Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
idie2live

Heating Options for Additions

idie2live
12 years ago

I am wondering if anyone here is using some type of supplemental heating for an addition or a basement.

I am building a small addition (240 sq ft) and I do not think my heat pump is big enough to heat and cool it. I do not want to change my heat pump just yet (maybe in another 5-6 years, I hope) so we have been exploring other options. One of the options I am considering is the type of unit hotels use (I think they are electric).

I know some people have baseboard heat, in-floor radiant, some use gas heaters (which I am not comfortable with), wood (uh, NO! I'm too lazy). Oh my! Seems like I'm eliminating everything!

I just hate to have to replace my unit before it dies a natural death.

Ideas, thoughts - anyone.

Comments (4)

• flgargoyle
    12 years ago

The hotel ones are similar to a mini-split, or ductless heat pump. They are very energy-efficient, and come in a variety of sizes. That's what we're going to use in our new home in SC.

• TxMarti
    12 years ago

For 240 feet, I'd probably get something portable, so you can get rid of it after you upgrade your heat pump. What kind of room is it? If you are going to put a fireplace in the room anyway, you might consider a gas heater that looks like fireplace. Be sure to get one that is vented if you go that route. We bought an unvented for our garage conversion before we could afford to replace the heater, and it puts out fumes as well as moisture. When we can, I want to replace it with a vented kind. Sure puts out the heat though.

In the garage, I use an electric portable and it heats up that space fairly quickly. It's about 250 sq feet with 2 garage doors that let in some air.

• kirkhall
    12 years ago

I think a ductless heat pump could be a good option (depending on where you live). However, that is a more permanent option, as they aren't inexpensive (not sure they'd be worth only a 5 yr tearout plan). I think if I were planning to tear out in 5 yrs, I'd do electric baseboard or similar. Or, replace my whole unit now (and see increased energy savings with a more efficient unit anyhow).

• idie2live
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Believe it or not I've been obsessing about the heating issue for several months. I've thought about electric wall heaters, gas wall units and the mini-split. Then, the contractor told me to just wait until the HVAC guy could come out and then we could make a decision. DUH!

I saw the HVAC contractor today and he had good news. He said that my unit should be able to handle 1200 sq ft and my new sq footage will be approx 1178. So my plan is to give it a shot.
    Cooling is the bigger issue here. I'm in South Carolina, about 60 miles from the coast, so our summers are hot and out winters are relatively mild. (Every time it is going to be below freezing it is still a big deal, lol.
    Hopefully it will be adequate until I can afford to replace it with a newer, more effecient unit.

Wow! all of that obsessing for nothing.

I'm going to start a new thread about the room. Thanks all
    Loretta

Sponsored
Innovative & Creative General Contractors Servicing Franklin County