Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
movinginva_gw

Please, please show me your tiny bathroom

movinginva
9 years ago

I would really like to see anything in the 30 square foot range. Does anyone have on here have a bathroom that small?

Comments (14)

• aurorawa
    9 years ago

Mine has been recently finished. Pardon the lack of backsplash (we just finished that, so it's not in the pic. It is a copper and stone mosaic backsplash).

View of vanity:

{{gwi:2137430}}

And turn to the right, view of shower/tub:

{{gwi:2137431}}

Not pictured is the (entire, you can see the handle)new toilet, which is RIGHT beside the vanity, or the window, which is opposite the vanity/toilet. Small, but easy to keep clean.

• User
    9 years ago

I have a 3/4 bath (just a shower) that is probably 24-27 square feet.

The door is in the middle of one wall, with the tiny sink (by Porcher) opposite. The American Standard Cadet III low-flush toilet is to the left. The tiled shower is to the right. I put a marine grade waterproof light fixture inside the shower up high. The glass globe has a rubber gasket which seals the fixture against spray, and the switch turns on both bathroom lights at once. A second switch is to the vent fan. The shower and the floor are tiled. A beadboard wainscoting comes just above sink height all around the space. Three shelves are above the toilet. No medicine cabinet, but I suppose it would help if I added one later on.

Hope I can find a picture for you. My computer is not letting me access my 30 gig of photos for some reason. Here are two I took just now with my phone and uploaded for you.
    {{gwi:2137432}}
    {{gwi:2137433}}

The contractor was a friend until he failed to move the sink wall as deep as the shower wall, and I had to hurry up to find a sink small enough for the space. The one I got is made by Porcher and I think it is called the ELFE. I bought it from Vintage Tub & Bath.around 2009 maybe.

I bet you won't find a bathroom any smaller than this.

• movinginva
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Are those baths you use everyday, and how comfortable are they? They both look really nice.
    @moccassinlanding, how big is your shower?

• User
    9 years ago

Okay, here are more pictures I took just this morning.
    {{gwi:2137434}}

This shot is of the shower pan covered in the porcelain mosaic tile same Italian tile brand as the large format 16 inch squares on the walls of the shower, and on the floor of this tiny bath (and our sun porch as well). The wall with the shower spa hardware is 30 inch deep. The width of the shower is 36 inch. It is 8 foot high.
    {{gwi:2137435}}

Shaving mirror on Pulse shower spa hardware,
    {{gwi:2137436}}

Shelf inset into the wall is handy.
    {{gwi:2137437}}

• Shades_of_idaho
    9 years ago

I measured and our bath is 5 by 8 so a little bit bigger than you are asking about. It is a pass through bath from back door laundry room into bath then hall and guest room is right across the hall. We use both our bathrooms except when guests come then we stay out of their bath.

You can see the shower over tub side in the mirror.

This post was edited by shades_of_idaho on Sat, Jan 3, 15 at 19:46

• aurorawa
    9 years ago

That is my Master Bath, so, yes, it is used every day. It can be very uncomfortable if the Mr. and I are both in there. Thank goodness for different work schedules!

• sloedjinn
    9 years ago

This is my current bathroom. Its five by six, so 30 sq ft. We also do have a very small linen closet just outside the room for storage of stuff like toilet paper. Unseen is a small cabinet over the toilet for medicine cabinet overflow, the cat litter box wedged between the sink and toilet, the towel hooks behind the door and the radiator on the wall opposite the sink.

It's not a great bathroom by any means. It's just fine for one person at a time. Or one person, one cat. You can do what you need to do. It's the nicest bathroom I've ever had, but I've lived in some pretty terrible homes in the past.

It can be very uncomfortable when the two people try and share it. The radiator is steam, not hot water. It gets very, very hot and bare hiney plus hot radiator is a bad combo, as there really isn't adequate clearance for one to walk behind someone standing at the sink. Also, you have shut the bathroom door before you sit on the toilet because there isn't room to do it afterwards.

I think even one more foot in either direction would make a huge difference with the comfort level of the room. At least I would be able to walk past my husband shaving at the sink without a hot rear.

When we move to the new place, the bathroom,will be something like three times the size of this one. What I would do if I had they money is carve the one huge bathroom into a modest but sizeable full bath plus a powder room.

• oneblueonebrown
    9 years ago

This is the bathroom in the house we just sold, it was a little less than 30 sq ft. We took it down to the studs and replaced everything except for the original bathtub.

We are a family of 4 plus a dog (who likes to be wherever we are) and it was super tight trying to get our kids to bed at night or juggle shower usage but I think we did the best we could with the space.

• shelayne
    9 years ago

oneblueonebrown, we have the same bathroom as you. Well, the same footprint anyway. We even have a similar vanity. :)

I will post a photo when I have access to them.

• movinginva
    Original Author
    9 years ago

@moccassin, is your bathroom considered up to code? From some of the reading I've done, it seems like the minimum for a bath is somewhere around 30sqft. Should I be concerned it my bath turns out to be slightly smaller? All this reading about code etc. has me a bit worried.

• Laurenolot
    9 years ago

oneblueonebrown, could you please share the details on your sink/vanity? We are looking for something similar for our own tiny bathroom remodel. :) Thank you!

• kirkhall
    9 years ago

Code requirements are rarely about square footage, and usually about "clear footage" You must have 24" minimum clear (and in some locales, more) in front of the *bowl* of the toilet (not the flange). And, you must have a minimum of 30" for a toilet, more is better, measuring side to side (15" from the center on each side). And, you must have certain number of inches to the center of a sink from a wall, or a second sink center.

So, you need to pay attention to clearance requirements, not square footage.

• movinginva
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks @kirkhall, that makes me feel better.

• jakabedy
    9 years ago

I've been meaning to respond to the post but just finally took some photos. Our house is ca. 1960, when "master baths" were still just a convenience rather than a statement. The room is 42" x 103", right at 30 square feet. The interior of the shower is roomy, at 42 x 36. The curb of the shower takes up 6", which leaves 42 x 61 for the sink and the toilet.

It meets kirkhall's code measurements for the lateral 30" for the toilet, but there is only 20" from the front of the toilet to the closed door (even with the additional 2-3" gained by the door jamb in that space). The current toilets are those low models with elongated bowls. The original 1960 toilet probably wouldn't have stuck out so far.

Technically, this is DH's bathroom. I shower in there, but do all my getting ready in the hall bath, which isn't much bigger, but does have room for a small rolling cart for my bathroom stuff.

The downsides of the tiny master bath are (1) the two-step necessary for one to exit and one to enter the shower and (2) the fact that the door hits your knees if you close the door while using the toilet and (3) zero storage. DH has a little shelf that sits on top of the toilet and it seems to work for him. But it does what it's designed to do, and it's the first house I've ever had with a true master bath!
    {{gwi:2144462}}
    {{gwi:2144463}}
    {{gwi:2144464}}
    {{gwi:2144465}}

Sponsored
Dream Design Construction LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Loudoun County's Innovative Design-Build Firms