Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lavender_lass

Kitchen plan...still need a little help :)

lavender_lass
13 years ago

Here's the plan, for just the work area of the kitchen. As some of you know, it's open to a seating area on one side and dining on the other.

I posted this on the kitchen forum, but I wanted to get your input, too :)

One square equals one foot...and I'm still not sure about the dishwasher. I had it on the right, many thought I should change it to give more prep space by the stove, but now they're saying I need the trash by the fridge!

Thanks for your help...and what do you think of the prep sink on the island? I was going to use a work table, but I really need a little extra storage...and I was thinking I could put some shelves with cookbooks, on the 'south' side of the island. No storage where the stools will be, just countertop.

Oh, and I'd like pull out shelves in the cabinet next to the prep sink and between the range and wall oven. Everyone always says to use drawers on the kitchen forum, but I live on a farm, which means mice sometimes get in (even with the barn kitties) and they crawl up the back of the drawers and get inside...unless you seal the back of the cabinet. Ick!

Okay, enough of that...here's the plan...thanks for looking :)

{{gwi:1596105}}

Comments (13)

• TxMarti
    13 years ago

I like it. I don't know enough to answer any of your questions though. Who is the "they" who said you need the trash by the fridge, and why?

• User
    13 years ago

You know, Lavender, I think the trash moved to the spot between fridge and main sink would be okay.

However, are you going to have electrical in your island?
    If so, the trash compactor could go there on the end. Are you planning for a garbage disposal? And if so, in which sink?

The DWasher between sink and stove is not going to be a deal breaker. That would be used AFTER cooking for the most part, with the exception of inserting a few prep dishes as you go along with your cooking. Wet stuff going into the compactor would be dripping only on the counter top if it was located to the left of your main sink. It seems you have a double sink there anyway, so I'm guessing that is your garbage disposal location? Make sure it is located in the sink closest to your trash compactor.

The DW is 24" wide unless you get apartment sized which is 18" wide. The door opens out to 27" into your walkway. I think you are showing a 40-42" width between island and wall cabinets?

And if you want a little more counter space for the prep sink in your island, how about a fold down/hinged piece which can be fixed for your placement of hot pans from the ovens? Maybe something like a pretty and thick butcher block? It could be as wide as your space devoted to the stools, about 15-18" deep and as wide as your island counter top.

Just my thoughts on this space, since I truly love the kitchen layout everywhere. Hope you have open house and invite us to come see the real thing.

• kimkitchy
    13 years ago

OK, why does moving the DW from the right to left give more prep space by the stove? I don't get it, either way it has a counter top. My opinion on dishwashers is that you put it on the side of your predominant hand. Ours is on the right side and both DH and I are right handed. We use the counter top over the DW for prep all the time.

On a tangent... have you considered buying dishdrawers? We LOVE our FP dishdrawers. It is just DH and I and it is convenient for doing smaller loads. The drawers don't pull out as far into your aisle as a regular door and there's no "trip hazard"! However, if you use your DW for large pans and cookie sheets, then dishdrawers might not be for you. If I had the space, I'd put a single dishdrawer on either side of the sink with a usable storage drawer below each.

If you want a prep sink, get a prep sink. That location looks good. Now, on my soap box, I think prep sinks are touted as a necessity over on the kitchens forum. They add expense, they are usually only a few steps from the main sink and, to me, for a two person household they are overkill. I know you have extended family visiting and helping out sometimes though, so maybe you do need one for practical purposes.

Oh, on your main sink, if you want a double check out the Kohler Smart Divide sinks. I have a standard double sink and now I wish I'd purchased the Smart Divide. The divider is lower than full height and because it is lower you can tilt cookie sheets down, pan handles fit over the divider, etc. into the body of the sink for washing without splashing outside the sink. It's a double that can act as a single bowl. Great idea.

If you want a cabinet with roll out shelves, get one. I have one under my cooktop and I love it. Over on the kitchens forum they are very opinionated about "all lower drawers". Bah! I don't buy their arguments that it saves a motion. Half the time I just open a door and reach into the front of the roll out to get the most used items anyway - that's one motion. Get what you think is practical and what you like.

Love the idea of a cookbook shelf on the end of your island.

(Wow, re-reading my response, I sound "testy" today! Sorry about that. I like your plans!)

• lavender_lass
    Original Author
    13 years ago

You all are great! :)

Not only do I appreciate the help, but I'm giggling. They are the people on the kitchen forum...and one gal was really nice. She pointed out that some things need to go from the fridge into the trash...in a hurry! LOL

No garbage disposal (septic) and probably no trash compactor. I was thinking one of those slide out cabinets, with the garbage and maybe a recycling bin. Tired of the garbage can in the kitchen and would love to have it hidden, but convenient.

I've been wondering about the prep sink (they are always recommended) and was thinking it would be great for prepping veggies. However, I also want a nice space for baking. I guess it depends on whether I'd prep, between the sink and stove...or at the island. One for prepping veggies, one for baking and if I use the area between the sink and stove for baking, I might need the dishwasher on the left. That's the only time I really load dishes, as I go.

So...I need to figure out exactly how I plan to use this space! Do any of you have an island (I never have had one) and if so, how do you use the space?

• krycek1984
    13 years ago

Lavender, it's really up to you and your personal preferences.

I prefer having more counter space next to the fridge, that way I can get stuff out, set it there, and move on. Or some space to make sandwhiches, etc.

You would not want the dishwasher next to your stove because you would not be able to comfortably stand in front of your sink at the same time as having the dishwasher open. I think it's better where it is.

The trash...who cares...it's trash. as long as it's in your main work area it's not a huge deal where it goes.

• phoggie
    13 years ago

My trash is beside the sink...and I love it there. So many scraps from the dishes can go right into the trash before I put them in the DW.

• User
    13 years ago

O-I-C, Lavender, about the TRASH now. What you are talking about is what I meant by "recycling."

And, it is possible to put a double basket (two tall kitchen can roll out unit), underneath the main sink.

That arrangement is possible if you choose a kitchen sink that has the shallower sink on the side you want the trash on, and the plummbing water trap under the sink is located FAR BACK, and not forward where it wastes space. I think that some ADA (disabilities) approved sinks (which could let wheel chairs roll beneath) are set up that way and would be a fine choice for the trash.

I'm planning on a hidden trash receptacle too. Small one for the "wet" stuff, and a larger one for the dry stuff. I might even have a compost can which could be taken outside for the active compost pile. Since you have a farm and perhaps deal with a lot of fresh and organic produce, I'd think about adding one.

I don't have a garbage disposal by choice. I think they tend to gum up the sewers in the city, and I find them rather dangerous if you have kids in the house. Ugly looking things too.

I know the folks on Kitchens are perfectionists, and that overwhelms my very simple way of doing things. Many years ago, I read a book by the real pioneer in industrial engineering, Lillian Gilbreth (mother of the CHEAPER BY THE DOZEN clan), It was named MANAGEMENT IN THE HOME. Don't know if it is still in print or not. Great stuff in that book.

Phoggie, with your trash beside the sink, either side, it won't drip gooey sticky greasy stuff on the floor, or anywhere else. I had a double sink angled in the corner of my MoccasinLanding kitchen. Adjacent to the sink was the trash compactor (they are narrow things), and then beyond it was the dishwasher. So I had room to stand in front of the sink to rinse off dishes and drop whatever into the compactor, and drop the rinsed dish into the DW....one move and done. No fuss no muss. And yes, I do rinse my dishes because I'd rather get the food off in the sink than have to clean out a DW filter. It's my way of doing things.

• lavender_lass
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Kimkitchy- I forgot to answer your question about dishwasher drawers. While they're very handy, I think a regular dishwasher will probably work better for us...since we wash a lot of mixing bowls and pans.

Thanks for the support on the pull out shelves, over drawers, too :)

Krycek- Thanks for the input. I did end up moving the dishwasher, but hopefully there's enough room to still work at the sink.

Phoggie and ML- You made such good points about the trash, I decided to move it.

Here's the new plan. After thinking about it...and comparing it to my current layout...I decided to take out the prep sink. I think I'll need the space more for baking! I ended up putting the trash in the island...between the bookcase and the pull out shelves.

Also putting a smaller trash/compost under the sink. Thanks everyone...what do you think?

{{gwi:1518836}}

• TxMarti
    13 years ago

I've only had an island one time in a house we rented for a short time. I didn't care for the island. That kitchen wasn't planned well and the refrigerator was across from the sink with the island between them. It was a long island and I was always having to walk around it.

But I have a friend who has an island and loves it.

• young-gardener
    13 years ago

Your island idea with the shelves sounds pretty. It seems to me you wouldn't need a prep sink...but then again, I've never had one. :)

I would probably choose based on what was going to be in the cabinets in each area. For example, my grandma keeps tupperware in her corner cabinet. I use tupperware at the same time that I use the DW, so I wouldn't want to close one to get to the other. If, though, I planned to keep cereal in the corner, having the DW there wouldn't be such a problem. You can think of it the same way with the fridge. Will the open DW be blocking your path for cleanup if in either location...for example, if you are loading the sink from the range, or whatnot. I don't know...just brainstorming.

The closest thing to your experience I've had is that my DW is currently directly next to the stove. We really don't like having two appliances side by side because it's hard to use both at once. But, that could go either way. If it's to the right, it would be tight to stand between them if (and I'm sure it's rare if ever) both the DW oven are open.

I heard once that location of a DW in relation to the sink is best based on whether you are right of left handed. Now wouldn't THAT be a luxury!

• lavender_lass
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Young- We have the dishwasher on the right, in our current kitchen, and it works really well for us...even though I'm right handed and my husband is left handed! LOL

Excellent point about the tupperware...and that's something I've been thinking about, too. If the foils and plastic wrap etc. are in the cabinet next to the fridge, then the dishwasher should go on the other side. I could also have silverware between the fridge and sink, which would be closer to the table.

While I like the idea of a prep sink, I don't think I really need one. It would be nice to have a sink for watering plants or scrubbing veggies, but then I remembered...I have a sink planned for the pantry, which is much better for both those things :)

• TxMarti
    13 years ago

Our dishwasher is on the left and we are both right-handed. I figured the builder did it that way to get it closer to the incoming and outgoing water lines.

• User
    13 years ago

Lavender, the sink for plants in the pantry is the BEST idea.
    I don't like to have dirt fall in my kitchen sink. Sometimes plants have some soil bacteria. Like, when folks are in the hospital, they don't want you bringing plants potted in dirt because of the possible contamination.

I don't have a prep sink, and I don't really need one when we redo our kitchen. In fact, the new sink will be a single wide and deep sink with the drain in the center back--so the piping can be kept near the back wall and the cabinet can be better used. Even though we plan to take in the back porch by removing the present exterior wall, our kitchen will still be considered small. I'm looking forward to having an undermount stainless steel sink and a Silestone quartz countertop, with one side of the countertop grooved to let dishes drain.

I am left handed, but most of us lefties are really more ambidextrous than you righties are. We've had to adapt to a world made for you righties. So I find it does not matter to me which SIDE the DW is on, just so it is beside the sink.

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!