Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
desertsteph

I need your HELP / input on a possible project

desertsteph
9 years ago

While we're waiting for updates from ML, can someone jump in with some possibilities for me?

I have 2 (that's 2!) lower cabs that are about 10" wide (maybe 10.25 or 10.5 but what's that to this problem?).

Each is divided in 2 by a shelf. I don't know if the shelves can easily come out. They can't for me - that means I can't just lift them out. Maybe strength / a hammer from the underside would do it.

Anyway... What would you use them for? Wish I thought I could have a slide out put into them but who can get back in that tiny space to screw in a slide out thingy? I have no miniature elves around here...

I probably could use them for things like the cookie sheet, muffin tin (that I don't have) etc - a few on each shelf. In hopes they hold each other up a bit. things like that might work for 1 of them, then I'd be out of stuff. They're now in a drawer with a divider.

If I had tiny elves I'd have them all made into slide outs.

Comments (17)

• Shades_of_idaho
    9 years ago

I have one cabinet this way Steph. I put my cookie sheets and muffin tins on the bottom on their sides and my 13 by 9 pan with lid. I use a wide spaced coated wire rack to hold everything.

On the top shelf I put my glass baking dishes. I have three stacked inside each other and on the side of them I keep my glass meatloaf pan. In the very back of the top shelf I have a few pie tins and cake pans. They do not get in the way of the glass baking pans.

What did not fit in this cabinet went away. I have not missed anything.

• User
    9 years ago

Look at RevAShelf web site they have all sorts of sizes of inserts. I had a slim cab too. As I recall, the frame was without the shelves until after I screwed it down.

• desertsteph
    Original Author
    9 years ago

shades - thx. I do have a few glass pie plates - not that I make pies or use them for that. I do use them (seldom) to mix things in. Putting them there would free up the space they now take up for something else that is more often used.
    and I'll see how it works out for my cookie sheet and future muffin tin. they'd be on a top shelf. the pie plates are much less used so they'll go on bottom.

ML - I don't understand the last line about frames w/o the shelves...

I am off to look at rev a shelf site. It'd have to be something that can be attached to the bottom shelf/floor of cab.

• bbstx
    9 years ago

Sister has a similar set up in her new house, except I believe her cabinet is wider (12-14" maybe). They wanted to use it for a trash pull out. IIRC, they talked to either the builder or the cabinetmaker who told them the shelf was integral to the sturdiness of the cabinet. They did not remove the shelf. You might check with a pro before you take out the shelf. Sorry to rain on your parade. :-(

• movinginva
    9 years ago

If you can manage to remove the shelf and get in there you can possibly put a pull out garbage can like this one.

http://m.homedepot.com/p/Knape-Vogt-18-75-in-x-9-38-in-x-20-in-In-Cabinet-Pull-Out-Trash-Can-PSW10-1-35-R-P/202808802/

Here is a link that might be useful: Pull out garbage can

• Shades_of_idaho
    9 years ago

Steph like bbstx said I would not remove the shelf. I know in my cabinets if I took out the shelf the whole thing would wobble. It is part of the brace. The cabinets we have in our manufactured homes are not like ikea or box built cabinets.

I keep my pie plates on a shelf in the cupboards. I use them a lot in the microwave.

• desertsteph
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I found a possibility ... IF the top shelf will come out to allow room to screw this thing into the 'floor' of the cab.
    maybe the shelf could then be put back in place - with another one of these on it.

Here is a link that might be useful: revashelf

• desertsteph
    Original Author
    9 years ago

bbstx and shades - that might be the case as on one side of one is the side panel to the opening for the stove and to one side of the other is the side panel to the opening for dw.
    I'd have Jed be very careful - and then put them back in with another slide out thing on them.

thx movinginva - I thought it was a great idea and I'm still glad to see something like that available at HD (local), then I remembered that I only need a rather small trash bin (I don't have that much 'garbage' type trash. I probably only need one to hold about 3-4 gals (size for T or W type plastic bags). BUT, I do think I should start using one for paper /cardboard type trash. I wouldn't mind having paper type 'trash' on a lower shelf with something like soda bottles or water jugs above it.

• Shades_of_idaho
    9 years ago

Steph if your cabinets are like mine, being we both have manufactured homes, the side panels are not strong enough to hold a rev-a-shelf. There is nothing but the thin wood to screw to. See my link there are many many racks to hold cookie sheets and cake pans and pie plates all in one space.

Here is a link that might be useful: Cupboard racks.

This post was edited by shades_of_idaho on Sun, Jan 4, 15 at 0:39

• desertsteph
    Original Author
    9 years ago

shades - somewhere on the page for the one I posted it said it was side or bottom mount. It'd have to be a bottom mount anything in these cabs. There isn't room for an arm/hand to get in there and drill or screw into the side. Unless those little tiny elves show up...

btw, looking at the site you posted I got very hungry... went out and made me some toast and hot chocolate!

• llucy
    9 years ago

I've seen many pic's of using simple tension rods in cupboards to separate cookie sheets, muffin tins, large pot/pan lids. You might want to google for that.

In my kitchen, I use those back half shelves for seldom used items and the sturdier plastics I store stacked with their lids in place. The cheapie plastics I use every day and am willing to give away with left overs, etc., are stacked on the bottom shelf.

If you keep certain liquors on hand that only get used by guests, they can be stored on those back shelves also.

• desertsteph
    Original Author
    9 years ago

this looks to be a good option for these cabs. 9" w, looks to be floor mount and a good price.

take a look

Here is a link that might be useful: container store

• funkycamper
    9 years ago

At your link, even though the mesh glider is described as being 9" wide, the description says it will fit cabinets measuring 17-21". I wonder if the systems the gliders glide on need a lot more width? In the pictures the system doesn't look that wide. I dunno.

If they don't work as supplied, I wonder if you could simply put a wide enough strip of molding inside the cabinet for the glider...oh, let's just call it a drawer...to rest on and then you could pull it forward and lift it out when you need to access something in it.

Is it close to your sink? Maybe a slide out towel bar to dry dish towels? See link.

Here is a link that might be useful: 3 prong slide-out towel bar

• Shades_of_idaho
    9 years ago

Now those look great if I can figure out how to do it. Much less weight. I like the things can not slip through.

• Shades_of_idaho
    9 years ago

Guess I stuttered sorry.

This post was edited by shades_of_idaho on Mon, Jan 12, 15 at 18:19

• desertsteph
    Original Author
    9 years ago

funky - I saw that. I'd check with them in advance of ordering to be sure. They do have them wider - not sure why they put those measurements in the description.
    but a good solid metal 'basket' wouldn't be bad either...

I've thought about those slide out towel racks but decided I didn't want a damp towel/rag behind a closed door. Even tho it's dry out here. I had a 3 prong towel rack (old fashioned kind) put up over the counter (next to fridge). I hang 'em there to dry out.

shades - where did you stutter? They do make some in the coated wire open holey type stuff. I figure the bottoms of these would be more solid.

I found a place that makes up wooden pull out 'drawers' too - but the sides are only about 1.5 -2" high.

• shelayne
    9 years ago

We have one of those 6" pullouts in a lower cabinet. It is bottom-mounted. They come in various widths. If you had the full height of the cabinet, this could be an option.

Here are some--

http://www.rockler.com/base-cabinet-pullout-organizers-rev-a-shelf-448-series-pullout-organizers

I would make sure that the shelf wasn't to stabilize the cabinet, first.

This post was edited by shelayne on Tue, Jan 13, 15 at 9:11

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!