thinking in terms of buying a cottage. I live alone except for three cats (I'm turning into a cliche).

I found it about 4 1/2 years ago, and had a lot of fun sharing it with other folks and planning what to do to fix it up. LOL- I had a four year plan and am just now starting year two (about 2 1/2 years late!). I have a tendency to want to garden rather than do house stuff.

The garden is starting to look great. The house... is still pretty much the way it was when I moved in, temporary kitchen and all. That's starting to change, though. The one big change inside is that slowly my art is taking over the space. My cottage is turning into a studio with attached bedroom! One of the upstairs rooms is my framing room and the other is full of stuff I don't use. It's supposed to be a guest room, but the bed is way off in the corner somewhere.

The house: Vermont Victorian era accretion, about 1300 sq ft, or so they say. That includes all the odd little spaces here and there that really need creative solutions to be usable. The core of the house is of unknown age, probably mid 1800s, post and beam on stacked stone cellar, 14x15 feet, one room down and one room up, stairwell, and a small enclosed cooking porch in back.

Over the decades it acquired a total of 8 additions- a little here, a little there-- which added two bedrooms, a decent sized living room full of light, a small but sweet dining room, a bath and mudroom, and a tiny pantry. And resulted in an 9x15 kitchen with no windows and eight doors, to which someone added a dropped ceiling with just 6'10" clearance. I kid you not. The ceiling is long gone, but the doors took creativity (I don't dare move any walls or change the layout).

But I got the house for cheap. The year before I bought it, it sat empty for a winter and suffered serious water damage to plaster along one side (I still live with lathe walls in two rooms). The three things I did before moving in was have it completely rewired, replaced aged water pipes, and had metal roofing put on the additions. It was still cheap.

My biggest concern right now: This year's fuel costs took installing a wood stove right to the top of my priorities. I just bought the stove and arranged to have a metal chimney installed for it. I've begun scraping the outside paint, and this summer all the corners and seams will be sealed and the worst of the windows rebuilt to reduce infiltration. Then: plasterboard to cover the lathe, and KITCHEN CABINETS!!! YAYYY!

Dayle Ann

• anicee
    15 years ago

I have not been here in awhile and remember you very well Dayle Ann and your sweet house and your carriage barn. Nice to see you here.

Anicée

• emagineer
    15 years ago

Dayle Ann...Do you sell your art? I paint in chalk pastels. What medium are you into? Would love to see a house full of ones' art. It does so much for our creativity and inner thinking.

• dayleann
    15 years ago

Hi, Anicee and Imagineer! Wonderful to see you still here!

Imagineer, I think we've PMed, or I've seen you somewhere else: an art forum? Well, I TRY to sell my art! Two galleries so far, still getting established. I do soft pastels too, also am working again in oils, but haven't taken any of those to the galleries yet. Nor my kiln worked glass, which is taking a hiatus while I work on the house (I had to make myself do this). Seeing my own work on the walls is depressing - I'd rather see it hanging on someone else's wall!

If I can figure out how to post images again, I'll post some before and after pics of the house-- what a difference a garden makes, even if the paint is still peeling!

Ok, here we go:

The day I decided to buy the house in March 2004:

July 2008: Still not painted, but garden is almost there!

I guess I should get back over to the Cottage Garden forum and post my progress pics too!

Dayle Ann

• emagineer
    15 years ago

Dayle Anne..PMd? Hmmm. Do you hang around Wet Canvas Pastels? I've been into all types of art also....but love soft pastels and messing with oil too right now. In CO, but lived in Corrales, NM a few years ago. There was an artist into glass. She created "miniature rooms" and had a huge studio, ovens, ect. Was known world wide with many of her pieces in museums.

Love your little house and I have a cottage garden too. It has grown beyond expected in 2 years. Will be transplanting this fall.

• grandmaquilts
    15 years ago

Hi,
    We live in Northern Saskatchewan, Canada in a 1000sq. ft. cottage by a lake. This is a resort area but there are a number of us who live here year round. It's by the Boreal forest and is a beautiful area. We're empty nesters but have children and grandchildren visiting especially in the summer. There is no basement as the water table is too high. My biggest concern is sleeping space when family is home, the rest of the time I love living in a smaller space. We moved from a five bedroom, three bathroom 2400 sq. ft. house so we've downsized a lot. Enjoy your smaller homes!

• sapphiregirl
    15 years ago

I'm new to the forum as well..I'm de and live in Florida with my hubby of 35 yrs. We have two grown children..that have finally flown the coop, but now have a 4yr.old grandson that loves staying with us..lol. We have two golden retrievers and one sassy cat.

We live in a 1400sq.ft. one story home,..not sure just what style you would call it. It's a CB (cement & brick). Built in 1973, 3bdrms., 2bths., oversize garage. It has an eat in kitchen, dinning room, living room. The only down side to this home is that one entire wall in the living room is glass sliding doors, (which goes out into the screen porch) another is sliding wooden doors going into the master bedroom, and a third is 1/2 open to the dinning area which there is a "stepup" seperatiing the dinning room and living room as well as two long planter walls on either side of the room. Other than that,..I am very pleased with our home. Originally from Long Island NY., I moved here with my family back in '73, and I have loved Florida ever since.

• mycupofjoe
    15 years ago

Hi!

I'm new to the forum but have been a long time lurker of gardenweb. :) My name is Erin and my husband and son and I live in NJ. Our house is a 1100sq ft cape cod. It was built in 1950 but had a fire and was rebuilt/fixed in 1985. We bought it in 2003.

My biggest concern is size. While we're a family of 3, things still get cramped. Especially when we have guests over. Although, I often feel like my home is homier than some of our friends larger homes.

This is our house (Halloween time, lol):
    {{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

• sugarski
    15 years ago

I'm Cara, I live in Northern NJ, and our house is a small 2-story Colonial (that sorta looks like a cottage/bungalow to me), built in 1939. I don't know the exact sf but it's under 1500: entryway, LR, DR, office, kitchen and powder room downstairs; 3 bedrooms (one very tiny) and a full bath upstairs. We also have an attic and semi-finished basement. My biggest concern is that there are 5 of us- me, my husband and 3 girls, the eldest of whom is almost a teenager. It's a sweet house and a lovely neighborhood, but I'm just not sure we can live here happily for too much longer... hard for any of us to get any privacy, and storage space is a big problem.

• xantippe
    15 years ago

Hi, we live in Portland, Oregon, in what was supposed to be a very briefly occupied starter house... but it's looking like we will be here a lot longer than planned (the housing market is rough here!). The house was built in 1929, so it's very charming. There's 900 feet on the main level and a partially finished basement. As for our biggest concern: it's that we need to fix many things (siding, windows, electrical) and want to make some upgrades, but the house is probably worth less than when we bought it. Tricky!

• sherwoodva
    15 years ago

Hi, I'm Christy. I just found this thread. We (DH and I) live in N. VA in a 1 1/2 story house built in 1938. Footprint is about 950 sf; it is on a 5000 sf lot (1/8 of an acre). Basement is about 800 sf. We finished the basement last year; adding insulation made a huge difference. First floor closets are tiny; the doors are only 24 inches wide. No foyer or coat closet, tiny DR. Attic ceiling is only 6 feet high, so it does not meet code for BR space. I am half way through insulating the attic - hauling out the old insulation and installing new insulation with vents.

The house is brick, but there is NO lathing - two layers of brick and then plaster. Someone told us that when the houses here were built (during the depression) they used whatever was cheap. We do have the original hardwood floors and brass plates/glass door knobs on the interior doors.

We have a computerized thermostat and keep the heat low (68) when we are home and 60 at night and when we are not home. Other way around in the summer - we don't crank the AC on high. Keeps the utility bills low.

As it is, so much heat leaks out of the house that the side of the car right next to the house rarely gets ice on it! We have a detached garage but have never tried to get the car in it as there wouldn't be enough space to get out of the car!

• graycern
    15 years ago

I'm Carrie. I am from Ontario, Canada. I live in a 1680 sq ft. brick house in a subdivision. Built in 1990, it is a 2 storey with a small front porch. When it was built they tried to make it look old fashioned with a gable in the middle of the 2 story and gingerbread trim.

My house is not open concept at all. It has a bunch of small rooms. I like the privacy of having separate rooms for different functions. We are a family of 4 and there is always a quiet place to go.

The main concern with our home is the age. When it was built everything was basic builder grade. Things are wearing out. We have replaced the roof, some taps and all the flooring in the house. We are facing some major expenses in the next few years when we wil need to replace our aging heating/AC systems, wood windows, cheap melemine cupbords and laminate counters that are wearing out.

• kristin_flower
    15 years ago

Wow, this thread is almost a year old!

I live in a 135 year old 1,000 square foot house. My biggest concerns are items that will need replacement in the coming years including the roof, siding, and appliances.

{{gwi:232192}}

• FlowerLady6
    15 years ago

This is a wonderful thread with so many participants. I can't believe I didn't post in here when it started. I hope some of you are still lurking and look forward to seeing posts from you about your homes, gardens, etc.

Our little cottage is around 700 sq ft. which was built in 1950-1951. We live in s.e. FL. on 1/3 of an acre. We've lived here since 1973, and have made improvements and built outbuildings (with permits) over the years. Gardening is my favorite hobby, which is possible 365 days a year here.

We are working on decluttering, remodeling, and living each day.

Thank you all for posting in this thread. It's nice to know there is a 'community' of us small home dwellers. Do come back and post again. We all need inspiration and encouragement to live large and fully in our small homes.

May you all have a wonderful 2009.

FlowerLady

• shasta_2008
    15 years ago

We live in Ohio and bought a 1270 1952 ranch. We have replaced the roof, put hardwood floor in the kitchen and updated our kitchen which isn't completed yet. (DH has back issues) so we've been on hold for the last 7 years.
    We repainted the outside twice (didn't like the first color which was supposed to be beige but turned out a peachy color), did some landscaping and updated our little shed out back. We have trim to stain and install which hopefully we'll get around to doing in the spring.
    I like looking at all of the big houses and yes, they are beautiful but I like mine, one floor and the perfect size. I couldn't imagine cleaning a house larger than 1500! I love all of the ideas garden web, there is always someone to chime in if you have a problem or a question!

Happy New Year to all!

• annebert
    15 years ago

I just discovered this forum and read this post with interest. My guest cottage on what used to be a horse farm is 600 ft square on a slab. No basement, no attic. It's interesting to see what other people consider small.

After 4.5 years, I'm over most of my adjustment to moving here from a 3000 ft square antebellum farm house. Being able to keep the house clean is wonderful. I have jettisoned a lot of stuff over time, but storage for books, CDs, and LPs (!) is still an issue. I rent, but have great landlords who are open to my making modifications. I'm running out of wall space for shelves or cabinets, though.

Some of the space-saving adjustments I've made:
    Flat screen TV (no longer need a large cabinet for TV to stand on) I don't really watch TV, mostly use this to watch DVDs, may eventually just stick with my IMac
    Undercabinet hanging glassware racks for stemware
    Pots and pans hanging on hooks
    Hotel-style towel shelf in bathroom
    "living room" furniture is wicker - I can move it around easily to make space for yoga practice

The next thing on my biggest concern list is transferring all my LPs and tapes to CD to cut down on the amount of space they take.

• TxMarti
    15 years ago

I live in a house that started at 1406 sq ft when we moved in. We have since closed in the garage so we now have about 1800 square feet, plus a separate garage and storage building. My biggest concern is storage and clutter; this house has very little storage and tiny bedrooms, and we still have all the stuff that came out of a much larger house with a lot of storage. My goal this year is to sort and cull - everything must have a place.

• buddyrose
    15 years ago

hi, Rose in New Haven, CT. I just bought a Cape Cod Bungalow built in 1918. So far I've replaced all the windows and upgraded both electric and plumbing to code. I have a gorgeous, small backyard with a pergola and arbor and water garden. The front of the house has an enclosed porch that's not heated but is great in warmer weather. I've never tried to post photos here so hope the link works. My big concern is that the house needs so much work in addition to the two car garage that's a bit of a disaster. But I love it.

Here is a link that might be useful:

• buddyrose
    15 years ago

This is the middle of the back yard this past August '08. The water garden is on the other side of this pergola. rose

Here is a link that might be useful:

• crystal386
    15 years ago

buddyrose--what a sweet house!

• buddyrose
    15 years ago

thanks crystal386. it's funny how little the TinyPics site makes it look. It's actually not quite a "doll's house". I'm still figuring out how to size my photos for these forums. I think if you click on the tiny pic it enlarges. (yes, I just clicked here in the "preview" and the photos enlarge. HURRAY)

I love this thread because I'm so over those MacMansions and love smaller homes. Excellent idea for a thread jasonmi7. I love looking at the photos.

Here is a link that might be useful: TinyPic

• declansmom
    15 years ago

I'm a little late to the party, as usual!!!
    My name is Barbara (Declan is my dog). My husband and I and one of our 3 sons (along with Declan) live here in our tiny 1350 sq.ft. Sears built home in Larchmont, NY.
    I adore this little house. My biggest concern is trying to
    keep up with paying the astronomical taxes here in Westchester County. I may be forced to move in the next few years.
    {{gwi:1591332}}

• buddyrose
    15 years ago

I LOVE IT!!!!! Your house is like a gorgeous doll house and I mean that in the nicest way. And I think that's a Viburnum bush with the white flower. gorgeous. I'm jealous that you have a fireplace. It's the only thing missing from my bungalow.

I finally figured out how to put a photo in the post instead of just a link. Here's the front and part of the back garden. rose

{{gwi:56582}}

• declansmom
    15 years ago

Hi Rose.....just saw your post.
    Thanks for the compliments.
    Your home is gorgeous, too.
    Your back garden is absolutely beautiful.
    That is a Kousa Dogwood tree in front of the fireplace. It is the very first thing I planted when we moved here!
    Where are you located?

• buddyrose
    15 years ago

declansmom, of course, a flowering dogwood. I should have recognized it since there's one in front of my co-op. My Cottage is in New Haven, CT right off the Long Island Sound but I live most of the time in Jackson Heights, NY in a Co-op. I just bought the Cottage a few months ago. And I love it. I could never live in a large house. this is a fun thread.
    rose

• jeanjeanie
    15 years ago

Hi all! I'm a new homeowner in western WA state. We bought our little post-war bungalow (?)-type house a few months ago. It's just over 1100 sq feet. I think the size is perfect and I love all the little details. The house has been recently updated (wiring, plumbing), but the yard needs serious help. I'm totally out of my element as I'm a city girl who raked her first pile of leaves a few months ago and had to look up on the internet how to "weed." But I love the house and can't wait for spring to start trying to plant something. It's inspiring for me to read these posts and see your photos. Looking forward to seeing and contributing more!

• caligal
    15 years ago

Hi, I am Lauri from So. Cal. I live in a 1980's tract home. It is 980 sq. ft. I do like that it has 2 bathrooms and 3 bedrooms, even if they are small. What I don't like is that it is a tract home. I would really love to live in a cottage, craftsman, or bungalow style home.

We just finished our kitchen and I love it now! I am now moving on to the bathrooms. Speaking of.... where on GW is a good place to ask about pocket doors.

Oh, loved all your pics!

Sponsored
EA Home Design
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars69 Reviews
Loudoun County's Trusted Kitchen & Bath Designers | Best of Houzz