Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
brenda89_gw

After bathroom- don't like

Brenda89
11 years ago

I have painted the bathroom, still have a few things to finish. I don't like the stark white cabinet. The bathroom is not feeling classy like I want it to.

Comments (36)

• Debbie Laird
    11 years ago

This is my first time on this forum, I'm lurking for small bathroom ideas. I don't dislike the white cabinets or the soft paint, but I can invision a lighter shower curtain. Is the curtain too strong for the soft color? Just my two cents!

• ogrose_tx
    11 years ago

Is there some way you could break that door up a little, give it some depth? Maybe those half-rounds?

• Brenda89
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Just to remind everyone the walls are Benj. Moore Butte Rock the cabinet & trim is Benj. Moore Dove White. I made the curtain to match the shower curtain and yes that is a black garbage bag taped to the window in the picture I still need to get something to block the window. This bathroom is very small around 5x8 if memory serves me.

Lodalady....I'm not sure that the curtain is to strong I took the curtain with me when I picked out the colors. The "designer" helped me with the colors.

Ogrose what do you mean by half rounds?

• ogrose_tx
    11 years ago

LOL, Brenda, I knew you were going to ask me that! I'm terrible at explaining things; my husband is asleep or I would ask him. They are narrow strips that are flat on one side (that would go against the door) and round on the other, they would "sort" of look like molding. I'll ask him in the morning!

I also had the thought of bi-doors with the angled slats; they have them at Home Depot.

• ogrose_tx
    11 years ago

Well, he just got up, says it's real narrow molding that is put on the inside edges of the door to give it some interest.

• desertsteph
    11 years ago

the wall color is wrong (to me). It looks a fleshy color on my screen. I'd try a very light grey (I'm seeing the curtains as greyish and a berry/purple color). Some on the forums (maybe on kitchens or HD forum) have used a 'silver' color. I think silver is in its name.

Also, I'd put more substantial handles on the cabinet doors. The little knobs just seem lost on them. They add nothing to the 'look'.

the 'half rounds' would be like qtr round / shoe moulding trim. You can get decorative trim also at places like HD/lowe's.

• writersblock (9b/10a)
    11 years ago

Agree with desertsteph. Either change the wall color again or change everything else. Nothing goes together as you have it, sorry. Grey, grey blue, some of the changeable blue-gray-greens, but not beige with the white and and the shower curtain color.

This post was edited by writersblock on Tue, Jan 1, 13 at 22:57

• Brenda89
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Here is a little better picture. I think I need to go ahead and paint around the shower/tub area. I'm not sure the paint will adhere to the wall though it is some funky plastic type wall. I'm going to try and lightly sand it before painting.

Ogrose..I know what you are talking about now. I said something to husband about that a couple of days ago.

desertsteph...the curtain is teal/brown in color. I agree the knobs on the cabinet seem a little small.

• desertsteph
    11 years ago

even if teal and brown, the wall color still doesn't go with it. I'd take some of that fabric to the paint store. If you took it with you before, try a different paint store this time.

• EATREALFOOD
    11 years ago

Hi Brenda--I'm sorry that the salesperson gave you the wrong colors.I shop at BM all the time, I head straight for the "AURA" colors, everything mixes and matches so well. Love the coverage on Aura also.
    The wall and shower curtain are fighting with each other. Wow the curtain is teal/brown it looks grey maroon on my screen. I wouldn't paint the plastic wall of the tub surround. Sounds like the owner put in a tub surround for easy upkeep. Is that what it is ? Many people like how you can just wipe it down. I hate grout but I hate those hotel style tub surrounds even more.

• Brenda89
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Eatrealfood...the tub surround only goes up so far then the wall above is some rough feeling plastic stuff. Actually in the picture the tub surround stops just below the shower rod.

I will have to check out the AURA line although I'm not crazy about repainting, nor am I crazy about the cost of BM paint where I bought it. I was charged $20 for a quart of paint.

• Brenda89
    Original Author
    11 years ago

For a better picture of the shower curtain, go to Mr. Walton's store it is a Hometrends Lynden Shower Curtain.

• EATREALFOOD
    11 years ago

Brenda-You always pay more for the quarts...
    You will not like the cost of Aura, I think I paid close to $40-50/gal. I'm sure the costs are regional and I am in a high tax state. Lucky for me I only messed up one room(out of 4). I love the color(seedling)but it doesn't look great with my floor. Maybe I'll post for opinions :)
    Pick a less expensive paint if you really want to keep the shower curtain colors or switch to a different colored curtain. I can't believe that salesperson picked that color to coordinate with that shower curtain, clueless. Everyone has made one paint mistake--this is yours. I'm really annoyed with that clerk...

• Brenda89
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I'm annoyed with that clerk too. I thought I was doing good and had found someone that knew how to help. I hate being color challenged. I took the shower curtain with me, a picture of the bathroom, the counter top I painted and a close up of the wall board I would be covering. I also took in a paint chip of the brown I used on the bathroom cabinet. I guess I get to start all over with the paint.

• TxMarti
    11 years ago

I like the wall color with curtains and shade. They don't match, but they are complementary. You did a great job on the shade, btw. I think the wall color is probably a good match for the sink, though I can't see much of it in the photo. If I recall correctly, and that's debatable, your sink cabinet is dark wood, right?

• Shades_of_idaho
    11 years ago

On my monitor it looks like your wall color matches some of the background colors in the shower curtain.Last picture. I do not think it fights the curtain at all.

Can you try some big bulky dark handles for your cabinet before you repaint?

Yes I would paint above the shower. Not the lower surround part. Just the top part.It looks unfinished in your picture. That might be the problem. I painted our plastic bathroom stuff and years later it is still doing fine. I did use a primer and oil paint but I do not think that really is necessary.

To me I just think you need a little dark on the white cabinets to tie the whole look together. I think you can always take them back if it is not what you are looking for. I would not be concerned at all if they do not match your faucet.

• Houseofsticks
    11 years ago

You're just missing a collaborative piece. add wooden board painted white with brown lettering and add some teal to go with your other color maybe a bird. On the window and opaque frosted contact paper make sure you using X-Acto knife. If you need it less opaque use contact rice paper. On the cabinet doors use chunkier handles. Please don't paint the shower surround Instead raise the curtain rod toward the ceiling and add a topper to the curtain. If you have a nice tub add an old door knob for a tie back/towel holder while showering, If not Just pulled the curtain closed for guests.

• desertsteph
    11 years ago

I like the idea of moving the curtain rod up a bit - and maybe out an inch or so to cover more white. Otherwise, I don't think the white looks bad - it matches the ceiling, the doors - and the tub and surround.

They make color covers to hide the metal of the rod if you don't like that and decorative rings for them. I've gotta be looking for some rings myself. I've looked at W and online but haven't seen any I like. Guess I'll have to go out of my comfort zone to look. (out of the house and other than W)

"I think I paid close to $40-50/gal"

holy moses! I'm too cheap to pay that - or 20.00 a qt!

• leenamark
    11 years ago

I don't find the white color cabinet bad because it can match with almost all colors but the curtain color does not match with that of the wall. You should try something similar or in contrast to the wall color. One more point I consider important is changing the handles and knobs on the cabinet, as already suggested earlier.

• kmcg
    11 years ago

If you're looking for more affordable paint to redo the wall, check the Glidden Polished Limestone at HD - my new favorite neutral. It's gray-blue-green (very subtle and changes in the light) so it might look great with the teal of your curtains. I'm not sure about how it would go with the floor; if the floor is predominantly yellow, it might not work, but it does look like there's a fleck of pale teal in there.

• TxMarti
    11 years ago

Here's a link to Brenda's post with before photos, for those of you who haven't seen it. It shows the other side of the bathroom with the sink cabinet.

More photos

• anicee
    11 years ago

I personally think it's quite nice.

Anicee

• desertsteph
    11 years ago

yes, the bathroom does look quite nice - but it doesn't seem just right to the OP yet.

thanks marti for the old post link. I do think a silver/greyish color will play well with the counter top and floor too.

brenda, can you try to get one of those small sample jars of one of the silver greys? i've seen them at local hardware stores here for under 5.00. Or you could look for a 'rejected' can of paint that is light enough to be retinted at HD or lowe's. I check for those to use in my closets and for shelving. I got a great qt of an off white/beige color for 4.00 last spring and used on shelves. You could use it just to try the color before you buy a full gallon (invest big bucks in the color).

looking at other pics (close up) it does seem like you have a rod cover and rings - duh on me!

• _sophiewheeler
    11 years ago

Too pale, too pinky orange, and too light. The fabric demands some drama. Treat the room like a jewel box.

Sherwin Williams Rocky River

And replace the cabinet hinges with concealed hinges. Add some molding to the flat panels to create some depth. And consider painting the woodwork a very light gray instead of white.

• EATREALFOOD
    11 years ago

I like that paint & curtain together.

• desertsteph
    11 years ago

very good ideas hollysprings!

I like the paint option you posted

• wi-sailorgirl
    11 years ago

I second (well, third or more, I guess) putting some molding on those cabinet doors. That will spruce them right up. That with a bit of a paint change as has been mentioned and it will be looking even better in no time.

• Brenda89
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I'm headed to the store today to get SW paint swatch and see about trim & different hardware.

• Nancy in Mich
    11 years ago

When I pulled up your BM Butte Rock, it showed as a completely different color than I am seeing in either picture in your bathroom. I wonder if the lighting in the bath pictures is influencing what we are seeing. The cards with "goes well with" colors for Butte Rock show it with both a deep blue, even deeper than the one Hollysprings chose. It also shows it with a grayish blue like in your shower curtain. The butte rock sample shows it is a dark bisque color. Your wall color is showing as a peach color in the first photo and as a mustard color in the second photo.

If your walls do look like the Butte Rock sample, I am still not sure that it is the right color for the room. I think that Butte Rock would make a good complementary color (like a trim color) for a room painted one of the dark gray blues, as Hollysprings has shown you. There may very well be a Butte Rock color in the background in the shower curtain. It just isn't prominent enough to be the main color in a room with those curtains.

I know that you don't want to repaint. You may have to wait until the budget can accommodate the cost, but if you want a classy bath, I think you are going to have to bite the bullet.

I have pictures of what can be done with adding molding to a flat door panel. I started out with modern sleek office cabinets. My carpenter added a picture frame style molding to the door with a simple curved base molding, then added a smaller molding inside that.

Here is a link that might be useful: door panels with paint in library

• EATREALFOOD
    11 years ago

WOW nancy I like that. It looks so finished.

• Brenda89
    Original Author
    11 years ago

First I want to say thank you to everyone for all the suggestions.

Hollysprings...I checked out the Rocky River and found it was to dark in my bathroom.

I may have made another mistake but I repainted using Glidden Whispering Wheat. I will post pictures in the next couple of days. I just painted and it needs to dry and will probably need a second coat.

• Nancy in Mich
    11 years ago

That could work, I am eager to see the results.

Here is a link that might be useful: Whispering Wheat

• User
    11 years ago

My ideas with the window and the doors involve shutters. The bottom of the window, and maybe the top, can be moveable louver shutters, and keep the bottoms closed. I'd paint them that BM Dove color like the other woodwork. You can get most standard sizes at Lowes or HDepot. And, OGRose mentioned the fixed slats (which are called LOUVERS, sweetie) in a bifold wooden door. You can have them open from the middle as your present doors look, or, as I like, open from the right side and fold back to the left. I'd not use button knobs. I'd get the long chrome handle and mount it vertically.

I had a 5 x 7 bathroom, and you need to maximize the open feeling. I'd really lose the window curtain, even though I do like a roman shade.

If you decide to keep the present doors, how about looking for the beveled mirror tiles that can increase the reflection of space. I used them on a door and it would make a good infill if you decided to border it with a flat molding around the mirror tiles. Don't make them colored, just plain mirror with the bevel adds a lot of class.

The picture I include is the tower my DH built from 3 fixed louver panels from old bifold closet doors.

Glad to have you join the forum. We can always use more folks who are involved in making small spaces look great.

• jannie
    11 years ago

I'd fo to Michaels Craft Store, look at decals and find something I like to add color to those doors. Just my opinion.

• lavender_lass
    11 years ago

All I'd do is change the door pulls. Get something that is more in style with your fabric...and looks good with whatever color you decide to use on the doors. Hope that helps :)

• Brenda89
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Not sure which hardware to choose. Should I go with satin nickle to match the faucet or should I go dark. Is 3" big enough or should I try the long (6") slender pulls?

Sponsored
Michael Nash Design, Build & Homes
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars254 Reviews
Northern Virginia Design Build Firm | 18x Best of Houzz