Return to the Smaller Homes Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
small garage into home

Posted by writersblock (My Page) on
Mon, Jan 21, 13 at 15:36

Very interesting conversion of an old garage into a very small home in Bordeaux. You need to watch the video to see how it really works:

Here is a link that might be useful: bordeaux garage conversion

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: small garage into home

Now that is using space wisely. I love it!

o

Yeah, I've seen other studio type apartments with the one-big-piece-of-furniture concept, but not as well organized as this one is.

o

It would take me 2 seconds to pack & move there !!!

o

Fascinating how they crammed so much function into such a little space. Most interesting how, despite the size, they sacrificed the corner to make the patio area which adds a lot of light and function....so long as the weather is nice. Not sure I'd enjoy being there on a rainy day....

o

I love it. But I also note that the owner has two homes -- the other in Paris. So it's sort of a pied-a-terre for him, which allows him to keep the possessions to a minimum.

o

>Not sure I'd enjoy being there on a rainy day....

Yes, or at night with it all closed up.

o

I watched the video twice just to listen to the language and accent. Great design, but I don't think there was a way to have both the kitchen window and the large slider door open at the same time. Liked how they used the kitchen window sill to hold wine bottles and glasses.

o

Writersblock, if you're still around, thank you for bringing attention to this fascinating conversion. I watched the entire video and thoroughly enjoyed seeing how they made it all work in such a small space. I wonder how bad noise is in that location. It's a real inspiration to put our thinking caps on to make our homes work as efficiently as possible.

o

It looks like if the big slider is open, then you can get about half the kitchen window uncovered.

I'm not clear on how the stairs work, or if there are stairs or a ladder to get up to the bed and still have room for the bathroom door down below....the pics aren't clear on that at all...

o

Very cool. I love how they kept the original stable feel of the building by using the sliding doors. The climb up to the bed (and climb down to use the bathroom) would be a show stopper for me.

It appears that you would not have to close the wood doors to secure the house, since there are sliding glass doors.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Smaller Homes Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here