Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
judyr908

Need help with small house and dormers

judyr908
10 years ago

Hello all....

My husband and I downsized from 3000sf to a cottage of 600 sf on first floor, full basement with high ceilings, and one bedroom on the second floor. There is only one bathroom and we are both 50 and we have a 5 & 7 year old, and two adult kids who do not live at home but come home for overnight stays maybe 6 -7 times a year. The foot print of the house is 22 x 30 but upstairs you loose so much because of the sloped ceilings. We need another bathroom and I thought if we make two bedrooms upstairs and a full bathroom, we could use the two bedrooms on the first floor as a dining room and a family room. So with that being said, should I dormer the whole second floor instead of just one side? We downsized for financial reasons, so we are trying to do what is most economical, yet we plan on retiring in this house. Is there a way to post a sketchup plan? I have one put don't know how to post it so you all can see what I mean?

Comments (4)

• lavender_lass
    10 years ago

I know I've seen some Cape Cod remodels (on TV) with a big shed dormer in the back. This is usually for a bedroom on each side and bath in the middle. It provides a nice (higher) window over the tub and light in both bedrooms. It will also give you more head room in the bedrooms, but there is usually a second window (one on each end of the home) and maybe some small dormers on the front.

A shed dormer will often have multiple windows, to disguise the walls that actually exist on the inside. So, one long dormer, with several smaller windows (from the outside) is actually three windows in the bathroom and two in each bedroom.

Hope this helps :)

• Shades_of_idaho
    10 years ago

I posted this from Nancy's Bathroom plan post. Too lazy to think it out again for you.

Do you know how to do a print screen? Paste it to your paint program and save as a jpg.

There is a print screen KEY on keyboard usually upper right corner. Just press key like typing. Nothing happens you will notice but it will put the whole page on your clip board. Then open paint, new window, and click paste and your whole page will come up. Crop and save as JPG and then you can load it up here. If it is too large in your Adobe then go to top and reduce down to?75% or whatever you think we can still see then do the print screen. Learn it you are gonna love it. :^)

Once you have done this then go to CHOOSE File just above this post box and browse to your file click on it and it will upload it to your post box here. you might not see it but it will be there when you post.

Some one here quite awhile ago did a long shed like dormer on her house. It was really pretty. Trying to remember who it was. At the bottom,almost of the main post page is also a search feature. You might try searching for dormers. Or shed roof dormer and see what comes up. I personally think it is a great idea.

chris

• Shades_of_idaho
    10 years ago

Ah I was lucky and the one I was thinking about popped up first.

Here is a link that might be useful: Shed roof dormer

• Nancy in Mich
    10 years ago

I was lucky and someone came along in Houzz and gave me the scoop on how to save an image of my SketchUp work. In SketchUp, when you have the picture you want on the screen, click on the "File" heading in the upper left. Then go down and click on "export" and then slide over to the right and click on "2D Graphic," a box will pop up and you have to put a name of the picture you are going to make in the box. Choose what kind of file you want to make (like jpeg) from the drop-down menu, and click "Export". Be sure to check where the file is going to be saved, above, too. You get much nicer pictures this way than I was getting in my thread. Here is one.