Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
eatrealfood

Marti8 UCL options

EATREALFOOD
11 years ago

Hi Marti
I think you mentioned that you might sell the house soon. How about T4 Florescent bars from Pegasus lighting. They have different temperatures and your electrician should know how to direct wire them. Call Pegasus and ask what you would need to order to do this. They show a few diff. types on their website and they have a slim profile(check spec sheet for measurements)

Comments (15)

• EATREALFOOD
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Here's the link for pegasus.
    The only reason I bring this up is that you will probably sell so you should save the LED's for your next house.I did not price out these T4's but did buy T5 for cove lighting.
    I am so up in the air at the moment regarding how long I will stay here that I went with what I really wanted.

Here is a link that might be useful: pegasus

• Shades_of_idaho
    11 years ago

ERF those are really nice.

• EATREALFOOD
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Yes Shades, the fluorescents are much nicer & slimmer today. I think having the lights direct wired and operated by a wall switch are a nice option if one didn't want to put in the LED's. I'm not sure how the warm florescents look compared to the LED's. I am using t5 for cove(they are not up yet) they are VERY BRIGHT. I am thinking of painting the ceiling a pale gray/blue so these lights will work out fine. I won't have the cove lighting on at the same time as the task lighting. I have the task lighting LED's on 90% of the time until I can replace my pendant incandescent bulbs with LED bulbs(not CFL-hate them)

• User
    11 years ago

I think we need to find a better acronym for EatRealFood. Somehow, erf doesn't sound right with eating good food. lol

I think I looked at those, or some just like them. This is what I bought (2 sets), and what it looks like when I'm sitting at the table.
    {{gwi:2067605}}

I bought spots instead of bars because I only planned on putting them on the two long work areas. On the two short areas, I was going to use the battery operated spots. However, now that I've used one set of these lights, I don't know that I would ever have the battery operated and these on at the same time. These are so bright, and I like that while working, but they don't have a dimmer so I wouldn't just leave them on.

This is the electric outlet dh & the electrician thought would be best. It's not visible while I'm standing, but it bugs me that a cord has to be strung down there.

{{gwi:2067606}}

I've complained about it and said I wanted it changed but dh said it was done, the sheetrock was done, and there's no changing it.

However.

This is what the electrician did on the other side.
    {{gwi:2067608}}

We figured he screwed the plug there as a reminder to install it there, and then forgot about it. So, sheetrock finished or not, that has to be fixed, so the other side might as well be fixed too. That's my thinking anyway. I think I'll find a different electrician though, and schedule him on a day I know dh will be gone all day. I'm also not wild about the way the microwave fits on it's shelf and think I'll have that plug moved at the same time.

• User
    11 years ago

Oh & yes, I really like my counters now.

• EATREALFOOD
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Hi Marti
    I've been out all day at my food coop. It's a little more that 1 hr each way and now I need to serve dinner(DH is up at 4:30 am). I will write back soon.

Ps I am glad you like your counters.

• User
    11 years ago

Thanks. I took those lights down right after taking the photo.

• EATREALFOOD
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Marti--
    Here was my reaction:
    :( :(:( HORRIBLE. I have one question for the electrician: Would his wife like that set up ? If he knew you had planned on plug in UCL why didn't he at least mount the outlet under the cabinets?
    Just for knowledge(and knowledge is a great thing to have when you are doing a reno yourself!) I would post those photos on lighting.
    This is what I would ask:
    What is proper installation for plug in UCL's ? This installation does not look correct.
    That's all.
    I would love to hear what the others say.

I'll tell you my saga... I had outlets installed at the top for cove lights(unfortunately we didn't bring cabinets to the ceiling because of $$$) and an electrical box under the cabinets for a transformer(low voltage UCL) after we installed used cabinets. Well after living with the cabinets for longer then I care to remember OUT THEY WENT(I was washing dishes in the bath for a long time-too long), you've read my post about this.. The person who installed the transformer box (it wasn't his fault)didn't know about direct wired UCL-He showed me pucks from home destruction. I asked and asked why can't I get better lights than what's available at home destruction. We went to an electrical store, their lights were expensive and I still wasn't sure I liked them. We hired an electrician who showed me strip LED's. I hated them, too dull.
    I researched UCL found the Philips LED bars and that was my decision.
    After New cabinets are In:
    The previous workman added one outlet, so I now had one outlet each side of the room. My DH says that's fine we'll leave it (in all fairness he just didn't know about increasing functionality). Uh NO WAY IN HELL says I. I added 3 more. And yes we had to cut big holes in the sheetrock to move the switchbox and to add the outlets. And yes my DH had to repair said sheetrock.
    So now I have 1 wall mount and 1 under cabinet mount outlets on sink side and 3 wall outlets(yes 3!) on the pantry side. Oh and DH didn't think the under cabinet outlet was necessary-just put one on the wall says he. Uh NO. I added 12in next to the sink for a juicer/blender or my beloved Farberware percolator and the outlet should be tucked away. What would he have said if I insisted on Plugmold $$$$ like others do ? he has no idea how good he has it !!!!
    My original kitchen was on one wall before(fridge, small counter, sink squished next to window) with one 4 hole outlet(useless). I added 7ft of counter on the other wall and I'll be damned if I was only going to have one outlet there. My DH uses the outlets all the time...It's not the fact that we GC'd it ourselves, it's those damn used cabinets that threw off my thinking about placement of outlets etc.

Next time I'll tell you the story of when he kicked me out of the apt. in the winter and I trudged off(on icy streets) and bought my sink, filter, and faucets...boy was he surprised
    I lived here and ate dust during a 2 year reno, didn't have a bath for weeks or toilet for a week, washed dishes in the sink, still cooked every meal(aside from 2 lunches out when the cabinets were being installed so I refuse to look at anything in this apt. that I don't like.(I'm still annoyed that the new ceiling on one side of the kitchen is not level) I have made this clear to DH and my cat backs me up on this too. AND we are still not finished....
    You put a lot of work into those cabinets and the fridge panels, NOTHING should make you unhappy when you walk into that kitchen in the morning. NOTHING.

• EATREALFOOD
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I realize you took them down but didn't acknowledge that in my post so maybe the solution is just repositioning the outlet...

• User
    11 years ago

My back hurts just reading about you washing dishes in the bathtub. ;)

I don't know why dh & the electrician thought this was the way to do it. I've been in the electrician's house and I don't know if they have under counter lighting. Their kitchen is brand new so they probably do. I did ask his wife over to look at this and get her opinion and it was the same as mine. He is just like dh, and didn't want to mess with doing it any other way I think.

I'll post on the electrical board and see what they suggest.

• EATREALFOOD
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I'll look for your post.
    Remember Marti8 it's a small thing that can be rectified now before the BS goes up. Make it look the way you like, nice clean & tidy.

ps-I did hurt my neck doing the dishes because my tub is 18in deep ! I won't ever have to do dishes in a bath again--next renovation I'm not going to live in the space. I am going to renovate on Skype to my DH...put everything I like in a shipping container and ship to him.

• User
    11 years ago

LOL, I like that idea. I'm not living in my next reno either. That probably means we'll have to buy two fixers and live in one while we work on the other.

• EATREALFOOD
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Next time I hire an electrician or anyone I want to go to their house and see what they have done there.
    Caveat: A friend of ours in Ireland : husband builds & installs kitchens, It took her ages & ages to get a new kitchen...so maybe that idea of checking out their space won't work ! She cooked for years on a 5ft wall(6 children).

• User
    11 years ago

Hey, ERF, I checked out the Pegasus lighting, and really like them.

I was planning on having a shelf installed completely around the kitchen and the dining room, and on the edge putting a sort of molding to hide LED rope lighting. I think you can connect up to 48 feet of such, so that gets one plug-in strand around a 12 foot square room. I could have a pair of outlets put in above that shelf (at a height above the doors/windows) and the plugin could be set on a dimmer to lower the lighting. With that shelf going all the way around the room, I envision it giving the effect of a coved ceiling, and the white ceiling will bounce the light back down into the room for nice even lighting.

Marti, the way that electrician did the work was criminal, and totally disrespectful of your wishes. What was he thinking! I know I've had to deal with bad elec jobs myself.

For instance, the first electrician who worked on the bathroom for us SAID he was installing a smoke alarm which was hardwired and battery powered too. Well, when DH was adding the crown molding in the bedroom, he had to take the smoke alarm down to put up the crown. That's when he found out the hardwiring was NOT attached, just a battery, and the wires were alive in the wall with NO tape or nuts on them. He could have burned us down. I was horrified, but those guys will do that to a woman just about every time. Which is why I'm glad that DH is due back before this next big job begins.

I'm also looking for a great plumber because they do the gas installations too. I have a friend whose DH is a commercial plumber owns his own company, and I'm about to ask her to MAKE him do our job. :) I really must have my Bertazzoni range installed perfectly. But I digress.

• EATREALFOOD
    Original Author
    11 years ago

moccasin-Ask a lot of questions as I am not sure what lighting is appropriate for that type of cove. I cannot wait to see pictures.
    I KNOW my kitchen cove will be bright as I bought T5, so I might paint the ceiling a color that goes with the slate look floor(maybe pale gray/blue) We'll see...

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, OH